Alonso to Ferrari -- Kimi back to McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Because Hobbs is right, as a matter of fact once upon a time he was paid to drive so I would take his opinion a little more important than some keyboard fantasies.

Fact : KR never ever had a bad team (yes even Sauber was not a bottomfeeder), the best equipment, plenty of dough, plenty of fanboys and a extremly favorable press, until his F car move washed up or never was teammates and what does he has to show ? A WDC by default.because a total noob lost his nerve..........where Massa had to play ball in the last race otherwise poor Kimi would have scored zero again. Plus he NEVER got a handle on Massa who grandpa MS parked like a stepchild.

Fact: he ain't bad but he ain't great or extraordinairy, he is somewhere in the middle and if in fact he is ending up at Mac it will be his final negative nail on his career and even he knows that if he tries WRC he will be a laughing stock......................

Ferrair is done. A win here and there but otherwise is going to be like in the 80/90's. The suits and the jagoff Montebuffoonolo in charge will sink the ship even more as witnessed over the last couple of years.
Todt/Brawn/MS/RB were a well oiled machine with a common goal, alliances like that are forged not too often.

Alonso can turn a steering wheel and has the abilities to put concrete input into set up and development , no doubt but his fragile ego will severely butt heads with the suits at Ferrari, that is going to be as certain as death and taxes.

LOL, its been done before, replay the Prost and to a extent the Mansell F car saga and you got yourself the Alonso saga.
I agree with everything that you said above except for your assessment of Raikonnens' skills. The fact that he can be blindly quick despite a lack of motivation shows that he has the talent. That talent alone of course does not make him great, just fast.

And yes, I cannot wait to hear poor Wayne sob as Ferrari implodes...the makings for it are all set. Of course it will have nothing to do with Alonso.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's interesting how "messed up" silly season was just few days ago and now almost every piece is falling to it's place and we have a lot of drivers (especially top teams & drivers, only Red Bull doesn't change their drivers) changing teams:

Alonso to Ferrari, Kimi to McLaren, Kubica to Renault, Rosberg to Brawn, Barichello to Williams.
Some uncertainties are left; where does Kovalaien go? (Brawn is still slight possibility but it will probably be Toyota or could be even Force India), Glock? Heidfeld?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Lotus is coming back, who'll they pick as their experienced driver to head their team.

Alonso can embroil Ferrari before the season starts with some purloined chassis development secrets.
But that's been done already.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kimi would be WDC X 2 or 3 had it not been for Mercedes and McLaren unreliability. I know of few drivers that put in such stellar performances, only to have the car break with a few laps remaining. Kimi was also the antithesis of the McLaren driver formula under RD. Still, Kimi thrived as a WDC contender in is last couple of seasons there.

Does he have talent? Absolutely. Is he hungry? Not particularly.

The greatest contrast between Ferrari's outgoing and incoming drivers is this: Kimi is not a corrosive influence on team chemistry. Alonso, on the other hand, absolutely is. Five years is a long time for that bomb to keep ticking. If Massa comes back with a new lease on life after his accident, Alonso will start whining about not getting that to which he is entitled as WDCX2 from the team and things will deteriorate from there.

Massa, if fully recovered, can be the one stabilizing factor. He works well with the team, does decent enough development work, since I don't think that was KR's strong suit, and can be a consistent top 5.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

I think all that Pole Position, Larry and Lothar said is quite true.

Man this is going to be interesting to watch next year.

Next poll question: Does anyone watch F1 for the sport or the drama?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
What pains me most about this is that I have to trade the Flying Finn, Petu with the loss of Kimi for A. Wayne as rooting partners. Talk about eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... Hopefully the team will survive their 60 year history after this decision...
Cheers mate! And good luck!

Originally Posted by Lothar
Kimi would be WDC X 2 or 3 had it not been for Mercedes and McLaren unreliability. I know of few drivers that put in such stellar performances, only to have the car break with a few laps remaining. Kimi was also the antithesis of the McLaren driver formula under RD. Still, Kimi thrived as a WDC contender in is last couple of seasons there...
Haug says that McLaren would relish the opportunity to have the Raikkonen back.

