Koni cup GS porsche dyno power

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
So would I, Peter. Viking is working with our Make A Wish contact to make this happen. There is no $ to rent a track, so we have to find another way, preferably with the charity beneficiary as the draw. Still not sure if we'll do it in Colorado or at No Problem Raceway in Louisiana, but it is being worked on.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

John...my friend...I was not yelling at you, hence the smiley. Sorry if it came off that way.

Also, that picture--which i have even used as an avatar--is anything but embarassing for me. Barber 2005, I had a crappy qualifying, but moved up a lot during my stint...so much so that on the restart after a big accident like 45 minutes into the race, I was in 5th. On the restart, Tom Nastasi was behind me & Mike McDowell was to my left into 1, both in Musttangs in GS, me in the 330i in ST. I knew Nastasi would pass me on power, no problem. McDowell missed an upshift & remained to my left up the hill at 3. Nastasi moved right to pass me on the inside at 4....but he screwed up, hit the apex cuurb, and bounced HARD into me....which pushed me HARD into McDowell.

McDowell and I both went into the grass track left, he went almost to the inside wall. It had rained the night before, so there was lots of water in the grass. I caught it & spun, to the right, coming to a stop mid track, broadside to the entire rest of the field at WOT coming up thet blind hill. The Speed TV video is below. I thought for sure I would get T boned 20 times, but everyone missed me.

McDowell was able to keep going. Nastasi rolled to a stop track right in 5 with a broken ball joint. After the field passed, I got going again, on the radiio to the team. The car was clearly messed up--we didn't know how badly. As I braked into 5, though, the brakes immediately locked...and despite coming off the pedal (not quickly enough, I was distracted by my anger), the fronts remained locked & I slid into the sand.

Brakes freed up while being towed backwards out by the emergency crew. Made it to the pits w/o brakes. 3 broken wheels IIRC, plus apparently an ABS system that got all discombobulated by the broken front wheel, causeing immediate front lockup.

Nevertheless, Tim eventually got in, drove a very good race, and we finished--5 laps down--around where we qualified. And, as you can see below, I got 5 uninterrupted minutes of Speed TV coverage! PRICELESS!

So...I love that photo.

VIDEO HERE

Hmmm Video ... Click .......

Beee jeezus ... Wooa is that Dave Scott blocking the straight ... watch it buddy ..ohhh my god , i hope no one hits him ...... owwwwww , crap dat was close ...betta get moving buddy ...

Hey ! what's dis ,,, ohh no , Dave is in the sand trap again .....
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy oversimplified aero discussion in an attempt to "prove" a point Batman.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Holy oversimplified aero discussion in an attempt to "prove" a point Batman.
This is why he and Ganja Boy make the perfect couple. Combined, their IQ's tickle the double digits, and never have 2 people know SO little about SO much.

But they make up for it in volume.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Again, it is IS a general picture of what an airfoil will produce as far as Lift to Drag ratios. No, it has NOTHING to do with specific speeds. where did you read or think that? Until near supersonic, those values are valid.

Now, you bring up gurney flap. Do you know what that actuall does? In essences, and particularly for our discussion, it does not change "those numers" dramatically, where did you get that info? What it does is effectively change the angle of attack number, without changing the drag number as much, or you could look at it as changing the air foil shape very slightly so that the cord is altered

Originally Posted by jgrant
Just be aware that those numbers are generally valid for that specific airfoil profile at specific speeds.

And it has no Gurney flap, which will also dramatically alter those numbers.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You are amazing.

Your statement is pure irony

You originally say, the difference was due to aero, yet you have not answered a single question as of why. I have provided some tools and information to discuss why. you know what hey say, you can lead a dead horse to water, but..............

This is why he and Ganja Boy make the perfect couple. Combined, their IQ's tickle the double digits, and never have 2 people know SO little about SO much.

But they make up for it in volume.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

So, in summary, JGRANT, VR, do you have an facts to assist the approiximation of a drag figure?

If you agree with the numbers below, and EVEN if the new version of the 996GT3 had a better Cd (coefficient of drag), would the HP/drag ratio not change much due to the heavier Vets, higher HP. This is truely the difference. Now, if the "launch out of the turns" or something else is the reason, (ie mechanical grip, HP weight, etc) is the difference, fine. BUT we are talking aero here.

You made the statements, lets discuss. after all, this is a discussion.

Originally Posted by mark kibort

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 92.5 in Length: 175.6 in
Width: 71.2 in Height: 48.1 in (3425 sq") REF: 3607 sq" for the VET GT2 ALMS)

so, Thats a 5% difference in aero frontal area. ?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

More Irony. You are predictable, Ill give you that!

Quick Reply: Koni cup GS porsche dyno power