Sponsored by:

928's dominated GT2 POC at Laguna!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Not any more (if you consider Improved a street car classs).

Chad Carter qualified on Sunday at 1:41.2 in his LI/R6 class 2006 Cayman S. I ran our fastest "street car" race lap on Sunday with a 1:42.03.

My car is an LI class Cayman S and weighed in after the race Saturday @ 3220# with 210# driver. Stock intake and exhaust; GT-3 arms in front at neg 2.5; GT3 front bar; Tarett rear bar; stock rate PSS9s; Quaife and R6s. The only engine modifications are for reliability.

We hope to get the CaymanSpec down to 2850 or so and run with the 996Spec boys (will need to driver better certainly).

Cheers,
He was talking about a street GT3.....
Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Tell us about the weights and mods of the 996 spec. That is pretty fast for a car that costs less than it takes to make a 911spec with PRC/NASA. (and a lot faster)
tires ? aero ? engine mods? what kind of weight and HP?
http://www.996specracing.com/The_Spec.html
Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Big difference of pedaling a car at 1:38 vs 1:36, as I and several others have been trying for many years. I got a second or 1.5 seconds for 50 more hp and some better brakes, but I dont expect to be in the 1:36s until I get some serious tuning of the suspension done.

I thnk mooty, Dave, or 171, (I cant keep them all straight) ran a 1:37 in his street GT3 on DOT tires a little while ago.

you are only getting 260rwhp and running 1:39 race time? thats really good. Its very similar to the times that the top BMW was running (e36) with 285rwhp and about 2700lbs with driver on toyos . IM sure its a little faster with some hoosiers .

That is even better than at first glance as you had to run all the stock mufflers, but Ive run soom fast times with stock mufflers and so has Anderson, in fact, he just ran a 1:30.7 with a completely stock muffler system in the Red race. (pretty funny watching a car that fast, sound like a street car on the local hyway making a pass around a semi! )

As far as Fabryce and Sofro's car, it is not a World challenge car, its Fab's old street car with a S54 motor in it, but still basically stock motored with headers (only sofware changes) Its a 3.2, and WCT only allow 2.8, but those motors are very refined, as are their suspensions and tuning. However, this is a REAL nice build, very light and obviously very fast. Fabryce was in the 1:37s once and Sofro was in the Red group and pounded out a 1:35.3. I dont think there was any difference other than driver. How did he pull you on the start?? do you have video? (love to see it! )Those cars are deadly on slicks at laguna! Hp is somewhere in the 300 to 320rwp if I was going to guess and 2600 to 2700lbs with driver. (another guess). Pretty cool!

Thanks for the info on the spec 996 . that is very interesting and it is running some really goood times. I bet they handle great and are fun to drive. I can only dream!

I just noticed that you did have that 1:38.0 in qual, didnt hit the 1:37s in the race like you thought, (as it was 1:39s), but how often does that happen? You know, you qualify really well, post a top time, and then reallly pour on the juce in the race and are .5 to 1 second slower? I hate that when that happens. So, I wonder where you lost a second? Be interesting to see some motec data like we were looking at with Tom in the other thread, expecially at a track like laguna!

Mk

EDIT: How lame is Koni, when you can make a koni cup car, but just gut it and run the same times as they do! why dont they just run the spec 911 and have all the other cars conform to simlar specs and then ANYONE could run grand Am with very minimal cars! Instead, make the cars 3400lbs so that you need secret sauce to make 350rwhp, and the GT3 suspension so that you can run the same times? I dont get it!

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
My fastest lap of the weekend was Sunday's qualifying at 1:38:04 and I hit the rev limiter (bog) on the straight. I really believe these cars can turn 1:36's, I left a lot on the track...

I don't know anything about a street GT3 turning laps that fast. Our track record there is for a street car on R's is 1:42:10.

Our motors, trans, and ECU's are completey stock including the air box. They're 290 bhp and dyno at 260 rwhp. Exhaust is free after the OEM headers though not at Laguna where we all ran stock cats and mufflers. LSD's are allowed as most of them have them OEM.

Minimum weight is 2800 though no one has gotten there yet. I ran at 2850 all weekend. I've got rear and side Lexan coming which should get me close. Windshield stays glass unfortunately.

Body gets a GT3 front bumper cover & lip, and a Getty rear wing like the cups. All other metal stays OEM. We run stock 8 &10" rims with 245/285 Hoosiers (R only). You can use the 02' 5-spokes which are a few lbs. lighter.

Suspension is the street GT3 lower control arms for camber, PSS9's or 10's with 700/900 spring rates, and GT3 sway bars. Tarett drop links and adjustable rear toe links, but all OEM top hats-no monoballs unfortunately. OEM brakes though pads are free I ran orange/black. That's about it. Pretty simple and inexpensive and yea, apparently they haul ***....

As for Fabryce, that's their old World Speed Challenge car and it was significantly faster on the straight and start. I out qualified him both days and he beat me on the start both days. I finally got him on Sunday.....

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-30-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

How did he pull you on the start?? Those cars are deadly on slicks at laguna!

I just noticed that you did have that 1:38.0 in qual, didnt hit the 1:37s in the race like you thought. So, I wonder where you lost a second?
Saturday he went off the track left in the dirt coming down into T2 and came flying back onto the trak. The video from the car behind me looks like he hit me but there wasn't any marks. Sunday I got stuck behind the pole sitter while he went around the outside....