He said: "Reflecting on our co-operation which was five years, I think that it was positive.

"We should have won at least two world championships.

"I have to say we missed one with two points in 2003 but I think an engine failure was one of the reasons, so without that he could have done it.

"In 2005 he could have done it, in fairness.

"The engines at that stage were not as good and reliable as they are now.

"To have Kimi in our team winning two world championships would certainly have been a fair outcome for him.

"I have a good relationship with him and I'm sure he would say the same."

Look at Kimi's results this year after Germany: with a pretty ill handling car (Badoer & especially Fisichella have struggled immensely) with practically no development, he's scored 2nd most points than anyone else (Barichello 31 pts, Kimi 30), was on podium 4 times in a row and won at Spa.

Does that look like a driver with no motivation? No skill?

And hey Pole,

Kimi's speed in the 3 rallies he's attended were nothing less than unbelievable.

To be able to do same stage times as the leaders in your class and better than your team mate in your 3rd ever rally (and at the WRC Rally Finland, the fastest rally there is) are unheard of and show that he definitely has talent when it comes to motorsport.
Not to mention what he's also done in his other hobbies, motocross and snowmobile racing.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Trust me, Finn, this is a dark day when Wayne and I are on the same team.

Reports are that Kimi wants to stay in F1, at least for now. It's hard to say, but I think he took his seat for granted and is starting to regret the kick back attitude. I do hope he gets picked up and kicks some a$$ next year.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I agree with everything that you said above except for your assessment of Raikonnens' skills. The fact that he can be blindly quick despite a lack of motivation shows that he has the talent. That talent alone of course does not make him great, just fast.

And yes, I cannot wait to hear poor Wayne sob as Ferrari implodes...the makings for it are all set. Of course it will have nothing to do with Alonso.
Yes these are dark days indeed , Now Alonso is going to implode Ferrari

Errr, i think KR already did that and sadly , there is agreement with Pole on KR talents or lack thereof , this was clearly shown to me in 05 by Montoya and later by Massa .

Alonso is ready and I'm sure Monty gave his Pick KR every chance to make it happen and he failed . Massa and Alonso will work , i still doubt Massa will be back to his pre-accident level , regardless the Spaniard is the best deal in F1 and he will deliver , that I'm certain of .

Cheer up Amigos .... Winning ways are here again ... Now to see if he parks the car at Monaco
Attached Images     
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thus begin the Days of Ferrlonso.

Hope he don't blown up good Ferrari.
Italians have fiery temper.
Alonso got temper.
So will it be like adding lithium to water. (everyone's done that in Chemistry, right)
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF Alonso is nailed for the alleged Renault race fixing.....
Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pete
Next poll question: Does anyone watch F1 for the sport or the drama?
I watch for the sport. I come here for the drama.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I watch for the sport. I come here for the drama.

Originally Posted by Monty
"For months people on the street have approached me to ask me: 'when will you hire Alonso?' I can recall such levels of enthusiasm only once before..The signing of Schumacher.
Ahhh Monty is happy again and he wants to thank Kimi by booting him out 1 yr early

Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Ahhh Monty is happy again and he wants to thank Kimi by booting him out 1 yr early
Wayne, you know that there is an old saying "Be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it".

It will be very interesting to see exactly how the new driver pairings will work out. 2010 will be a telling year in F1.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wayne, you know that there is an old saying "Be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it".

It will be very interesting to see exactly how the new driver pairings will work out. 2010 will be a telling year in F1.
Very much aware Larry , 1994 stands out as such for me .....

But for now ..... It's Fiesta time Baby .......................................

* ITC .... come back Fernanadina luv's yah
* Pete ... Kiss my ***
* Ray .... Have my bottle ready
* Finn.... Have my other Bottle ready ..

Happy Days are here again .........................................

My pick for WDC 2010 .. Hmmm , aww let me think a bit .. ahhhhhhhhhhhh ..... FA...
Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh how I pray that Schumacher could rehab the broken neck and be in the other Ferrari. To have him spank the ****** in the same car would be outstanding.

Quick Reply: Alonso to Ferrari -- Kimi back to McLaren