Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who will win the European GP?
Button
10.81%
Rubens
18.92%
Webber
10.81%
Vettel
21.62%
Kimi
2.70%
Hamilton
27.03%
Alonso
2.70%
Other Driver Not listed
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

2009 European Grand Prix race preview, predictions and discussion - Valencia

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I have always liked and respected Rubens as a driver and as someone with class. I even picked him for WDC this year. Maybe it is not too late?

Larry my apologies ,

I had thought you were carry Button , especially after stating he was better than Barrichello , well that was shortly before going with Webber ,or was it before you had said That you would have to see Rubin beat Golden spoon again ,, no , hmm , Ok it was right after you had thought Golden spoon was the one nahh, that was Webbo or was it vettel awww .. Golden Spoon? schucks...

Awww the Poll , a sudden jump in Barrichello supporters .................
Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
...........So nobody enjoyed the pitlane pass of Luca by Grosjean.
Crossing the white line just added insult to injury.
I loved it personally..............Luca must have pi$$ed himself when he passed and then ran wide on exit............if you watch carefully you see the Ferrari pit with Schumi not happy.

Great for Rubins; followed him since Stewart days. After surviving the very bad '94 Imola weekend he's had a remarkable career.........often wonder what the real score would have been if Ferrari hadn't made him the obvious #2.

Agree on the track comments.................at least we now move to Spa and then Monza. Love both tracks; Spa for the track itself, Monza for the sound and atmosphere.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

Larry my apologies ,

I had thought you were carry Button , especially after stating he was better than Barrichello , well that was shortly before going with Webber ,or was it before you had said That you would have to see Rubin beat Golden spoon again ,, no , hmm , Ok it was right after you had thought Golden spoon was the one nahh, that was Webbo or was it vettel awww .. Golden Spoon? schucks...

Awww the Poll , a sudden jump in Barrichello supporters .................
Ahh, what were you saying about Barrichello supporters? Yeah, you are confused.

As far as who is the better driver, I don't think that I ever stated that Button was better. Early in the season he was driving better, and the results proved it. Now Barrichello is driving better. Is either a better driver than Vettel or Webber, probably not.
Attached Images  
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I'm super happy for Rubens! However what a freakin' boring race! I do not think there was 1 single pass. I know F1 is king on this forum but I bet tonight during the Indy Infineon race you will see more racing.
Or more crashing...

You can't expect anything else from Tilke's yet another masterpiece, Valencia no matter what car would race there.

Watch out for next weekend, Spa coming and the race after that won't be a bore either.

Congrats to Rubinho! Awesome to see him on the center podium.

Red Bull's had surprisingly bad weekend, Button was poor too although that's not so surprising...
Kimi drove as well as you can with Ferrari, Badoer took care of the entertainment, WTF was that "please pass me" on pitlane?!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a few Nascar races and they definitely do NOT let anyone by when racing out of the pits.
You wanna pass. Do it on track.

Someone please swap Milka for Luca.
At least Milka would be interesting to watch on the interviews.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Speaking of that, did you notice that Hamilton never, ever denigrated the job that his pit crew did, even when pressed. He even pushed back, saying that this was maybe only the 2nd time that his pitstop was less than stellar in the entire time that he has been with McLaren. And that if it weren't for the hard work and dedication of his team over this season, that he wouldn't even have been in a position to take 2nd place today. That too is a class act (at least for today).

I noticed that as well, +1! I know he's done a couple of questionable things, but I've always thought of him to be a class act. Too bad the pit stop took so long, he would have come out very close to Rubens so we missed out on a probable good battle for 1st.

Also, why couldn't Rosberg seal the deal for his McLaren seat at the end and pass Kovalainen?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

1. Congrats to Rubens. He really earned that one. I know McLaren messed up their pit stop, but I believe Rubens would have got Hamilton on the pit rotation anyway.

