Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who will win the European GP?
Button
10.81%
Rubens
18.92%
Webber
10.81%
Vettel
21.62%
Kimi
2.70%
Hamilton
27.03%
Alonso
2.70%
Other Driver Not listed
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2009 European Grand Prix race preview, predictions and discussion - Valencia

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
As much as I'd like to see Kimi win a race in a Ferrari this year, I'm afraid the car just won't allow him to do it. The car can't lead a race let alone win. In an interview just yesterday, Kimi was saying that they "hope" to podium.

Ferrari's main goal is to keep McLaren behind them in the Constructors Championship points, but as I told Dez a few weeks ago, it will take McLaren exactly 2 races to pass Ferrari in the WCC. They are only 5 points behind Ferrari and with Kimi the only viable driver, F will be passed this week at Spa.

The improvement of the McLaren is unbelievable and I think the "Overall" best car on grid. Other cars like the Red Bulls might have an advantage on a particiular track here and there, but overall, I'd take the McLaren for the rest of the season. At one point Hamilton had just 6 points in 6 races or something like that and now he's passed Kimi in the points total.

Ever since McLaren have introduced their new diffuser, the car can again match itself with the best of the field, allowing Hamilton to take 18 points in the latest two races.

Their completely new design built upon the foundations of the double deck diffuser idea. At the same time, the team abandoned its cutout floor after it found out that its effect was far from what was expected after wind tunnel simulations.

At Valencia, the car had additional updates in this area. Notably the exhaust covers were now, for once, symmetrical - contrary to the diffuser's shape.

The only reason McLaren are catching Ferrari now is because Felipe is out and Luca has no chance of points. Felipe most likely would have beaten Hekki considering he was 5-0 against him in his last 5 races. And In races where they both finish, Heikki has only finished in front of Kimi once. That puts two Ferrari's ahead of one McLaren and no significant point change. Not only that, even with KERS the McLaren had to be significantly lighter in qualy for pole and still was getting run down by a KERS-less Brawn. Not to mention the Red Bulls, who've been faster than the Brawns as of late were non-existent and we STILL have not been on an aero track until this week to see what the McLaren's have there as it's been their ultimate weakness.

But like I always say, facts are not your strong suite. So go ahead and prepare your excuses now.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The only reason McLaren are catching Ferrari now is because Felipe is out and Luca has no chance of points. Felipe most likely would have beaten Hekki considering he was 5-0 against him in his last 5 races. And In races where they both finish, Heikki has only finished in front of Kimi once. That puts two Ferrari's ahead of one McLaren and no significant point change. Not only that, even with KERS the McLaren had to be significantly lighter in qualy for pole and still was getting run down by a KERS-less Brawn. Not to mention the Red Bulls, who've been faster than the Brawns as of late were non-existent and we STILL have not been on an aero track until this week to see what the McLaren's have there as it's been their ultimate weakness.

But like I always say, facts are not your strong suite. So go ahead and prepare your excuses now.

Don't worry about that , Pete will bring his own ...........
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Dez, calm down. Step away from the double espressos. Shhhsss,

If you would slow down and actually read my post carefully, you would see that I qualified it by saying that only 1 Ferrari is running against 2 McLarens.

The McLaren has been a great, not good, but great car since Germany. The only reason Hamilton did not score points there was the cut tire on Turn 1 that basically put him out of contention. The fact he has scored 18 points in two races somehow escapes you?

But how can you sit there and continue to try to play off that the McLaren is somehow slow -- not only to the Ferrari but the rest of the field?

Wayne amuses me and serves as side entertainment as RL jester, but you baffle me. It appears you just want to start an arguement almost everytime you read a post
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
I think that this might encourage some teams next year to consider KERS, although initially it looked like none of the FOTA teams would be running it next year, but AFAIK, KERS is allowed next season....what I don't know is what other restrictions (weight?) will be mandated on a KERS car in order to 'keep things equal'.

Why does there need to be a weight penalty?
KERS system itself is the weight penalty. It cannot add power like turbo or supercharger. Just capture it.
Wish they'd take the stupid power and time use cap off KERS. That will really spur development of the energy recapture systems. Then teams that do not wish to develop a KERS system will handicap themselves if KERS proves to be a race asset. Not going to save the teams that already lumped dough into the KERS system to ditch it. Someone mentioned possibility of non KERS team licensing the tech.
Could BMW have gotten the flywheel KERS working? Guess with their departure nobody will ever know.
Just wondering if pair of dual opposing spin flywheels KERS under the driver can be deployed with selective manipulation under cornering to help stabilize the car in turning could be helpful. But most probably illegal.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Why does there need to be a weight penalty?
KERS system itself is the weight penalty. It cannot add power like turbo or supercharger. Just capture it.
Wish they'd take the stupid power and time use cap off KERS. That will really spur development of the energy recapture systems. Then teams that do not wish to develop a KERS system will handicap themselves if KERS proves to be a race asset. Not going to save the teams that already lumped dough into the KERS system to ditch it. Someone mentioned possibility of non KERS team licensing the tech.
Could BMW have gotten the flywheel KERS working? Guess with their departure nobody will ever know.
Just wondering if pair of dual opposing spin flywheels KERS under the driver can be deployed with selective manipulation under cornering to help stabilize the car in turning could be helpful. But most probably illegal.
I agree, KERS should be free, no cap and they all should have the flywheel KERS instead of the electrical with batteries.

There is no extra weight penalty with KERS, the weight of the system itself is the penalty.
It was Williams who had/has the flywheel KERS system (which is heavier BTW).
They're still developing it even though they're no using it. Maybe for the next season or for street car use.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Dez, calm down. Step away from the double espressos. Shhhsss,

If you would slow down and actually read my post carefully, you would see that I qualified it by saying that only 1 Ferrari is running against 2 McLarens.

The McLaren has been a great, not good, but great car since Germany. The only reason Hamilton did not score points there was the cut tire on Turn 1 that basically put him out of contention. The fact he has scored 18 points in two races somehow escapes you?

But how can you sit there and continue to try to play off that the McLaren is somehow slow -- not only to the Ferrari but the rest of the field?

Wayne amuses me and serves as side entertainment as RL jester, but you baffle me. It appears you just want to start an arguement almost everytime you read a post
Only your posts, because everything is a grand scheme to undermine Lewis' driving ability.

You said a few weeks ago, while Felipe was still racing that the McLarens would fly past the Ferrari's, I just showed you how, were Felipe racing, that would not be the case.

I'm not saying the McLaren's are slow, but even on mechanical grip tracks, the McLarens aren't head and shoulders above anyone, do you remember who was catching Lewis at the end of last race? I'll give you a hint A FERRARI !!!!!!!

Kimi has been one spot behind Lewis in the last two races and scored 14 points to Lewis's 18, so wouldn't that mean the Ferrari's have been great too?

OF COURSE IT DOES, but you'll ignore that part and swear up and down that the McLaren is so great and the Ferrari so mediocre in spite of the facts staring you in the face.

I'm just sick of your drivel and I'm only here to point out that it's much harder to talk when your foot is constantly stuck in your mouth. So a little sense and knowledge of the facts without blind bias would be a nice gesture.

That is all.

Quick Reply: 2009 European Grand Prix race preview, predictions and discussion - Valencia