Alonso to Ferrari -- Kimi back to McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, but if Little Miss Sunshine is a Ferrari driver next year, I will not watch nor support the team.
As soon as she's gone, perhaps.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
A bet with Ray ...............
I'd be on Rays side of that transaction.

I don't bet booze though I bet cash, the standard Randolph and Mortimer Duke bet of $1.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast_freddy

I don't bet booze though I bet cash, the standard Randolph and Mortimer Duke bet of $1.

So you're betting to see if Alonso can masquerade as a Formula One driver?
Standard outlandish fish out of water scenario.

And do you guys operate on US or Canadian dollars that far up north.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that part of the reason Kimi left Mclaren was because of the way Dennis ran the ship. Does anyone want to lend insight or guess how things have changed, if at all?
The short answer is-no more Ron Dennis.

The infighting within McLaren-Mercedes in 2007, involving then team boss Ron Dennis and drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, belongs to the past, but it has not yet been forgotten.

Martin Whitmarsh, 51, who became the team's new boss on March 1 after 20 years working within its ranks, admits his 'massive regret' over the Spaniard Alonso's departure.

'I have been here 20 years and you look back over the 20 years and you have some highs and lows and some regrets. A massive regret to me is losing a star like Fernando. He's one of the greatest racing drivers,' Whitmarsh said Friday in an interview with the German Press Agency dpa in Valencia.

As team boss, he is trying to leave behind the arrogance that marked the Silver Arrows under Dennis.

'A lot of people assumed that we had similar personalities, that I was the clone of Ron. We have a different style, a different approach. I want to have success in the team but, but I don't necessarily have to do it in the same way,' Whitmarsh said of comparisons with his predecessor.

'Sometimes we've been too arrogant, we have to accept it,' Whitmarsh noted. 'I have been always very open in the company, my style is completely open.'

The fact that 2007 ended with two McLaren drivers at 109 points getting beat by a Ferrari driver with 110, indicates bad management at McLaren, period. Dennis seems adept at signing the talent but not managing it.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Sorry, but if Little Miss Sunshine is a Ferrari driver next year, I will not watch nor support the team.

Originally Posted by fast_freddy

No problem i'm not prejudice , i will take your cash , unfortunately you will see it is not that easy to get ray ,ray to commit to a bet ...

Originally Posted by Todsimpson
The short answer is-no more Ron Dennis.

The infighting within McLaren-Mercedes in 2007, involving then team boss Ron Dennis and drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, belongs to the past, but it has not yet been forgotten.

Martin Whitmarsh, 51, who became the team's new boss on March 1 after 20 years working within its ranks, admits his 'massive regret' over the Spaniard Alonso's departure.

'I have been here 20 years and you look back over the 20 years and you have some highs and lows and some regrets. A massive regret to me is losing a star like Fernando. He's one of the greatest racing drivers,' Whitmarsh said Friday in an interview with the German Press Agency dpa in Valencia.

As team boss, he is trying to leave behind the arrogance that marked the Silver Arrows under Dennis.

'A lot of people assumed that we had similar personalities, that I was the clone of Ron. We have a different style, a different approach. I want to have success in the team but, but I don't necessarily have to do it in the same way,' Whitmarsh said of comparisons with his predecessor.

'Sometimes we've been too arrogant, we have to accept it,' Whitmarsh noted. 'I have been always very open in the company, my style is completely open.'

The fact that 2007 ended with two McLaren drivers at 109 points getting beat by a Ferrari driver with 110, indicates bad management at McLaren, period. Dennis seems adept at signing the talent but not managing it.
Thanks Todd , great post ...........................................

Now to see where that has been said about Kimi ... Hmmm, maybe in Finland .. oppps no Kimi was not even voted Finnish athlete of the year when he won his championship

Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A bet with Ray ...............
So I guess that's a "No"?

A bit disapointing after listening to you constantly blather on about how Miss Alonso is the "Most Complete" driver in F1. Or about how her car development skills are superior to all others. Or about how she is just being held back because she's not with a "Top Flight" team (news flash it doesn't get more "top flight" than Ferrari).