2. BOOOOORRRRIIINGGGGGG. I can't believe we've lived through 2 years of Valencia crap and now we're subjected to 5 more years. Thanks a lot Bernie!!

3. That might have been a "Thank you" drive for Luca Badoer, but if your 3 seconds slower on a street course, your going to be 6 seconds slower at Spa. Please, someone pull him from that seat and put in a real "RACE" Driver. As I said when Schumacher was picked over Luca, "There is a reason he is a 10 year test driver and not a "race" driver."

4. Wayne, why don't you complain about the team orders when Badoer moves over for the new Renault driver? OMG that was embarrassing...

5. I've not been a big fan of Hamilton specifically because he's been an arrogant *******. When you've been in the best car on the grid 2 years running and you compare yourself to legends like Senna, you don't earn my respect. I believe Hamilton has eaten humble pie this year and the 1st half of the season showed him that he is not Senna and is highly dependant on the car they give him. I don't know if it's because he has no pressure on him now because he knows he's not in contention for the WDC, but I give him a lot of credit now for staying within himself now that he has the dominant car on grid again and not throwing his pit crew under the bus. He knew they screwed up, but probably thought back to times where he put the car in the wall. It happens to everyone and it looks like he's matured a great deal since last season.

6. This is my favorite time of the season, Spa and Monza back to back!!!!

7. The Brawns will be slower than expected at Spa, the Red Bulls faster than they shown all weekend. The McLaren, it appears to me, to be the fastest, but more importantly, the most consistant car on the grid now.

8. I'm picking Vettal for the win at Spa, Hamilton and Webber in that order.

9. The expected "Alonso to Ferrari" announcement didn't happen at Valencia as was speculated. I imagine they will wait until more is known on Massa's future before they annouce Alonso to Ferrari and Kimi to Fiat Rally.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
1. Congrats to Rubens. He really earned that one. I know McLaren messed up their pit stop, but I believe Rubens would have got Hamilton on the pit rotation anyway.

2. BOOOOORRRRIIINGGGGGG. I can't believe we've lived through 2 years of Valencia crap and now we're subjected to 5 more years. Thanks a lot Bernie!!

3. That might have been a "Thank you" drive for Luca Badoer, but if your 3 seconds slower on a street course, your going to be 6 seconds slower at Spa. Please, someone pull him from that seat and put in a real "RACE" Driver. As I said when Schumacher was picked over Luca, "There is a reason he is a 10 year test driver and not a "race" driver."

4. Wayne, why don't you complain about the team orders when Badoer moves over for the new Renault driver? OMG that was embarrassing...

5. I've not been a big fan of Hamilton specifically because he's been an arrogant *******. When you've been in the best car on the grid 2 years running and you compare yourself to legends like Senna, you don't earn my respect. I believe Hamilton has eaten humble pie this year and the 1st half of the season showed him that he is not Senna and is highly dependant on the car they give him. I don't know if it's because he has no pressure on him now because he knows he's not in contention for the WDC, but I give him a lot of credit now for staying within himself now that he has the dominant car on grid again and not throwing his pit crew under the bus. He knew they screwed up, but probably thought back to times where he put the car in the wall. It happens to everyone and it looks like he's matured a great deal since last season.

6. This is my favorite time of the season, Spa and Monza back to back!!!!

7. The Brawns will be slower than expected at Spa, the Red Bulls faster than they shown all weekend. The McLaren, it appears to me, to be the fastest, but more importantly, the most consistant car on the grid now.

8. I'm picking Vettal for the win at Spa, Hamilton and Webber in that order.

9. The expected "Alonso to Ferrari" announcement didn't happen at Valencia as was speculated. I imagine they will wait until more is known on Massa's future before they annouce Alonso to Ferrari and Kimi to Fiat Rally.

Is there an "echo" in here ................
Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ahh, what were you saying about Barrichello supporters? Yeah, you are confused.

