Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOOSIERS ON THE STREET???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove a twin turbo Vette for two years and 4000 miles with Hoosiers that had a rain pattern cut in them. It was the only way to get traction. I never had any problem. They didn't heat cycle out either. I didn't drive any more carefully with them than any other tire. Got two flats during that period in my Mercedes running Pilot PS2's none with the Hoosiers on the Vette. Type of tire isn't likely to save you from nails and such. Hoosiers are not constructed the same as all out slicks. They have 5 plies including two steel plies in the tread just like the high performance street radials.

Also, they don't pick up stuff on the street like they do hot on the track. They stay clean. They do however throw stuff into the wheel wells way more than standard streets. However that's going to happen while your on track too.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

driving home on cords has never been an issue. Its like a free ride home, because they are coming off anyway.

mk

Originally Posted by bobt993
Find a reeeeeal cheap set of rims/tires to get there on. You may get there (BTW soft r-tires can pick lots of crap on the road which is annoying), but if you cord an R6 at the track you still need to get home.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to risk it. The drive is about 26 miles with much of it over a freeway so it should be ok.
I've driven plenty of miles on my R888s with nothing happening to them. I figure a nail is going to go through most tyres and it's just bad luck.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to risk it. The drive is about 26 miles with much of it over a freeway so it should be ok.
I've driven plenty of miles on my R888s with nothing happening to them. I figure a nail is going to go through most tyres and it's just bad luck.
Make sure you properly inflate them (almost to mfg recommended pressures). They will cord FAST if you run them on the street with a track alignment and track pressures. Ask me how I know... Ok, I'll tell you. I put on a brand new set of R6s at the track, and at night I drove from the track to the hotel. I wasn't smart enough to adjust pressures before I left the track, so I was probably at around 36-38 hot, or 30-ish cold (and probably a bit less in the wee hours of the morning). Driving too/from the hotel ruined the rears. Now, I bump everything to 40+ PSI is I drive on the street, and drop to proper pressures at the track.

-td
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the 1.5 hr drive to Lime Rock at 85-90F ambient, I stopped to get gas and measured tire temps and nothing was above 110F.....not even a heat cycle.

Mostly on the Taconic Parkway (4-lane limited access).

At PCA events, if you blow a tire, there's always somebody there to fix you up with a tire/wheel so you can get home. It's not the cars, it's the people.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Make sure you properly inflate them (almost to mfg recommended pressures). They will cord FAST if you run them on the street with a track alignment and track pressures. Ask me how I know... Ok, I'll tell you. I put on a brand new set of R6s at the track, and at night I drove from the track to the hotel. I wasn't smart enough to adjust pressures before I left the track, so I was probably at around 36-38 hot, or 30-ish cold (and probably a bit less in the wee hours of the morning). Driving too/from the hotel ruined the rears. Now, I bump everything to 40+ PSI is I drive on the street, and drop to proper pressures at the track.

-td
Thanks, good tip.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Damn, for a minute there, I thought this thread was called HOOKERS ON THE STREET...
I thought it said HOOTERS on the street!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one other caution: Drive carefully and drive for the person behind you. You'll stop in less distance than you otherwise would, and you already stop in less distance than the idiots who don't pay attention and drive heavy vehicles. Be conscious of this as you brake and don't get rear ended. I don't know the legal implications of getting rearended while wearing race tires (that say "for competition only") on the street, and I don't want to know.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HOOSIERS ON THE STREET???