Race laps are slower because of traffic. In my case that was the BMW. I was faster in qualfying both days, but getting around him requires divine intervention. He's good....
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

He ain't that good if he is going off track at 2. . Actually, I know Fab pretty well and he is pretty good. He doesnt get a lot of track time, but does well anyway, but his main gig, is that he builds a heck of a BMW racer! I would love to see the incar video from the guy behind . Do you have access to any?

We have a few BMWs that we race with, built to the specs of the Sofro/Fab BMW. (e36s at 2750lbs with driver and 285rwhp-ish) They are quick, and with slicks, they are even quicker!

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Saturday he went off the track left in the dirt coming down into T2 and came flying back onto the trak. The video from the car behind me looks like he hit me but there wasn't any marks. Sunday I got stuck behind the pole sitter while he went around the outside....

Race laps are slower because of traffic. In my case that was the BMW. I was faster in qualfying both days, but getting around him requires divine intervention. He's good....
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Lot's of good pictures from the weekend here:

http://gotbluemilk.com/web0908POC/
Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cory M
Lot's of good pictures from the weekend here:

http://gotbluemilk.com/web0908POC/
Thanks Cory. Here's some pics of my new 996 Spec...

http://gotbluemilk.com/web0908POC/30/index.html
Old 08-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 387 Likes on 186 Posts

Now I know what that sound is as I go through the cork screw
http://gotbluemilk.com/web0908POC/29...s/image26.html
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mark anderson
Snow plow? I knew they were designed for something specific in the Fatherland....
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

I thnk mooty, Dave, or 171, (I cant keep them all straight) ran a 1:37 in his street GT3 on DOT tires a little while ago.
!
mooty aint that fast. he just looks fast.

dave aka 171mph did 1:36:xxx on moton and V710 early this month or late last month.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big difference of pedaling a car at 1:38 vs 1:36, as I and several others have been trying for many years. I got a second or 1.5 seconds for 50 more hp and some better brakes, but I dont expect to be in the 1:36s until I get some serious tuning of the suspension done.

you are only getting 260rwhp and running 1:39 race time? thats really good. Its very similar to the times that the top BMW was running (e36) with 285rwhp and about 2700lbs with driver on toyos . IM sure its a little faster with some hoosiers .
Mark,
Did U notice Mike Monsalve's 1:37s?
That's a V3 car with a stock 3.2L 220 hp motor.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Do you really believe "stock"?? Yeah, the block is stock, I'll give you that. I spend Hours and Hours with Vandecar and the rules committee , trying to put some sense in the R5/V3 rules. (we did make some progress, but mostly just on the 928 spec and classification errors) He had 240rwhp out of his "stock" 3.2 911. And, did I mention that he weighted only 2200lbs????? Greater disparity for Kevin Roush, who had the 3 liter pumped up and was able to get down to 2000lb car weight. Do you have a guess on what 1000lb difference makes on the track even though you have the same HP/weight ratio as another car? By the way, we have a 911 3.2 that is stock. Do you know that it ran 210rwhp on the dyno, with no engine mods at all, even stock exhaust system, with some louder mufflers? Scot Graham's ran the same numbers without a cat, only.

So, along those lines, yes, I noticed and raced those guys in R5V3, and did you notice my stock engined '86 928 running a 1:38.8 with a car 800lbs heavier on used DOTs?

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
Mark,
Did U notice Mike Monsalve's 1:37s?
That's a V3 car with a stock 3.2L 220 hp motor.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

when you make your splitter out of metal vs plywood, it will make a different noise like matt Robinson in the "Cyclone".

https://rennlist.com/forums/6865242-post19.html

Originally Posted by mark anderson
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Do you really believe "stock"?? Yeah, the block is stock, I'll give you that. I spend Hours and Hours with Vandecar and the rules committee , trying to put some sense in the R5/V3 rules. (we did make some progress, but mostly just on the 928 spec and classification errors) He had 240rwhp out of his "stock" 3.2 911. And, did I mention that he weighted only 2200lbs????? Greater disparity for Kevin Roush, who had the 3 liter pumped up and was able to get down to 2000lb car weight. Do you have a guess on what 1000lb difference makes on the track even though you have the same HP/weight ratio as another car? By the way, we have a 911 3.2 that is stock. Do you know that it ran 210rwhp on the dyno, with no engine mods at all, even stock exhaust system, with some louder mufflers? Scot Graham's ran the same numbers without a cat, only.

So, along those lines, yes, I noticed and raced those guys in R5V3, and did you notice my stock engined '86 928 running a 1:38.8 with a car 800lbs heavier on used DOTs?
My goodness....like someone else here said recently: you are the pusher of misinformation and half truths....Vandecar was running a 3.0 l with mechanical injection, for instance, and weighed the minimum weight for V3 at the time...can't remember exactly but closer to 2800 pounds than 2200.

Fire away.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

I wasn't trying to take anything away from your car or your driving, Mark --just thought we should recognize that it's possible to run some good times with many different combinations of weight and Hp, IF you're a good driver (which Monsalve is) and BTW, his car has been checked on the dyno and the scales at the track many times (2500 "off track" weight and 230 whp).
In the Porsche Club racing community, we continually hear that a guy has a fast car if he goes fast. And, if he's slow, he's a sh*tty driver. When guys win their Class, whether it's a Mark A., or John G. or Monsalve or Mark Kibort, or a Kevin R. (who with his FL teammates led the GT Class at the 24hrs. of daytona for 250+laps), I give alot of credit to the driver.

Quick Reply: 928's dominated GT2 POC at Laguna!!!!