Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:19 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^^^^^^^^^
Haha, mostly "H cars" running in GTS3. Track never was dry from lots of rain. I did run 1:30 on practice tires before the rain came. NASA mixes a lot of classes together so traffic is a challenge.

I thought the doc would appreciate the video.
I hope they (NASA) do more than one event at T-bolt next year. Need to pad that lap record... you guys are getting too close :P
Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wish on my wildest dreams I could do 1:30 in my car.......

That is a great time Bob.......

(Then again, I didn't have Cervelli as a coach.........)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric, I think you will break 1:29, but I figured some things out this weekend and will certainly try and stay with you. BTW my car would not start to get it off the trailer when I got home. The computer was soaked inside, so not only was my car dying from fuel starvation, but the computer was crapping out also. If Martin had known how bad off I was on the last lap, he would have tried harder to pass me before the checker. Always fun to run with you.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I wish on my wildest dreams I could do 1:30 in my car.......

That is a great time Bob.......

(Then again, I didn't have Cervelli as a coach.........)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by bobt993
Eric, I think you will break 1:29, but I figured some things out this weekend and will certainly try and stay with you.
Stop sabotaging my car!!!!!!

Judging by your recent races, IM the one who will have to stay with YOU!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

[QUOTE=bobt993;7040968]Frank, you asked for a video. Have not done mine, but here is a racer from our group at the start of Saturdays race. I was the "Costa style dive bomber" in the #340 car chasing for the lead after missing a shift.

Thats what I call RACING!! Nice move, glad you stuck it.

I just dont understand how come when someone else does it they get commended but when I do it, and stay on the track, I get condemned for it!!

Tim
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I gave racing room??? He was braking way too early and............. I thought you would approve. BTW, it's not like a wasted anytime moving on. That vette was a problem and I knew that.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
All I want to know is.........

Is it going to happen again?........

Are paying customers going to be harassed at will?........

Great place, but what happened was totally unnecessary........

I hope someone is listening.........
Ok... let's say that what happened was actually what was reported on this site... Granted, there's usually a lot of misinformation and mis-remembering in situations like this. FWIW, I googled "NJMP tickets state trooper*" and all I could find was this thread. So if this has ever happened, this is the first occurrence.

Now, as I read the statutes, the law applies like this:
1) If you are a DE guy, you are subject to the rules of the event organizer for seat belts. So, if the event organizer decides that SFI belts are good for 2 years and FIA is good for 5 years, then complain to your event organizer. They could have said that SFI belts are good for 5 years and FIA are good forever. In theory, you are supposed to have your car teched before you show up to the event, so if your car doesn't pass at the track, then blame your own dumb, lazy *** self.

2) If you are a race guy, then the laws already exactly match the rules of most racing organizations. So, if your belts don't pass muster, then your scrutineers have not been doing their job, and you should know better as you are supposed to be filling out a new tech form every year. Again, blame your own lazy *** self.

Look, I agree that it's a bit ridiculous that the NJ police are enforcing this (assuming that this actually even occurred) but you have already signed documents saying that your car meets these standards. So, if your car doesn't meet the standards, who are you really blaming?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

What I have a problem with, isn't the idea of enforcing DE rules, but the idea that you get a ticket and corresponding fine from the NJ government on private property. If safety is the goal, prohibiting access to the track is penalty enough for those not following the rules.

Adding a fee to the NJ treasury is just piling on.

Were those ticketed, still allowed to run the DE (as they were), like most other non moving violations out on public roads (get'r fixed in xx days)? If so, revenuing was the clear motive, not safety.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Now, as I read the statutes, the law applies like this:
1) If you are a DE guy, you are subject to the rules of the event organizer for seat belts. So, if the event organizer decides that SFI belts are good for 2 years and FIA is good for 5 years, then complain to your event organizer. They could have said that SFI belts are good for 5 years and FIA are good forever. In theory, you are supposed to have your car teched before you show up to the event, so if your car doesn't pass at the track, then blame your own dumb, lazy *** self.

2) If you are a race guy, then the laws already exactly match the rules of most racing organizations. So, if your belts don't pass muster, then your scrutineers have not been doing their job, and you should know better as you are supposed to be filling out a new tech form every year. Again, blame your own lazy *** self.

Look, I agree that it's a bit ridiculous that the NJ police are enforcing this (assuming that this actually even occurred) but you have already signed documents saying that your car meets these standards. So, if your car doesn't meet the standards, who are you really blaming?
^that is the read I took away as well^

DE, rules are set by the group you are signed up with. Racing, you need to be inside the date on the belts. I too dislike the trooper wandering the paddock thing but what the hell. The place with the least amount crime (other than verbal ) I have seen is a Porsche group paddock. $$$ stuff all over, nothing wanders off.

What is the deal on pump and jug gas in NJ? Can you fill your car in the [paddock froma jug? Can you get jugs filled with gas?

Last edited by kurt M; 11-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
What I have a problem with, isn't the idea of enforcing DE rules, but the idea that you get a ticket and corresponding fine from the NJ government on private property. If safety is the goal, prohibiting access to the track is penalty enough for those not following the rules.

Were those ticketed, still allowed to run the DE (as they were), like most other non moving violations out on public roads (get'r fixed in xx days)? If so, revenuing was the clear motive, not safety.
Per a previous post NO tickets were issued. That a ticket could legaly be issued was mentioned in meetings only.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Kurt, you can fill your car from red jugs using standard safety. Gas at the pumps is run by an attendant that must be on duty to get gas. They are pretty good now about being there. Jugs must be filled by attendant. There is a rule limiting how much fuel you bring yourself, but not sure how much it is enforced. I have seen a 55gal drum of private race fuel in the paddock so again not sure if that is within the rules or not.

I have not had one item taken from our garage after multiple events, but spectator attendance has been limited. I do feel my stuff is safe.

Brian , the rules of the organizers do not seem to matter in this case. That is where NASA has a problem with the NJ state law. DE belts in NASA DE are to be inspected, but dates codes are not strictly followed if the belts are in good shape. Racing is a completely different set of rules.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz

THERE WERE NO TICKETS ISSUED!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

I got out to NJMP this summer, ran an enduro with EMRA on the Lightning circuit.

Great fun track, clean facility. Mr. Ocifer was in attendance. Never hassled us, despite:

a) filling our car in our paddock spot. The way I understand the rules, both as explained to me at the time, and as mentioned on here - the Professional Gas Pumper is required to operate the pumps. Only. We brought gas in from external sources/gas station, and handled it all ourselves. Of course, it was a 944Cup car, so we could just run pump gas. Note that there were only certain pumps in town we could use, since we didn't have red cans - some places did enforce the NJ state law apparently. Stupid law, don't see the point, but whatever...

2) driving around the paddock repeatedly to check throttle response (were having trouble with AFMs) and pedal placement for shifting. Definite hard accel runs into 2nd gear, even grabbing 3rd. Done responsibly, away from any pedestrians, etc. Went past any pedestrians at a slow idle, didn't want them worried. No problems with this.

As much as I do agree with some of the sentiment expressed in this thread about preserving our freedoms and consistutional rights - a lot of this sounds like the usual internet inflammatory extremes, just flying off the handle at the smallest perceived slight or threat.

So, did anyone other than the NASA reps indicate that tickets would be issued? That's the first I'd heard of it. Maybe they got their facts wrong/confused?

Maybe the off-season's here, and we're just dying for things to BS about???

Less talk, more work...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M

What is the deal on pump and jug gas in NJ? Can you fill your car in the [paddock froma jug? Can you get jugs filled with gas?
The rules simply mirror the NJ regulations for filling up your car on the street, or jugs. In NJ, you are not allowed to pump your own gas anywhere. I have never seen any movement to change that as most people like the service, particularly in bad weather. BTW, gas in NJ is also amongst the lowest in the region, if not the country.

I get fuel jugs filled regularly with no problem, and have never had a problem filling my car from my jugs in the paddock, nor have I seen anyone else have an issue with self filling their car.

Again, I'm not defending any of NJ's regulations. Just trying to have them correctly described.

Quick Reply: Speeding tickets at a racetrack????!!!!!!!!