Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who will win the European GP?
Button
10.81%
Rubens
18.92%
Webber
10.81%
Vettel
21.62%
Kimi
2.70%
Hamilton
27.03%
Alonso
2.70%
Other Driver Not listed
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2009 European Grand Prix race preview, predictions and discussion - Valencia

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gentlemen,
A brief PSA.....

Debate the ISSUES - NOT THE PERSON WHO POSTED THEM

the above quote courtesy of John D.
https://rennlist.com/forums/4427299-post50.html

Thank you very much.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

thank you............ ltc

On topic, Spa is a very high speed track and can only wonder how the big teams will come to bear. McLarens have found speed but all teams will adjust for the track and conditions.............personally would like to see Webber do well, Rubens will be on a high from his win.

If Brawn wins the WDC this year my heart is with RB.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Pete;6844568]That's right your from the school of letting another pass you on pit lane ala Luca Badoer.

I like this pass under braking. I guess the shine of Jensen's car got in the eyes of Alonso... [Quote]

Would love to see , any video ....
Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
thank you............ ltc

On topic, Spa is a very high speed track and can only wonder how the big teams will come to bear. McLarens have found speed but all teams will adjust for the track and conditions.............personally would like to see Webber do well, Rubens will be on a high from his win.

If Brawn wins the WDC this year my heart is with RB.
Spa suits Red Bull extremely well so Webber & Vettel will be very strong, others won't have a chance. I'd pick them 1 & 2 with Webber being the 1.

Somehow I trust Webber more and for WDC fight, even more so but both of them can't have weekends like Valencia.

Brawns should not be as strong as they were in Valencia (the cars were really strong, Button just sucked).
Button seems pretty shaky and I can only see him being even more so when someone gets close which RB could've done without the problems they had.
Seems that Button is taking it too safe since he has the lead but that will be costly in the end if he doesn't start driving more aggressively.

McLaren might not be as strong as in Valencia either but most likely after Red Bull, they'll be 3rd & 4th.

Ferrari, Kimi is the master of Spa of the current guys but even with that, he won't be able to be more than 5th-8th. Maybe if something happens, he can be on the podium again but then one of the RBs need to have problems.

Renault might do pretty well, should be stronger than last weekend although part of last weekends problems was not the cars potential (sorry Wayne but that's the truth). I'm putting Alonso to fight for 5th.

Williams will be there (5th or so) also so after Red Bulls (way ahead) and McLarens , fight for 5th will be close between Alonso, Kimi and Rosberg.

Interesting to see what Luca does... He was selected really to test & develop next years car but if he sucks big time, they need to ditch that plan and get a real driver.
There are starting to be more replacement drivers lined up than you can think of (DC said he's available, Anthony Davidson too... Yeah right Anthony...) but most likely if Badoer doesn't perform well enough, Gene or Fisichella will replace him.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

And to be perfectly fair to Button, although Rubens was head and shoulders above any of the other WDC contenders, Button did not lose any ground to Webber or Vettel. Vettel had the excuse of a blow motor. What was Webbers excuse?

No excuse for Webber this race other than the two blown engines in Vettel's car may have had Red Bull timid with Webber's strategy and car, maybe thinking they could salvage some points which obviously didn't work. Maybe just not a good track for Webber, who knows, every driver has those days. But on the season as a whole I think Webber is the most deserving of the WDC as of right now. But obviously that can change with so many races left to go.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Spa suits Red Bull extremely well so Webber & Vettel will be very strong, others won't have a chance. I'd pick them 1 & 2 with Webber being the 1.

Somehow I trust Webber more and for WDC fight, even more so but both of them can't have weekends like Valencia.

Brawns should not be as strong as they were in Valencia (the cars were really strong, Button just sucked).
Button seems pretty shaky and I can only see him being even more so when someone gets close which RB could've done without the problems they had.
Seems that Button is taking it too safe since he has the lead but that will be costly in the end if he doesn't start driving more aggressively.

McLaren might not be as strong as in Valencia either but most likely after Red Bull, they'll be 3rd & 4th.

Ferrari, Kimi is the master of Spa of the current guys but even with that, he won't be able to be more than 5th-8th. Maybe if something happens, he can be on the podium again but then one of the RBs need to have problems.

Renault might do pretty well, should be stronger than last weekend although part of last weekends problems was not the cars potential (sorry Wayne but that's the truth). I'm putting Alonso to fight for 5th.

Williams will be there (5th or so) also so after Red Bulls (way ahead) and McLarens , fight for 5th will be close between Alonso, Kimi and Rosberg.

Interesting to see what Luca does... He was selected really to test & develop next years car but if he sucks big time, they need to ditch that plan and get a real driver.
There are starting to be more replacement drivers lined up than you can think of (DC said he's available, Anthony Davidson too... Yeah right Anthony...) but most likely if Badoer doesn't perform well enough, Gene or Fisichella will replace him.

Well you better send a Memo to LH, apparently he never got that one last year either ........

Finn ! KR has had a whole season of under performance and he still has a job , so go ahead FA can handle it ....

The only one of the top 4 deserving of a WDC is Barrichello, if not, then i would like to see Webber as WDC ...

