2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Malaysian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the race was entertaing . This should be an interesting championship. Red Bull looks really, really quick but reliability will be the determining factor. Ferrari's performances scare me. They don't have the pace of Red Bull, the car has potential overheating problems, which I'm sure can be cured, but at what cost? Now, they have this gearbox issue. Mclaren, in my opinion, are still a bit behind Ferrari, but Lewis can probably make up the gap, as I believe he is faster on a given lap than Felipe and Fernando (destroying his tires getting there). They have to find more pace to give him a chance but at least they've been reliable. Button will be strong...when the car is juuuuuuuust right.

IMO the way these teams stand is the epitome of why we need to allow testing. Let's give everyone the chance to research and develop the car rather than hoping they hit it out of the ball park at the beginning of the season.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aaawwwwhh did the princess of spain's car blow up..........

hamilton radio: you have been warned for excessive swerving.
seriously when are they gonna get rid of those nancy prissy propper tea sipping old british farts out of the control room and let them race
to prove my point this guy faces a very british crime of "inconsiderate driving" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXmR4Mbnk4
Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Red Bull can't win. Webber is ****e. Ferrari, Mclaren etc will win the title etc etc etc...

Webber did indeed let Vettel past. Bet he's kicking himself now. He was also very unlucky in the pits again. This time a big delay with the front left wheel gun D'oh.

Pity the rain didn't eventuate as it was a pretty boring race I thought. Only vaguely interesting when guys went in too hard under brakes and understeered off the next corner to be re taken. It seems like it could be all about the pit stops again...

Who's said the RB can't win? The fact that Webber combined with that car is a top 5 competitor says enough about the superiority of that RB chassis. RB had no one to challenge them today, they basically were doing practice laps as the real competition was too far back in the pack to give them any worries. And even still the real competition is a couple of steps behind in terms of outright speed anyways. Red Bull got to drive out front and preserve the car for the whole race. Vettel wasn't even trying............

Unless Ferrari have reliability problems similar to Renault, they will still win the constructors. Red Bull a close second favorite. McLaren only wins by default if both Ferrari and RB have lots of problems.

Don't forget, were it not for a bonehead move in qualy, it's likely that one if not both Ferrari's would have been on the podium barring McLaren's qualy blunder as well.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Kudos to Vettel and Red Bull, a deserved victory and great race due to the reversion of the grid after the q1 cockup. It would have been a different race IMO if the McClaren's et al had started at the front .

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Red Bull can't win. Webber is ****e. Ferrari, Mclaren etc will win the title etc etc etc...

Webber did indeed let Vettel past. Bet he's kicking himself now. He was also very unlucky in the pits again. This time a big delay with the front left wheel gun D'oh.

Pity the rain didn't eventuate as it was a pretty boring race I thought. Only vaguely interesting when guys went in too hard under brakes and understeered off the next corner to be re taken. It seems like it could be all about the pit stops again...

Webbo's Performance today was disappointing , yes they did let him down in the pits , but he still let Vettel thru for the win.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Today's race confirms allot:

1) The Vettel/RedBull combo is the fastest when it holds up.
2) Hamilton has got IT and is the most aggressive driver, but terrible on his tires.
3) Fernando Alonso is probably the best all around driver in F1 at the moment.
3) Kubica is probably the fourth best driver (see 1-2-3 above).
4) Nico has a handle on Schumy
5) Sutil, Alguersuari, Liuzzi are proving that F1 drivers are all very talented and are only needing equipment to prove it
6) Force India is for real
7) Jenson is not as fast as Lewis
8) Massa is not as good/fast as Alonso
9) Mark Webber sucks

Just my $.10

Alonso and Hamilton are top tier , both whiners and winners...... we should discuss this over the Finns Patron ..

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Fixed it for ya.

