The F1 Spring Training, errr Pre-Season Testing, Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 05:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrahamML
Ohhh, according to Nigel Roebuck ( a little more in than your guy ) He
States Jenson took a paycut to go to Mclaren ( Brawn was offering more) and that once Jenson was available KR deal was dead , not just due to the rediculous amt KR wanted, as they would have taken JB regardless, as KR stock at the time was very weak and the asking Price was considered redonculous due to such. Many felt KR mgt team had overvalued the Finn, especially considering his big pay to get fired check, tells us KR was not serious about driving in F1 ...

I'm new to the Racing forum (been reading here for a bit)- current 997.1 owner. Couldn't resist the topic on KR.

I agree that KR is not serious about F1. Ferrari would have a std clause in their contract with KR that if he drives in F1 for the '10 season, they would owe him $0. His payment(s) will be made as though he is driving for Ferrari and could therefore be rescinded at any time - he would not get a lump sum. Hence, his mgt was seeking a drive that would equal (replace) the Ferrari salary. The fact that KR is not willing to take a drive for less tells me he is not motivated. He achieved his goal of WC and now he moves on. A motivated driver who still had something to accomplish would take a competitive car and a reasonable salary to go with it.

There will be no MS style comeback for KR - he is done. No one will want an un-motivated driver. Just look at his past performance when he wasn't in the title hunt.
Welcome Graham and do agree with your assessment of KR ...
Old 02-12-2010 | 05:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hey Graham, cozy up to Wayne and he's your buddy, but don't disagree with him!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-12-2010 | 05:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hey Graham, cozy up to Wayne and he's your buddy, but don't disagree with him!
Ahhh... larry it was only a bet , sorry you lost ,again. don't take it dat personal
Old 02-12-2010 | 05:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Ahhh .. larry it was only a bet , sorry you lost , don't take it dat personal
Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Ahhh... larry it was only a bet , sorry you lost ,again. don't take it dat personal
Again??? I don't remember losing anything to you the first time.
Old 02-12-2010 | 06:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Yeah !!! ..............
Old 02-14-2010 | 04:08 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Unofficial Saturday times from Jerez:
1. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:19.583, 113 Laps
2. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:20.180, 84 Laps
3. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:20.341, 90 Laps
4. Robert Kubica, Renault, 1:20.358, 86 Laps
5. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:20.613, 84 Laps
6. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:21.203, 90 Laps
7. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:21.486, 160 Laps
8. Pedro de la Rosa, BMW Sauber, 1:22.134, 105 Laps
9. Lucas di Grassi, Virgin, 1:22.912, 63 Laps
10. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 1:24.072, 98 Laps
Old 02-14-2010 | 09:11 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911

Unofficial Saturday times from Jerez:
1. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:19.583, 113 Laps
2. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:20.180, 84 Laps
3. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:20.341, 90 Laps
4. Robert Kubica, Renault, 1:20.358, 86 Laps
5. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:20.613, 84 Laps
6. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:21.203, 90 Laps
7. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:21.486, 160 Laps
8. Pedro de la Rosa, BMW Sauber, 1:22.134, 105 Laps
9. Lucas di Grassi, Virgin, 1:22.912, 63 Laps
10. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 1:24.072, 98 Laps

I read somewhere that McLaren finally went to a wet set up yesterday for testing and as you can see, were well clear of the field. Typically, McLaren is one of those teams that sandbag during pre-season testing.

I feel sorry for A. Wayne now that Michael is putting in a serious amount of laps and neither his neck or lap times are suffering. I wonder what the spinmeister will think of next
Old 02-14-2010 | 09:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrahamML
...There will be no MS style comeback for KR - he is done. No one will want an un-motivated driver. Just look at his past performance when he wasn't in the title hunt.
I agree that Kimi won't be back, he's enjoying WRC atmosphere way too much but if we judge it by looking at his performance when he wasn't in the title hunt, did you not watch F1 last year?

His performance in the dog of a car that last year's Ferrari was, the one that completely made Fisichella look like a total joke with absolutely no chance for a title he was not short of amazing.
Or do you think a podium in almost every race after the mid point of the season, win at Spa and 2nd most points scored (just a point or two behind Barichello) is not good performance?
Old 02-14-2010 | 09:26 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Finn, type B drivers, no matter how successful, will always appear as unmotivated in such a type A sport.
Old 02-14-2010 | 09:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Finn, type B drivers, no matter how successful, will always appear as unmotivated in such a type A sport.
Yep, I agree.
Old 02-14-2010 | 10:38 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think Kimi did as best he could in that POS Ferrari last year. When you compare Kimi's results to that of Luca Badoer who had been a test driver for 10 years and then Fisi coming off a 2nd place in the Force India at Spa, you can see what a handful it was to drive.