Brawn screwed up backing Golden Spoon ,as did the rest of yah , will he make it?
well the chasers from red bull still have on their training Wheels and Rubin will be handicapped by the team ... .

Has anyone seen Ray , Ray ? .................
Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanna911
No excuse for Webber this race other than the two blown engines in Vettel's car may have had Red Bull timid with Webber's strategy and car, maybe thinking they could salvage some points which obviously didn't work. Maybe just not a good track for Webber, who knows, every driver has those days. But on the season as a whole I think Webber is the most deserving of the WDC as of right now. But obviously that can change with so many races left to go.

With the tempermental bout of the Renault? powerplants, Red Bull may have to dial down the revs on their motors. Unless it's just the way Vettel's right foot twitches that grenade the motors.
Wonder if the teardowns reveal the weakpoints of all that rotating stuff and what can they do to move the weakness around.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,081 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the Renault motors at Spa and beyond at Monza, both fast, flowing tracks. It seems the Renaults don't like getting off the slower corners. The aero of the Red Bulls should also put them ahead. I expect Hamilton to be 2nd at Spa and Heikki to be 5th or 6th which might mean the end of the McLaren contract with him.

I don't expect much from the Brawns, especially if the weather is going to be cold and damp (not a downpour, but the typical Spa dampness).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9nl3qUi-_E&NR=1
Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Brawn screwed up backing Golden Spoon ,as did the rest of yah
People here screwed up by backing Button?

Want to know how much I make if Button wins the WDC? ZERO!
And I'll make the same with Barrichello, Webber or Vettel.
So how did I (or anyone else) screw up? My rep as a knowledgable F1 enthusiast is just fine here on old Rennlist. I can't say the same for others though (hint, hint).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
People here screwed up by backing Button?

Want to know how much I make if Button wins the WDC? ZERO!
And I'll make the same with Barrichello, Webber or Vettel.
So how did I (or anyone else) screw up? My rep as a knowledgable F1 enthusiast is just fine here on old Rennlist. I can't say the same for others though (hint, hint).
Larry ,

Don't be so hard on Pete .........................................
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Well you better send a Memo to LH, apparently he never got that one last year either ........

LOL, Kimi didn't get it last year either. Driving all over the run-off room, spinning once and then into the wall all while getting handled.

I thought your high was going away, until you said RB was hte most deserving of the WDC, pit strategies or no pit strategies, no way RB is deserving of the WDC, he has not shown that quality of driving. He should be much farther ahead of the Red Bulls even being the #2 at Brawn. Simple as that.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
LOL, Kimi didn't get it last year either. Driving all over the run-off room, spinning once and then into the wall all while getting handled.

I thought your high was going away, until you said RB was hte most deserving of the WDC, pit strategies or no pit strategies, no way RB is deserving of the WDC, he has not shown that quality of driving. He should be much farther ahead of the Red Bulls even being the #2 at Brawn. Simple as that.
Handicapped , remember and stop smoking my Chit ......
Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry,

Please, no thinly vailed comments or insults to other members of RL. Discuss the issues not the person. There is always the Jensen Ignore Button

The 2 things that set off Senor Ganja: Schumacher and Button for WDC

Really, is there a clear cut "deserving" driver this year? I think not. Some say Webber, but he's only won 1 race, but to his credit is consistant. Button has won the most races, but is choking down the stretch. Rubens has won 1 race and is usually off the pace in 1/2 the races. Vettel, well, Vettel is an incredible driver, but tends to make youngster type mistakes sometimes and other times has Kimi like bad luck. He's about a year or 2 away from winning his first WDC.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Larry,

Please, no thinly vailed comments or insults to other members of RL. Discuss the issues not the person.
Even if the recipient doesn't realize that it was meant for him?

Really, is there a clear cut "deserving" driver this year? I think not. Some say Webber, but he's only won 1 race, but to his credit is consistant. Button has won the most races, but is choking down the stretch. Rubens has won 1 race and is usually off the pace in 1/2 the races. Vettel, well, Vettel is an incredible driver, but tends to make youngster type mistakes sometimes and other times has Kimi like bad luck. He's about a year or 2 away from winning his first WDC.
I agree that there isn't, but does this make it a better year or a worse one? There are 4 drivers still realistically in contention with 6 races left. That makes this an interesting season in my book, just like the past 2 years. Remember how "boring" it was when Schumacher had it wrapped up by now?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Please don't say Schumacher too many times. Someone's eye twitches when he's brought up.

Interesting year yes, but the topic was "deserving".

Two years ago, Kimi, Alonso and Hamilton were "deserving", last year, Massa and Hamilton were deserving, not a clear cut choice this year.

When Schumacher was winning you might have thought it was boring, but I found the domination fantastic. I liken it to football when in the 1970s the Steelers were dominate, 49ers in the 1980s, Cowboys in the 1990s and more recently the Patriots. You either hate it or love it, but you tuned in to see if someone, anyone could beat him.

I was at Indy the only year that Schumacher didn't win and Mika did. Everyone was happy of the result, even the Tifosi had to give it up to Mika.

Quick Reply: 2009 European Grand Prix race preview, predictions and discussion - Valencia