Koni cup GS porsche dyno power

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

So,
can you explain #3?

If the porsche has more acceleration what is it due to?

Drag to whatever
force pleases you would be equal unless you can tell us why not.
Cd would be near same as would frontal area.
Those comparisons were the best i could find
on iPhone

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Why bother, Mark? Seriously....why bother? Oh, and thanks for barraging us with boolsheet on a 1986 Porsche and a 1992 Corvette. Relevance to 2009?????

1. more likely better braking & transition characteristics, as well as a driver who is better skilled at using his car's strengths & avoiding its weaknesses

2. everyone here understood it except you

3. nope, as I made clear, the Porsche was consistently just a shade faster mid corner, and thus carried that speed at exit and all the way down to the next corner, thus winning the race....it has nothing to do with HP or torque, so PLEASE (as Bob already asked you nicely) do NOT drag us back down that rathole of yours.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
So,
can you explain #3?

If the porsche has more acceleration what is it due to?

Drag to whatever
force pleases you would be equal unless you can tell us why not.
Cd would be near same as would frontal area.
Those comparisons were the best i could find
on iPhone
Mark, this will be my last response to you on this matter. I can only surmise that this is all an act, and you really are a bright guy.

I never, ever said the Porsche had more acceleration. I said it carried more MPH into, thru, and out of the corners....MPH that it kept all down most of the following straights.

Big difference, that most everyone here discerned. I am sure you will figure it out in time.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big difference, that most everyone here discerned. I am sure you will figure it out in time.

What's the over/under?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Dave,

I thought you said this:

"Watching that race, it appeared the Porsches carried more speed into the corner, preserved it at midcorner where it is critical, and thus got bettter launches than their dyno numbers would predict. And then DUE TO BETTER AERO, they were able to keep that velocity....and win the race"

So, below you make a lot of sense, but above, not so much so. Im only going off what you said, and to me, a better launch means more acceleraton, but I think you mean, they are already going faster, due to handling around the turns. If we agree on that, then we can also agree that they are going faster down the straight too, due to that faster exit speed. This, would not have to do with aero at all, but a faster speed exiting the previous turn.
Based on what ive seen of the frontal areas, i dont think the drag differences are much different, and if they were, the advantage would clearly go to the higher hp cars, which in this race, are heavier vehicles, but dont seem to have much more frontal area.

sorry about the dated aero comparisons but I dont think they have changed all that much over the years. in the end, if you get the actual numbers, they are probably pretty close. (i.e frontal area of a vet or GT3)

I never, ever said the Porsche had more acceleration. I said it carried more MPH into, thru, and out of the corners....MPH that it kept all down most of the following straights.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
sorry about the dated aero comparisons but I dont think they have changed all that much over the years. in the end, if you get the actual numbers, they are probably pretty close. (i.e frontal area of a vet or GT3)
Uhmmm... you'd be wrong on that. We just put the '09 body work on our Grand Am Cup Car, and it is vastly different than even last year's.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgrant
Uhmmm... you'd be wrong on that. We just put the '09 body work on our Grand Am Cup Car, and it is vastly different than even last year's.

Pretty hilarious, isn't it? "I don't think they have changed all that much over the years"? He had me at "I don't think..."

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I was hoping John from BGB would chime in here about Porsche Koni engines. However I can see that this thread has turned into another Veloce Raptor vs Kibort fued. ARRRGH!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I was hoping John from BGB would chime in here about Porsche Koni engines. However I can see that this thread has turned into another Veloce Raptor vs Kibort fued. ARRRGH!
Actually, no it has not. Reread Bob Rouleau's post above. I think he spoke for all of us. Has nothing to do with me.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sort of sad, but as soon as I see that both post in the same thread... I immediately become disinterested.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Sort of sad, but as soon as I see that both post in the same thread... I immediately become disinterested.
Apparently so disinterested that you HAD to post, eh?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 597 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm here. It was a true test of my ADD to read every single reply in this thread. When Mike P. emailed it to me last week, I was in Trois Rivieres and couldn't get access to a computer. If i had known it would have taken me 6 hours to roll through the banter, i would have started looking sooner and taken it 1 page per day. You guys are brutal to each other. Do us a favor: go to Hertz and get two beaters and settle this like real men. Post pics of you both walking home with bumper covers and steering wheels in hand and then lay it to rest!

Now what was this thread about anyway?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I'm here. It was a true test of my ADD to read every single reply in this thread. When Mike P. emailed it to me last week, I was in Trois Rivieres and couldn't get access to a computer. If i had known it would have taken me 6 hours to roll through the banter, i would have started looking sooner and taken it 1 page per day. You guys are brutal to each other. Do us a favor: go to Hertz and get two beaters and settle this like real men. Post pics of you both walking home with bumper covers and steering wheels in hand and then lay it to rest!

++++1 I will even chip in $100 of the rental fee. It will be worth it for the entertainment.

Peter
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports

Berate me all you want...but I hate to see folks so misinformed on a forum like this so often. And I am by no means alone in this, judging by the reams of PM's and emails I have received on this thread and others where we have done some fact correction on Mark. One day, bad advice dispensed here may get someone hurt on track, and that bothers me a lot. So bite me if you don't like it!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 444 Posts

Berate me all you want...but I hate to see folks so misinformed on a forum like this so often. And I am by no means alone in this, judging by the reams of PM's and emails I have received on this thread and others where we have done some fact correction on Mark. One day, bad advice dispensed here may get someone hurt on track, and that bothers me a lot. So bite me if you don't like it!

VR

Don't get me wrong as I tune out Kibort every time. I would just love to see you both go head to head on the track.

Peter
Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
VR

Don't get me wrong as I tune out Kibort every time. I would just love to see you both go head to head on the track.

Peter
So would I, Peter. Viking is working with our Make A Wish contact to make this happen. There is no $ to rent a track, so we have to find another way, preferably with the charity beneficiary as the draw. Still not sure if we'll do it in Colorado or at No Problem Raceway in Louisiana, but it is being worked on.

Quick Reply: Koni cup GS porsche dyno power