Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny 'Black Flag Incident' Video Cartoon....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010 | 02:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I toyed with doing LeMons in part as an entree to racing. But the more I thought about the actual racing, it dawned on me how it was probably the worst possible entree to racing. Undisciplined, unpredictable and it could all be over in the first lap due to mechanical or contact. And even assuming all goes well, have I really raced?

If I'm going to risk the money, time and life-and-limb, let it be in a real racing forum.

I'll watch it though.
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Good one John.
You coming down to Texas this year?
Don't know yet. Will decide between Sears/Infineon and TWS probably when the 10 day forecasts come out. Don't want a repeat of last year's monsoon's.....
Old 02-26-2010 | 03:11 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Planning on the Shendandoah LeMons race at the end of June. Anyone else in?
Old 02-26-2010 | 03:23 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Don't know yet. Will decide between Sears/Infineon and TWS probably when the 10 day forecasts come out. Don't want a repeat of last year's monsoon's.....
It wont rain, I am going....
Old 02-26-2010 | 04:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I toyed with doing LeMons in part as an entree to racing. But the more I thought about the actual racing, it dawned on me how it was probably the worst possible entree to racing. Undisciplined, unpredictable and it could all be over in the first lap due to mechanical or contact. And even assuming all goes well, have I really raced?

If I'm going to risk the money, time and life-and-limb, let it be in a real racing forum.

I'll watch it though.
About the only value I see in racing for the LeMons is to get a feel for long distance enduros. IE 6 to 12 to 24 hour enduros. You get a group together and run a car and practice doing pits stops under fire and repairs. It is hard to really understand how to support a long enduro unless you have been a part of one. Of course you could also volunteer to help a group that is doing a real long enduro as well and just learn from them.

When it comes to actual racing.. Just run NASA TT. Close enough before you race.
Old 02-26-2010 | 04:48 PM
krystar
Drifting

is the atmosphere ChumpCar more budget racing and not inspirational modern art at the track?
Old 02-26-2010 | 04:54 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Funny vid. Now which one was VR?
Old 02-26-2010 | 06:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You guys have NO idea how funny that video can be, after you actually run an event. As I mentioned, its probably the best racing fun you might ever have. It is simply amazing that so many drivers, with NO experience can do as well as they do. sure, there are some reall funny bone head moves and some close calls, but overall, I was amazed . Think back to your first DE event. what if that was a full blown race? Figure, half the drivers have no experience, the other half mixed between very experienced and maybe a season or two under their belts in SCCA or NASA. so, when you understand the main theme of the event, and the organizers goals for making this a fun and humorous, but safe and organized weekend, it is easy to see what can happen in the pentalty box. by the way, they pull you in for any pass under yellow, off track or contact. Best to just shut up and not defend yourself. If you do, then you usually spend 30min writing, "porsche drivers should never let non porsche drivers drive their porsche", 100 times on the fender and hood of the car with a magic marker after one of the non-porsche drivers hits somone or goes off track. OR, " I will never pass under yellow again". You get the idea. If this happens a couple of times, your going to place poorly, but one time, and you still have a chance for a top 5 finish, providing you finish.

Like I said, from the moment I entered the main gate of the event, I started laughing. I dont Ive stopped since.

That video is classic!

Mk
Old 02-26-2010 | 07:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You have to lighten up and take this as REAL racing, but with rules. In fact, i think it is good for a racer to race in one of these because it forces you to check your ego at the door and to be disaplined and patient/tolerant. All the cars are near the same performance in the end, and as a driver, now you are really having to learn 50-100 cars and how they stack up against you . Also, each car has 4 drivers, so that makes it near impossible, but a challenge none the less. Its real racing, no doubt. Its not as wreckless as you might think. In fact, due to the speed of the cars slowed down, no matter the make, because we are all on street tires, the speed potential of the cars due to the budget limit, is like Pro 7 on street tires.

When you are racing lemons, you are racing. it just goes on and on and on and you need to be on your game because there is so much to be thinking about. (saving the car, what is the car doing, is it breaking, what are the other drivers doing, high percentage passing, and defense, car control, etc etc)

I think as a driver with no experience, it could be a crash course (maybe literally) or it could be some pretty interesting training that could be good.

In the end, it is a blast. you meet a ton of motor heads that are have been very creative to get their cars out there to compete and endure. Its a fantastic time. I think everyone should drive one. If you think you never want to do one for the reasons you have listed, its more the reason you should!

mk

Originally Posted by M758
I agree completly. When I race or do most things for that matter I go all out. I take them seriously. The LeMons stuff is a joke. It is not real racing. I have not issues with racing cheap cars. Hey I race a 944 after all. Even so I want to do well based on skill, talent with some good luck thrown in. Arbitraty rules and penaties are not my thing. Frankly I would probably not even last 20 minuts on a track where they guys aroud me seem clueless when it comes to proper racing. I get the impression LeMons being no talent free for all. Run too fast becuse you built or can drive well and get penalized. I just figure for all the effort(time and money) it takes on my part I have better areas to direct it then LeMons "racing".

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-26-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2010 | 08:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good points, Mark...

...of course I'm still far too busy throwing bushels of money on the fire with my two racecars...
Old 02-27-2010 | 07:07 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

We're snowed in here in the NE, but what's your excuse?
Old 02-28-2010 | 02:49 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey !

Its easy for me to tout it, because my "Phoenix" is not yet ready yet, and the racing budget has been clipped this year. However, I do think its one heck of an experience that anyone that is not competing in a full pro season should do, if not for the good time alone!

Next week at this time, we will be in the middle of another one at Sears Point! Wooo Hooo!

mk

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Good points, Mark...

...of course I'm still far too busy throwing bushels of money on the fire with my two racecars...

Quick Reply: Funny 'Black Flag Incident' Video Cartoon....