Then you go on to say how Massa has Kimi's number at Ferrari....

Gee, I figured this bet would be a no brainer for you......

I guess that means you agree that a Kimi/Hammy pairing will trump a Massa/Alonso pair??......
Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
Hey Ray,
Of couse it will all come down to the cars but I'll take that bet.
Good deal Jim!!.....

I accept the bet with you.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
So I guess that's a "No"?

A bit disapointing after listening to you constantly blather on about how Miss Alonso is the "Most Complete" driver in F1. Or about how her car development skills are superior to all others. Or about how she is just being held back because she's not with a "Top Flight" team (news flash it doesn't get more "top flight" than Ferrari).

Then you go on to say how Massa has Kimi's number at Ferrari....

Gee, I figured this bet would be a no brainer for you......

I guess that means you agree that a Kimi/Hammy pairing will trump a Massa/Alonso pair??......
Ray ,,,
You have never taken a bet unless you can stack the odds ..

1. I bet Alonso will be 2010 WDC , i don't have to wait until next year to do so , your WDC pick ? thought so
2. I bet Hamilton will make KR look like Heiki is still there .

Now if you want to bet on such we have our usual bottle deal , I cannot bet on Mclaren scoring more points than Ferrari next year because i 'm not aware that Massa will be back or will be "on" after his injuries . Personally i don't think Massa will be able to compete at his previous level due to his injuries and until i know who will be paired with Alonso , i cannot make the bet you want , i can only do what i have listed above, of course you know this 2 , hence trying to stack the deck again as you did this year betting on Button after he accumulated a 30 point lead .

Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Ray ,,,
You have never taken a bet unless you can stack the odds ..

1. I bet Alonso will be 2010 WDC , i don't have to wait until next year to do so
2. I bet Hamilton will make KR look like Heiki is still there .

Now if you want to bet on such we have our usual bottle deal
That's two bet's Wayno not one and the second bet is loaded with ambiguity.

However, I'll take the first one since you didn't like my bet (although it looks like you did accept the exact same bet with Freddy )

I'll bet you that Miss Alonso will not be 2010 WDC....
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

That's two bet's Wayno not one and the second bet is loaded with ambiguity.

However, I'll take the first one since you didn't like my bet (although it looks like you did accept the exact same bet with Freddy )

I'll bet you that Miss Alonso will not be 2010 WDC....
Yeah ........

Does your pick have a name ? serial number ? rank ? ohh i forgot , you need a 20 point lead
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal Jim!!.....

I accept the bet with you.
It's a deal! How about dinner at the Chicago Chop House? If neither team wins we'll do it anyway and split the bill.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimB
It's a deal! How about dinner at the Chicago Chop House? If neither team wins we'll do it anyway and split the bill.
Deal.....
Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Yeah ........

Does your pick have a name ? serial number ? rank ? ohh i forgot , you need a 20 point lead
I bet that Hamilton comes out ahead of your pick (Miss Alonso) in points.

After all it certainly won't be the first time.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I bet that Hamilton comes out ahead of your pick (Miss Alonso) in points.

After all it certainly won't be the first time.
What no confidence in your usual pick Kimi ..............
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Ah, don't worry. She's always on to a new suitor after a year or two anyway...

I'm just curious on what Wayne's thoughts are on the fact that besides sidestepping another F1 scandal, Alonso has managed to secure the top seat in F1 and displace a WDC to do so. Schumacher might have had Rubens move aside at Austria, but there was never a question on whom his teammate would be. With great respect to Massa, I wasn't a fan until he showed me last year what he did in defeat rather than the title win, I don't think he will be back at full speed next year if ever. Clearly Ferrari are putting all their eggs in Fernando's basket. If he can't produce at Ferrari as the clear #1, then we'll all know he was a faux WDC and a product of the 1 tire rule and a blown engine.

Quick Reply: Alonso to Ferrari -- Kimi back to McLaren