Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
ALLEGED ? Surely you jest.
Hah-Hah!

OK, maybe we are not exactly on the same page with this one. I do respect your opinion and the evidence you provide is notable. I would only say some of that is strong suppostion, but not proven fact (well, at least I think it is not proven... like we don't REALLY know what happened at Singapore etc.)

What I would offer though is one can make a similar case for many other top drivers (e.g. Schumacher and Senna had their controversies which can be debated to the end of time too)
Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
What I would offer though is one can make a similar case for many other top drivers (e.g. Schumacher and Senna had their controversies which can be debated to the end of time too)
That would be a difficult case to make, given the sheer amount of damage left in the wake of the SS Little Miss Sunshine in such a short period of time.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
BINGO...
Alonso complaining about "no clutch" is not the samething as "no clutch". It F1 terms it could have been a clutch problem, but hardly not clutch at all.
How is this complaining? He was asked what happened and he answered it. That's like saying Schumi was complaining about the "wheel nut missing", ridiculous.

Also the engine letting go is almost certainly related to the gearbox issue. It could be that something failed in the box and allowed a mechical overrev on downshift or it could be related to abusing the engine in an effort to drive around the gearbox issue. One thing about F1 cars is that you cannot abuse something for very long before it breaks. They just don't have the margin build into the parts to allow for that. So all those dumps into neutral probabyl did nothing to help the motor.
This is exactly why I just called it ridiculous. You start by saying "almost certainly" ...it can't be both, are you certain or not? (No need to answer, we all know what it is) You finish with "probably" with a bunch of "could be's" in between. The reason; because you don't know.

The only things we do know are:
1) Alonso had a problem with the gearbox (he states "no clutch")
2) It was an amazing drive to do what he did under the circumstances
3) He was faster the Button
4) Mark Webber still sucks

Oh and one more thing, I've only seen this done by Schumi in Spain and Senna at the 1991 Grand Prix of Brazil, when he won in the rain while stuck in 3rd!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Hah-Hah!

OK, maybe we are not exactly on the same page with this one. I do respect your opinion and the evidence you provide is notable. I would only say some of that is strong suppostion, but not proven fact (well, at least I think it is not proven... like we don't REALLY know what happened at Singapore etc.)
i agree, and OJ was framed.

ten pages so far, must have been a good race weekend
Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...The only things we do know are:
1) Alonso had a problem with the gearbox (he states "no clutch")
2) It was an amazing drive to do what he did under the circumstances
3) He was faster the Button
4) Mark Webber still sucks

Oh and one more thing, I've only seen this done by Schumi in Spain and Senna at the 1991 Grand Prix of Brazil, when he won in the rain while stuck in 3rd!
What Schumi & Senna did was way more impressive though. OK, Alonso had problems while downshifting and the way he was able to drive around it was great but nothing like what Schumi & Senna did.
(you know I don't defend Schumi easily...)

Come on, Webber doesn't suck (and you know it )...
He had an amazing quali and his race was good. He missed a spot at the start but he missed it to a Vettel who had a great start. Other than that, he didn't do anything wrong.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
What Schumi & Senna did was way more impressive though. OK, Alonso had problems while downshifting and the way he was able to drive around it was great but nothing like what Schumi & Senna did.(you know I don't defend Schumi easily...)
My point entirely!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
This is exactly why I just called it ridiculous. You start by saying "almost certainly" ...it can't be both, are you certain or not? (No need to answer, we all know what it is) You finish with "probably" with a bunch of "could be's" in between. The reason; because you don't know.
Yes I don't know. I am speculating. It is what all of us are doing since none of us know what exactly happend. Only the Ferrari team is in position to know. Even now they may not know for sure. Given how secretive F1 is we will probably never get the full story.

However it is fair to assume that there is strong connection between the engine failure and the gearbox probelm. One reason I feel it could be a mechical over rev is if happen right in the same spot the gearbox was acting up. Right as the car slowed you see the white smoke. Engines rarely let go when you are not on the throttle. Given the down change probelms is seems quite plausible that the gearbox may have gone to 1st gear or something and spun the motor to 25k and that caused it to pop. Maybe not. I don't have the data to know for sure, but I do feel like I can speculate and guess. It seems also very clear to me that there is not the design margin in a F1 car to run a full race with bad downchanges and not have some other component be overstressed and fail especially when the driver is going all out. Again it is possible I am wrong, but it sure seems likely that they are related. I would saw 80 to 90% chance.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it was an over-rev. It happened at the slowest corner, and when he was off throttle. You see sparks coming out of the rear mid-corner, still braking, then oil smoke which changes to steam as he powers out.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alguersuari thankful to Schumacher

Fantastic that Schumacher's slow pace is helping out the back markers. Does this mean Alguersuari will now slant the car and chop at the start ?