Originally Posted by wanna911
Who's said the RB can't win? The fact that Webber combined with that car is a top 5 competitor says enough about the superiority of that RB chassis. RB had no one to challenge them today, they basically were doing practice laps as the real competition was too far back in the pack to give them any worries. And even still the real competition is a couple of steps behind in terms of outright speed anyways. Red Bull got to drive out front and preserve the car for the whole race. Vettel wasn't even trying............

Unless Ferrari have reliability problems similar to Renault, they will still win the constructors. Red Bull a close second favorite. McLaren only wins by default if both Ferrari and RB have lots of problems.

Don't forget, were it not for a bonehead move in qualy, it's likely that one if not both Ferrari's would have been on the podium barring McLaren's qualy blunder as well.
Yes would have been a different race of sorts if not for the Q1 cockup ....

Drive of the race : Shared ..... Alonso & Hamilton
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great race. Enjoyed it immensely. I state again that I am liking the new format. Some of the tires/pit-in time spots have really played into the overall strategy. Button is a prime example.

Malaysia has always been one of my personal favorites. Love the track, the architecture and the chance of rain to mix it up.

C.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:32 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
You don't have to be an ex-F1 driver to notice that Webber does not finish races as well as other drivers on the grid. It is unfortunate that he gets the short end of the stick more often then not, but at the end of the day, there are many other drivers I would choose to partner Vettel besides Webber.

If you are indeed offended, I apologize for having an opinion about an F1 driver after racing many years myself, and watching F1 consistently for 30+ years. Please let me know the requirements for posting an opinion about F1 on Rennlist and I will happily abide by the rules or guidelines that are set.

-PPo
I'm not offended at all and I'm not belittling your experience either. I realise that this is just a forum and people are free to express their opinions. Guess I just got tired of the repeated Webber bashing. Sure, as an Aussie I'm sticking up for him, but that's not based on blind patriotism. He can drive. He has been rated for a long time by many very experienced people from the F1 circus. Recently in OZ Jackie Stewart was saying how he could win the title.

Unfortunately starts aren't one of his strong suits and he clearly thought he had the 1st corner won yesterday. I couldn't believe what he did either and it cost him the race. I suppose I find it a bit laughable when you have someone that is winning races, setting fastest laps, and qualifying well, yet people are still banging on their keys that he is incompetent and almost as if he shouldn't even be taking part in racing. I'm not limiting that to just Webber either.

Anyway unlike some I actually didn't find that race much of a spectacle. Couple of interesting battles but that was about it. As far as LH weaving, I think this was not blocking at all. He was trying to shake him off rather than defending excessively. Can't see anything wrong with this at all. What are you meant to do, just sit there and let people climb all over you or pass??
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Alonso in defeat was AMAZING. Who else could do what he did today? Schumacher, yes in his day when he only had 1 gear in the Benneton, but to have his amount of speed with a problem everytime he downshifted? Fantastic drive.

Alonso would have passed Button easily today if he could get off the corners, but that gear problem was just too much.

Hamilton was great again, but he always does something to give you a sour taste like the weaving back and forth. The sporting regs clearly state you have one move, not 3.

All Mercedes engined cars are clearly the fastest down the straight. Sutil holding off the mightly McLaren of Hamilton is just one example.

Rosberg is REALLY coming into his own. He's going to be special.

Kubica, doing the most with the least.

I'm convinced that if the Ferrari's would have come in 3-4 today had it not been for their poor qualifying. They had the speed on the McLarens, but were too far back.

Massa still doesn't look quite 100%. ALonso is much faster and Massa takes too long to pass a clearly slower car.

After taking himself and Hamilton out, Webber wasn't about to hit yet another car was he? And definitely not his own teammate who had a jump on him at the start? A little joke for our resident Aussie who is a little sensitive. Don't worry mate, if it was Kimi, The Flying Finn would be all over everyone too.

