Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!

Yep, no BS. NJMP has State Troopers show up on site. This weekend they issued seatbelt violations to DE driver that were more than 2 years old (regardless of expiration it seemed). Ironically they did not bother the rest of us in the race group because of the annual inspection log books. They also clocked cars exceeding 15mph in the paddock and gave out citations!

Next will likely be a ticket for crashing on track for driving at "unsafe speeds".

Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Yep, no BS. NJMP has State Troopers show up on site. This weekend they issued seatbelt violations to DE driver that were more than 2 years old (regardless of expiration it seemed). Ironically they did not bother the rest of us in the race group because of the annual inspection log books. They also clocked cars exceeding 15mph in the paddock and gave out citations!

Next will likely be a ticket for crashing on track for driving at "unsafe speeds".

On private property?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how can they do this? I did not think belt over two years were breaking any laws? (emphasis on LAW) Also thought it was private property?

That said at the PCA race I did see them driving around several times. I thought it was good at the time
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Nothing like the state gubment to help you navigate a recession by running off your paying customers.

Is this a joke?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the ****? Is this serious? Was there any warning that troopers would be giving out ciations? If not, people who got tickets should be sending them to NJMP for reimbursement - unacceptable!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Astro0boy
Instructor

that seems REALLY suspect....

Why aren't they tagging every car on the road with normal seatbelts that are older than 2 years?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

No joke, we had a racers group meeting and thought it was a gag until the DE folks were lined up to stage for their run session. The trooper went right down the staging line inspecting belts. Private property? Well keep in mind that a big grant was given by the State for the track facillities. I am sure they have some sort of jurisdiction at the track parking etc.

I may re-think how often I frequent NJMP. While most of us are compliant it just leaves a lousy feeling having Government regulate yet another activity we enjoy.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not 100% familiar with the vehicle code in NJ...but I find that very suspect......since the racetrack is private property (unless its owned by the state)...they can't enforce traffic laws there....under the same thinking...why not randomly write farmers on tractors seatbelt tickets?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
how can they do this? I did not think belt over two years were breaking any laws? (emphasis on LAW) Also thought it was private property?

That said at the PCA race I did see them driving around several times. I thought it was good at the time
Dan, the track chair said it is on the NJMP website under the rules of track usage. I was really shocked.

The big issue for NASA is they allowed older belts that are inspected for DE only, not racing. Every time I have been there, I have seen a police or Trooper sedan hanging around. I thought they just being social. Next enforcement will likely be trailers at the gate coming and going.

Be aware before you go there and watch your speed in and out, hopefully not a problem on the track.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, how does one tell if a seatbelt is more than two years old? I thought seatbelts had only expiration dates on them?

I'd heard stories (from some of the Skippy instructors) about CT state police ticketing folks for speeding in the Lime Rock paddock, but never heard anything about seatbelts ... maybe we should all wear our three-points on top of our harnesses?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Surely this wins the dumbest government action of the year award (in a year that has had many).
Just ridiculous.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Bull**** like this will not stand a court challenge. But the PRNJ strikes again! And you dingdongs want to re-elect Corzine, whose own wreck at 95 MPH, w/o seatbelts, in a State Trooper Suburban showed how some pigs are more equal than others in your laughhole of a state.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Also, the bull**** NJ law that you can't pump your own fuel applies to the race track, so you have to wait for the yahoo to meander down to you to fill your tank.

Also, fuel jugs MUST BE RED. Silly stuff.

There is always a trooper on site when the tracks are in use.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully someone like Tremper will come along and explain this in more detail....but yes, by law, racing facilities in NJ come under the watch of the State Police.

I still don't understand the tickets for belts?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
DanR
Drifting

Dan, the track chair said it is on the NJMP website under the rules of track usage. I was really shocked.

The big issue for NASA is they allowed older belts that are inspected for DE only, not racing. Every time I have been there, I have seen a police or Trooper sedan hanging around. I thought they just being social. Next enforcement will likely be trailers at the gate coming and going.

Be aware before you go there and watch your speed in and out, hopefully not a problem on the track.
But the bit I dont get is there is no requirement for a race or DE car to be road legal therefore how can you apply the law and give a ticket for something that is a 'club rule'?

Quick Reply: Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!