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 09:34 GMT

Jaime Alguersuari has thanked Michael Schumacher for giving him the race-craft knowledge that helped him earn his maiden Formula 1 points in Malaysia.

The Scuderia Toro Rosso driver took the first points of his career with a strong drive in Sepang on Sunday - and believes that it was the understanding he got from racing Schumacher wheel-to-wheel in Australia that helped him deliver this time out.

"Definitely," Alguersuari told AUTOSPORT when asked if the Schumacher lessons had helped him in Malaysia.

"Michael showed me the way to drive a Formula 1 car on the limit, with other drivers. This was very important. To finish the Australian Grand Prix and to fight against him showed me the way - like how to be aggressive with other people.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-01-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

What Schumi & Senna did was way more impressive though. OK, Alonso had problems while downshifting and the way he was able to drive around it was great but nothing like what Schumi & Senna did.
(you know I don't defend Schumi easily...)

Come on, Webber doesn't suck (and you know it )...
He had an amazing quali and his race was good. He missed a spot at the start but he missed it to a Vettel who had a great start. Other than that, he didn't do anything wrong.
I agree with the Finn, It would be like being impressed with Kimi getting 1 WRC point after wrecking 20 cars ..

Speed team - Impressed
Ferrari - Impressed
Alonso - Impressed
Rest of the F1 fraternity - Impressed

Finn and Joe - not impressed , case closed .........

PS: Leigh Diffey should be on every F1 broadcast ARE YOU LISTENING SPEED..
Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I agree with the Finn, It would be like being impressed with Kimi getting 1 WRC point after wrecking 20 cars .. ...
FYI, after 3 races, Kimi has 4 points and is in 12th position in standings.

He's the 2nd driver in history to score points both in Formula 1 & Rally World Championship. The other guy who did it before him was Carlos Reutemann in early '80s.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

FYI, after 3 races, Kimi has 4 points and is in 12th position in standings.

He's the 2nd driver in history to score points both in Formula 1 & Rally World Championship. The other guy who did it before him was Carlos Reutemann in early '80s.
I don't see the big deal here Finn, I'm not impressed ...........

Last edited by A.Wayne; 04-06-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
As far as LH weaving, I think this was not blocking at all. He was trying to shake him off rather than defending excessively. Can't see anything wrong with this at all. What are you meant to do, just sit there and let people climb all over you or pass??
+1... totally agree
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Fantastic that Schumacher's slow pace is helping out the back markers. Does this mean Alguersuari will now slant the car and chop at the start ?

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, April 6th 2010, 09:34 GMT

Jaime Alguersuari has thanked Michael Schumacher for giving him the race-craft knowledge that helped him earn his maiden Formula 1 points in Malaysia.

The Scuderia Toro Rosso driver took the first points of his career with a strong drive in Sepang on Sunday - and believes that it was the understanding he got from racing Schumacher wheel-to-wheel in Australia that helped him deliver this time out.

"Definitely," Alguersuari told AUTOSPORT when asked if the Schumacher lessons had helped him in Malaysia.

"Michael showed me the way to drive a Formula 1 car on the limit, with other drivers. This was very important. To finish the Australian Grand Prix and to fight against him showed me the way - like how to be aggressive with other people.
Obsessed Much??? Schumi will forever be in your head, renting empty space....

The Toro Rossos are no dogs, obviously not on par with the RBR, but not dogs either. Buemi and Algi, held off Massa for the first stint of that race too, let's not forget that. Don't let the fact get in the way of a good story..
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes I don't know. I am speculating. It is what all of us are doing since none of us know what exactly happend. Only the Ferrari team is in position to know. Even now they may not know for sure. Given how secretive F1 is we will probably never get the full story.

However it is fair to assume that there is strong connection between the engine failure and the gearbox probelm. One reason I feel it could be a mechical over rev is if happen right in the same spot the gearbox was acting up. Right as the car slowed you see the white smoke. Engines rarely let go when you are not on the throttle. Given the down change probelms is seems quite plausible that the gearbox may have gone to 1st gear or something and spun the motor to 25k and that caused it to pop. Maybe not. I don't have the data to know for sure, but I do feel like I can speculate and guess. It seems also very clear to me that there is not the design margin in a F1 car to run a full race with bad downchanges and not have some other component be overstressed and fail especially when the driver is going all out. Again it is possible I am wrong, but it sure seems likely that they are related. I would saw 80 to 90% chance.
I completely agree with the highlighted (bold) comments above.

The rest is just speculation that sounds logical.

Quick Reply: 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix