Alonso to Ferrari -- Kimi back to McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Ah, don't worry. She's always on to a new suitor after a year or two anyway...

I'm just curious on what Wayne's thoughts are on the fact that besides sidestepping another F1 scandal, Alonso has managed to secure the top seat in F1 and displace a WDC to do so. Schumacher might have had Rubens move aside at Austria, but there was never a question on whom his teammate would be. With great respect to Massa, I wasn't a fan until he showed me last year what he did in defeat rather than the title win, I don't think he will be back at full speed next year if ever. Clearly Ferrari are putting all their eggs in Fernando's basket. If he can't produce at Ferrari as the clear #1, then we'll all know he was a faux WDC and a product of the 1 tire rule and a blown engine.
So you are saying Kimi was/is a Faux WDC Damn! so i was right
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
What no confidence in your usual pick Kimi ..............
Usual pick? I picked him once already and won a bottle off the KR pick.

Next year, I think Hammy looks good (the kid's got some seasoning now).

My "usual" pick would be anyone other than Alonso.

Are you waivering yet again, or is it a bet?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Usual pick? I picked him once already and won a bottle off the KR pick.

Next year, I think Hammy looks good (the kid's got some seasoning now).

My "usual" pick would be anyone other than Alonso.

Are you waivering yet again, or is it a bet?
Shame on you Ray , a chance to bet against you straight up , what no points lead necessary before hand The Bet is on .....Kimosabe

what about Suzuka ? ............. I'm thirsty
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
So you are saying Kimi was/is a Faux WDC Damn! so i was right
How so? Because he drove the car that Michael built?

Wayne, this is it, there are no more excuses. This is the team You and Alonso said you wanted to be at, no donkey cart, plus #1 driver status. I don't want to hear ANY excuses. He got his 2 with Renault just like MS, it's time to put up the trophies now. The score still stands at 7-2.

I assume your going out and getting your Ferrari swag right now right? Just don't throw away the Reanult gear. Just like the fashion of yesteryear, I have a feeling your going to need it again some day
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Kimi out? Alonso in? I can't, for the life of me, understand what is going through their heads at Ferrari. WTF

FA is a good driver. I like him but.....Scandals follow him where ever he goes. He is the common denominator.

Why would an organization as proficient as F pay $$$ for disruption?

Massa is a BIG IF but I remember Kubica's wipe out in Canada and then 2 races later (his next) he put the car on the pole. 1 refueling hose mishap less and FM would be a 2 time WDC.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pairing of Alonso and Massa is perfect and should produce some real exciting battles with McLaren's Hammy and Kimi I think that 2010 overall is going to be a season to remember Gotta get TIVO
Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Kimi out? Alonso in? I can't, for the life of me, understand what is going through their heads at Ferrari. WTF

FA is a good driver. I like him but.....Scandals follow him where ever he goes. He is the common denominator.

Why would an organization as proficient as F pay $$$ for disruption?

Massa is a BIG IF but I remember Kubica's wipe out in Canada and then 2 races later (his next) he put the car on the pole. 1 refueling hose mishap less and FM would be a 2 time WDC.
This will give us fans more exiting season next year so I'm all for it but it does make you wonder although it's not the only thing that makes you say "WTF are they thinking"?
Past couple of years have been "WTF are they thinking" with their pit screw ups, catering Massa more than Kimi, always going the wrong way with tactics etc.

In fact, there is a petition in Italy that some Tifosi have started who agree with "WTF are they thinking", obviously it won't change anything but these Tifosi want to let Ferrari bosses know what they think...

You can sign the petition here.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any declaration on technical changes to the 2010 cars from 2009 spec yet?
Are they keeping the double decker diffuser or will there be passing next year.

You can see in rain races and all the damn dirt in Singapore how much air the diffuser throws up at less than full chat. That zone of air disruption looks pretty large. (about more than twice as tall as the cars)

Hope Red Bull builds a good car that'll throw a wrench into the Ferrari/McLaren challenge.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
This will give us fans more exiting season next year so I'm all for it but it does make you wonder although it's not the only thing that makes you say "WTF are they thinking"?
Past couple of years have been "WTF are they thinking" with their pit screw ups, catering Massa more than Kimi, always going the wrong way with tactics etc.

In fact, there is a petition in Italy that some Tifosi have started who agree with "WTF are they thinking", obviously it won't change anything but these Tifosi want to let Ferrari bosses know what they think...

FF I'm afraid you look at F1 through Finnish colored glasses!

If given the choice I wonder how many teams would pick Kimi over Alonso? My guess is somewhere between one (McLaren) and none.

I like Kimi. I've been a fan since he started with the provisional license for lack of racing experience years ago but if I was picking a driver to win me a championship it would be an easy choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Tivo ??

Originally Posted by morganabowen
The pairing of Alonso and Massa is perfect and should produce some real exciting battles with McLaren's Hammy and Kimi I think that 2010 overall is going to be a season to remember Gotta get TIVO
oh my goodness, how do you catch any racing? this, you have to fix immediately
Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
FF I'm afraid you look at F1 through Finnish colored glasses!

If given the choice I wonder how many teams would pick Kimi over Alonso? My guess is somewhere between one (McLaren) and none.

I like Kimi. I've been a fan since he started with the provisional license for lack of racing experience years ago but if I was picking a driver to win me a championship it would be an easy choice.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim
I guess I can't avoid to not to look but when putting them aside and being as objective as I can, I wouldn't pick Alonso.
Not because he can't drive (doh!) but because of the whole package (IMO you always have to look at the whole deal with any of the drivers), the drama and unnecessary/extra "activities" he brings with him.

If we only compare him & Kimi, I think it's safe to say, they are one of the faster, if not two fastest, drivers in F1 at the moment.
(add Vettel, Kubica and Hamilton and those IMO are the fastest & best overall in F1 at the moment).

With Kimi, you get a guy who doesn't do much anything except drive & test (when it's possible), he's very quick and contrary to common belief, he's excellent with engineers, gives a lot of exact feedback etc. but outside of the car/garage, he doesn't want to do anything.
If it was up to him, he'd show up on Friday morning, drive all the sessions, go through all the team briefings and that's it with absolutely no talk to media etc.
That's what was a problem with him & Ron Dennis.

With Alonso you get also a very quick driver with great feedback, likes pr & media, well, I don't think any of them "like" media, but can at least pretend to like it & is ok with it.
But can be a bit of a handful with his demands of No. 1 stuff, can blow up when things don't go his way etc.

So, it's a matter of what you want to deal with: a guys who's fast etc. but gives you a headache because don't give a **** about anything outside of driving or a guy who's fast etc. but gives you a headache with his demands & drama?

My "dream team" would be two drivers from the trio: Raikkonen, Vettel & Kubica.
Good thing with these guys is that they're all pretty straight forward, "put your head down" type of guys and actually get along with each others real well (they're friends also outside of F1 and were watching Kimi's WRC rally in Finland).

I'd probably lean towards Raikkonen & Vettel when the time came to choose but it would be hard for me to pick clear two from those three so any combination of those IMO would be pretty damn optimal.

So there you have it, top 3 guys who I'd make the team from if it was up to me without wearing any glasses.
(and sorry for the long post, I was too busy to make it shorter)
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

KR ..........

'I have been here 20 years and you look back over the 20 years and you have some highs and lows and some regrets. A massive regret to me is losing a star like Fernando. He's one of the greatest racing drivers,' Whitmarsh said Friday in an interview with the German Press Agency dpa in Valencia.

C'mon Finny ,, KR is well ,Hmmm Finnish-ed back to Mclaren to become the perfect no 2 ..

Was dat ITC hitting the ground ...........................

I guess I can't avoid to not to look but when putting them aside and being as objective as I can, I wouldn't pick Alonso.
Not because he can't drive (doh!) but because of the whole package (IMO you always have to look at the whole deal with any of the drivers), the drama and unnecessary/extra "activities" he brings with him.

If we only compare him & Kimi, I think it's safe to say, they are one of the faster, if not two fastest, drivers in F1 at the moment.
(add Vettel, Kubica and Hamilton and those IMO are the fastest & best overall in F1 at the moment).

With Kimi, you get a guy who doesn't do much anything except drive & test (when it's possible), he's very quick and contrary to common belief, he's excellent with engineers, gives a lot of exact feedback etc. but outside of the car/garage, he doesn't want to do anything.
If it was up to him, he'd show up on Friday morning, drive all the sessions, go through all the team briefings and that's it with absolutely no talk to media etc.
That's what was a problem with him & Ron Dennis.

With Alonso you get also a very quick driver with great feedback, likes pr & media, well, I don't think any of them "like" media, but can at least pretend to like it & is ok with it.
But can be a bit of a handful with his demands of No. 1 stuff, can blow up when things don't go his way etc.

So, it's a matter of what you want to deal with: a guys who's fast etc. but gives you a headache because don't give a **** about anything outside of driving or a guy who's fast etc. but gives you a headache with his demands & drama?

My "dream team" would be two drivers from the trio: Raikkonen, Vettel & Kubica.
Good thing with these guys is that they're all pretty straight forward, "put your head down" type of guys and actually get along with each others real well (they're friends also outside of F1 and were watching Kimi's WRC rally in Finland).

I'd probably lean towards Raikkonen & Vettel when the time came to choose but it would be hard for me to pick clear two from those three so any combination of those IMO would be pretty damn optimal.

So there you have it, top 3 guys who I'd make the team from if it was up to me without wearing any glasses.
(and sorry for the long post, I was too busy to make it shorter)
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2009, 02:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Hey Ray,
Of couse it will all come down to the cars but I'll take that bet. Hamilton is prone to brain fade and Kimi to motivation fade. Put Alonso and Massa in an equal car and it will be a great battle for the constructor championship. It should be fun.

As far as all the BS about Alonso not wanting to compete for the number one spot, no great driver does. They want to compete on the track not in the garage. Every driver wants the team's best engineer, best car, best strategy, etc.

You think when this news broke Hamilton told his team to make sure everything was equal so he and Kimi could have a fair fight?
Jim
+1
Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
gerry100
Pro

Two guys who think they can be WDC on the same team is trouble.

I'd start with a number 1,- Alonso,Massa, Kimi, Hamilton ets and back up with a kid like Vettel,Rosberg, etc.

Quick Reply: Alonso to Ferrari -- Kimi back to McLaren