2010 China Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You keep forgetting that nothing in the Sporting Regulations delineates where you can drive 'at speed' in the pit lane. Just where you can work on the cars.

And two seconds before htat picture was taken Vettel was 6 feet to the left. As for what should have happened? I know what I would have done in Vettels shoes but theres a reason I'm not in F1 eihter.

Also I wasn't arguing the actions that took place, just Vettel's revisionist theory and how Hamitlon gets strung up for such things but Vettel doesn't.
Vettel was on the "fast lane" while Hamilton was on the "inner lane".
The Sporting Regulations say: "the inner lane is the only area where any work can be carried out on a car".

That means where Hamilton was driving, other teams can be working on their car which means you are not allowed to drive there.
You are not allowed to work on the "fast lane" because that is reserved for driving.
It doesn't say you can't drive on the inner lane but it surely means it.

Besides, since Hamilton was few feet behind Vettel and they were both on speed limiter, what could have he achieved? Even if they both were squeezed into the "fast lane".
Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting to note some of the comments regarding Kamui Kobayashi.
It would appear as though he is trying to emulate Takuma Sato's driving style ... and affinity for carbon fiber.

I think he's trying too hard with a car that isn't as good as the one he drove last year.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gents,

I think the incident was just good hard racing. They fought going into the pits and the fought leaving the pits.

Hamilton tried to get out in front, then Vettel moved over to reduce his space, then Hamilton backed off and tucked in behind when it was clear he was going to run out of road. I'd much rather see this type of racing given a little leeway than having the stewards basically decide the race through penalties.

I think Alonso's pit entrance pass on Massa was the same type of good hard racing and should dispel any rumors that Ferrari wouldn't let Alonso pass Massa.

Massa had better get his head screwed on straight because the girl from Spain is not his friend.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I think he's trying too hard with a car that isn't as good as the one he drove last year.
+1 I think he has more talent than his current record would indicate.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Gents,

I think the incident was just good hard racing. They fought going into the pits and the fought leaving the pits.

Hamilton tried to get out in front, then Vettel moved over to reduce his space, then Hamilton backed off and tucked in behind when it was clear he was going to run out of road. I'd much rather see this type of racing given a little leeway than having the stewards basically decide the race through penalties.

I think Alonso's pit entrance pass on Massa was the same type of good hard racing and should dispel any rumors that Ferrari wouldn't let Alonso pass Massa...
Very true.

I think it's the result of having a former F1 driver as one of the guys giving, or not giving penalties (although Martin Brundle said he would've given a penalty).
And I think it's even better since it's different guy every race weekend, so far Alain Prost, Tom Kristensen, Johnny Herbert and Alexander Wurz have been there.
Much better than what we've seen before.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Massa had better get his head screwed on straight because the girl from Spain is not his friend.
Little Miss Sunshine has no friends (and as a side note, she is also quickly losing engines).
She is the black widow of modern F1 ... she mates with a team and then leaves it to die....McLaren, Renault and now Ferrari.
Devoid of morals or character, a complete failure as a role model for young drivers IMHO.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gents,

I think the incident was just good hard racing. They fought going into the pits and the fought leaving the pits..
I don't really mind the hot entry. You could call it rude or not sporting like, but it is racing with a lot a stake.

I do draw the line with pressing side by side stuff in pit late and going over the painted area. Pit lane is the only place with speed limits and unlike most US tracks there is not pit wall. Had those wheels interlocked and hammy's car been tossed around it is very likly some crew members would have been hit and injured.

Pit lane is already very dangerious and you don't need to two guys going at it side by side. Fact is Vettel was in front even if it was just 1/2 a car lenght. Hammy needed to back off and tuck in. Then fight once they cleared pit lane.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M758
I don't really mind the hot entry. You could call it rude or not sporting like, but it is racing with a lot a stake.

I do draw the line with pressing side by side stuff in pit late and going over the painted area. Pit lane is the only place with speed limits and unlike most US tracks there is not pit wall. Had those wheels interlocked and hammy's car been tossed around it is very likly some crew members would have been hit and injured.

Pit lane is already very dangerious and you don't need to two guys going at it side by side. Fact is Vettel was in front even if it was just 1/2 a car lenght. Hammy needed to back off and tuck in. Then fight once they cleared pit lane.
^ + 1
The presence of the pit lane speed limiters should tell the drivers that there can be no passing in the pits...unless Hamilton was going to come off the pit limiter, I could see no way of him passing Vettel at that point...1/2 a car length lead was the same as 2 car lengths if both were on the pit limiters.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Folks,

As much as I like the fact they are letting them race, there are still "Shenanigans" going on IMHO. When the stewarts informed the viewing public that they would "investigate the incident after the race" there was still over 1/2 the race to be played out. This happened between the 2 SC periods as well.

Why does this have to be investigated after the race? I would understand more if there were only a few laps left, but over 1/2 a race left to go? Unacceptable.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

.....and how penal is the threat of being moved back in the next race's starting grid? Does this seem like a deterrent?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I look at this as a sliding scale where no enforcement is a dangerous free for all (basically anarchy on the race track) and heavy enforcement is a very sterile race where competitors are afraid to pass.

Personally, I'd prefer the stewards error much more toward the side of "anarchy" than "sterile" or heavy enforcement. By that standard, I think the stewards called the last race appropriately.

- Alonso, jumped the start and got a "drive through", but when he fought Massa going into the pits he got a pass.

- Hamilton and Vettel got a little racy on pit "in" and "out" but it was pretty clean so they got a warning.

Both sets of calls seem about right to me.

If there was any area I'd make it clear to the drivers that the stewards would call tighter it would be clearly dangerous moves and blocking moves. Passing is hard enough in F1 so I like the "one move" rule.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

On a more humerous note, on Saturday night, I was looking for the race on-line as I was in a hotel room away on business. Didnt find it Then, it hit me, since I was in Japan, I was only an hour difference in time from China, so, the race was actually on Sunday -- LOLOLOL
Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Interesting to note some of the comments regarding Kamui Kobayashi.
It would appear as though he is trying to emulate Takuma Sato's driving style ... and affinity for carbon fiber.

errr. nah ... no talent , like that other great pick you had .......

Originally Posted by ltc
Little Miss Sunshine has no friends (and as a side note, she is also quickly losing engines).
She is the black widow of modern F1 ... she mates with a team and then leaves it to die....McLaren, Renault and now Ferrari.
Devoid of morals or character, a complete failure as a role model for young drivers IMHO.
Get over it Lewis, take your meds, it was only a date rape , not like you didn't know ...

Old 04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at this as a sliding scale where no enforcement is a dangerous free for all (basically anarchy on the race track) and heavy enforcement is a very sterile race where competitors are afraid to pass.

Personally, I'd prefer the stewards error much more toward the side of "anarchy" than "sterile" or heavy enforcement. By that standard, I think the stewards called the last race appropriately.

- Alonso, jumped the start and got a "drive through", but when he fought Massa going into the pits he got a pass.

- Hamilton and Vettel got a little racy on pit "in" and "out" but it was pretty clean so they got a warning.

Both sets of calls seem about right to me.

If there was any area I'd make it clear to the drivers that the stewards would call tighter it would be clearly dangerous moves and blocking moves. Passing is hard enough in F1 so I like the "one move" rule.
Massa is a lot slower than Alonso , Stool is a lot slower than Rosberg , both items off my told you so list ...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Massa is a lot slower than Alonso , Stool is a lot slower than Rosberg , both items off my told you so list ...
We're only 4 races in - it's a long season. If they are both off the pace in September, then it's time for them to go.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: 2010 China Grand Prix