As far as who is the better driver, I don't think that I ever stated that Button was better. Early in the season he was driving better, and the results proved it. Now Barrichello is driving better. Is either a better driver than Vettel or Webber, probably not.
Okey Dookieee Mr Herman , Button was driving better, nothing to do with team manipulation,

Now that Brawn realizes that Golden Spoon is not the one and need both drivers Barrichello suddenly finds form ...............

Ohhh Lord it's hard to be humble when ........................
Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Or more crashing...

You can't expect anything else from Tilke's yet another masterpiece, Valencia no matter what car would race there.

Watch out for next weekend, Spa coming and the race after that won't be a bore either.

Congrats to Rubinho! Awesome to see him on the center podium.

Red Bull's had surprisingly bad weekend, Button was poor too although that's not so surprising...
Kimi drove as well as you can with Ferrari, Badoer took care of the entertainment, WTF was that "please pass me" on pitlane?!
Rumor has it , that it was not Luca in the other Ferrari , but head Amigo Flavor flav Pete .
Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
...9. The expected "Alonso to Ferrari" announcement didn't happen at Valencia as was speculated. I imagine they will wait until more is known on Massa's future before they annouce Alonso to Ferrari and Kimi to Fiat Rally.
Mods, Wayne's hacked Pete's account again.
(if not, Pete has lost it again...)

Rumor has it , that it was not Luca in the other Ferrari , but head Amigo Flavor flav Pete .
That explains the "pit lane pass"...
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhh Lord it's hard to be humble when ........................
............you think that you know it all?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, I noticed that. Despite the low-blow question from the interviewer, Lewis didn't throw anyone uunder the bus. Kudos!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Hamilton was class. But, how was the question a "low-blow"??? It was the singular most important event of the race, pretty obvious to ask the question don't you think? As scripted and controlled as F1 media is, it would have been embarrassing not to ask.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJK
Hamilton was class. But, how was the question a "low-blow"??? It was the singular most important event of the race, pretty obvious to ask the question don't you think? As scripted and controlled as F1 media is, it would have been embarrassing not to ask.

It was asked in an extremely rude manner, presuming the team ****ed up. We in fact do not know that was the case. It is possible Lewis dove in at the last minute with the beginning of a puncture, cattching the team unaware.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Mods, Wayne's hacked Pete's account again.
(if not, Pete has lost it again...)

That explains the "pit lane pass"...
Yes, it was indeed me in Massa's car. I've been testing under the assumed name of Luca BADoer in a Clienti car

Finn,

This is not Wayne. It's Pete, really... For years I've poo pooed Wayne's Alonso to Ferrari stories because they were based on wishes and not fact, but now all the evidence most clearly points to Alonso in a Ferrari in '10. It's going to happen.

'Alonso to Ferrari announcement delayed'
24 August 2009

As rumours surrounding a number of teams continue to circulate in the Formula One paddock, gossip regarding Fernando Alonso's move to Ferrari next year continues to be the epicentre of the silly season; however, a source close to both parties has told GPWeek that a Monza announcement has now been delayed as Felipe Massa continues to recuperate.

Spaniard Alonso has so far driven for three teams in his F1 career
With Alonso highly tipped to become team-mate to Massa at the Maranello team next year, the Brazilian's injuries sustained from his Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying crash have thrown a number of variables into the mix at the Scuderia although the Paulista is expected to make a full recovery ahead of next season.

With the Italian Grand Prix weekend (12-13 September) the traditional scene for Ferrari announcements, GPWeek as now been told by an anonymous source that any news bulletins will be placed on hold. "The announcement was due to be made in Monza as had been expected for some time," the quote reads. "However with Massa's return under question the team has been forced to delay.

"Fernando will be a Ferrari driver in 2010. The deal has been signed. The only question is his team-mare and out of respect for Felipe, Ferrari will not make the announcement until they are sure whether he will be able to return."

Quick Reply: 2009 European Grand Prix race preview, predictions and discussion - Valencia