That said, Massa was consistently better than Kimi before his injury in Hungary which makes you consider how good Massa has become. Hopefully he'll compete toe to toe with Alonso if not better.

As an aside, Massa has stated publicly how easy the F10 Ferrari is to drive compared to last year. Perhaps the longer wheelbase to accomadate the larger fuel tank is the key.
Old 02-14-2010 | 10:56 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Longer wheel base = larger polar moment = less twitchy. It may be a litte slower in the fast transitions, but should be faster in regular corners, especially the big sweepers. Of course, there, aero plays as much of a factor, but anything to make the car more driveable will make it easier to keep on the limit.
Old 02-14-2010 | 08:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Pete
I read somewhere that McLaren finally went to a wet set up yesterday for testing and as you can see, were well clear of the field. Typically, McLaren is one of those teams that sandbag during pre-season testing.

I feel sorry for A. Wayne now that Michael is putting in a serious amount of laps and neither his neck or lap times are suffering. I wonder what the spinmeister will think of next

I sure hope so, I was starting to get worried a bit there. As long as the car doesn't suck like last year, Lewis will make something happen, however I'd be disappointed if McLaren couldn't build a proper car that they've been building since midway through last season.

I think Wayne will eat crow on Schumacher. However if Alonso wins WDC (which is entirely possible) we'll never hear the end of it.
Old 02-15-2010 | 07:57 PM
enduro911
Pro

Originally Posted by Pete
I think Kimi did as best he could in that POS Ferrari last year. When you compare Kimi's results to that of Luca Badoer who had been a test driver for 10 years and then Fisi coming off a 2nd place in the Force India at Spa, you can see what a handful it was to drive.

That said, Massa was consistently better than Kimi before his injury in Hungary which makes you consider how good Massa has become. Hopefully he'll compete toe to toe with Alonso if not better.

As an aside, Massa has stated publicly how easy the F10 Ferrari is to drive compared to last year. Perhaps the longer wheelbase to accomadate the larger fuel tank is the key.
I agree that Kimi did the best he could last year. Kimi has phenomenal car control, but I think he manipulates the car into and in the middle of the corner more than Felipe, who I believe is more of a reaction-based driver. The 2007 had a really long wheel base and Kimi was able to best Felipe. The f2008 was a shorter wheelbase and was easy on tires. Kimi couldn't get heat in them and as such was smoked by Felipe. That POS they drove last year was much more of a Felipe car IMO. That being said, Kimi won't be back.

Luca said that the testing ban really hurt him and I can actually see his argument. Having only driven in the simulator and then being throw into race conditions would be tough for anyone. I think Fisi was the more embarrassing performance.
Old 02-16-2010 | 02:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Jerez test's full driver line-up

Interesting how brawn alternate there drivers , the only team doing so ,,,,,

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 10:36 GMT

Formula 1 teams will kick off the third test of the 2010 pre-season at the Jerez circuit on Wednesday.

The test will see a total of 11 teams taking to the Spanish track, with Lotus joining its rivals to make its public debut with the T127 car unveiled last week.

Below is the provisional line-up for the Jerez test.

Team ........ Feb 17 .......... Feb 18 ...........Feb 19........ Feb 20

Sauber :... de la Rosa .... de la Rosa .... Kobayashi ... Kobayashi

Ferrari : .... Massa .... .. Massa ..... Alonso ..... Alonso

Force India : ..... di Resta/Liuzzi .... Liuzzi ..... Sutil ...... Sutil

Lotus : ...... Fauzy ..... Kovalainen ..... Kovalainen ..... Trulli

McLaren: ..... Hamilton ..... Hamilton .... Button ..... Button

Mercedes GP: ...... Schumacher ...... Rosberg .....Schumacher .... Rosberg

Red Bull : .... Vettel ..... Vettel ..... Webber ..... Webber

Renault : ..... Petrov ..... Petrov ..... Kubica ..... Kubica

Toro Rosso: ..... Buemi ...... Buemi ......Alguersuari ..... Alguersuari

Virgin : ..... di Grassi ...... di Grassi/Glock ..... Glock ..... TBA

Williams :..... Barrichello ..... Barrichello ..... Hulkenberg .... Hulkenberg

Last edited by A.Wayne; 02-16-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: The F1 Spring Training, errr Pre-Season Testing, Thread