Luis defends his countryman Alonso, The Finn, Kimi and Heikki K. and you Webber. No Jamacian driver's yet for Mr. Wayne.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
...Alonso and Hamilton are top tier , both whiners and winners...... we should discuss this over the Finns Patron .. ...
And Vettel should not be in that group..? Besides going out in Q3 with full wets (arguably a mistake), after the 3 races, he hasn't made a single mistake and has been the fastest in them all...

Oh wait, I get it, since Vettel's a winner, but not a whiner, he doesn't belong with them.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right now, vettel has the unbeatable combination. ***** the size of grapefruits and awesome equipment.

i enjoyed the race, stayed up for it, and paid for it when the kids were up early looking for easter baskets.

i didn't see any issue with hamilton's weaving. he was being followed, not blocking. there's a big difference.

fantastic drive by alonso with the equipment problems. 3 ferraris DNF though - takes a lot of the media focus off red bull i'll bet.

also, i can't believe they're having these wheel nut issues this year. testing anyone??

besides the obvious battles here and there (lots of coverage early for battles for 15th place ?) i was just as engrossed to see if the weather would come in early. hammy would have been set up very well. they gave it the right strategy considering they didn't have the aero speed in the sweepers.

now, what the hell will i do next weekend?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I hope that the law which limits to one swerve is based on blocking. As we all saw, what LH did was not block, but to escape. Clearly different.

I guess it's natural to defend your countrymen but I've also defended Button and others. In truth I salute these guys. I imagine it would be a sensory overload for 99% of us to try and drive one of these things. Their lives would be very different compared to most of ours too. No wonder they carry on from time to time. Remember how cosseted and young LH is. He actually speaks quite well and shows a good education. He is still very young and green on life matters.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I think I understand exactly where you are coming from 333... Sometimes the relentless negativity is a bit much, regardless of the driver it's directed at. All these guys are phenomenal, and if you look hard enough, they all have likeable traits too.

It was good to see Vettel win today, as the past two races he really did seem to be robbed of fortune. Imagine how the points would look if his car had persevered in Bahrain and Australia?

Alonso drove very well again. I agree with his philosophical stance that if the engine was going to blow, better to do it while stuck in 8th rather than leading!

Actually, there was a lot of good driving in this race, Alguersuari looked very handy again and Force India has really made strides. I was worried that Renault might be a purgatory for Kubica, but he is really taking the bull by the horns there.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
And Vettel should not be in that group..? Besides going out in Q3 with full wets (arguably a mistake), after the 3 races, he hasn't made a single mistake and has been the fastest in them all...

Oh wait, I get it, since Vettel's a winner, but not a whiner, he doesn't belong with them.
What can i say, Vettel is a great kid and Driver , So far he has shown us he is fast, Not a whiner and not a racer like the other 2 IMO, eventually you will see , it takes you about 2 yrs ..

Remember he was only racing Webbo today , it will be a lot different when he has to race Alonso and Hammy !
Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
What can i say, Vettel is a great kid and Driver , So far he has shown us he is fast, Not a whiner and not a racer like the other 2 IMO, eventually you will see , it takes you about 2 yrs ..

Remember he was only racing Webbo today , it will be a lot different when he has to race Alonso and Hammy !
While so far this season he hasn't had to fight much but the little he's done like taking the start to Webber today, he's shown he can fight. And did that last year too.

We'll see how he will mature, he's obviously still very young but seems to be handling pretty damn good and I agree, he's a great kid and certainly can drive. No doubt he's the type of driver I like.
(and I usually don't like German Formula 1 drivers... can you guess where that comes from? )
Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944meister
hamilton radio: you have been warned for excessive swerving.
seriously when are they gonna get rid of those nancy prissy propper tea sipping old british farts out of the control room and let them race
He made 4 blocks down the straight, he should have received a drive through, not a warning.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
He made 4 blocks down the straight, he should have received a drive through, not a warning.
He made zero blocks down that straight. Hamilton made the first move everytime.

Quick Reply: 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix