Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts
Exclamation It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari

From the AP:

July 29, 2009 01:04 PM EST | AP

ROME — Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher is making a comeback for Ferrari to replace injured driver Felipe Massa.

Ferrari said Wednesday in a statement that the German had agreed to get back in the cockpit until Massa is fit to return.

Schumacher said: "Though it is true that the Formula One chapter has long been closed for me, it is also true that for team loyalty reasons I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation."

The 28-year-old Massa was hit in the helmet by a loose part from another car and crashed into a protective tire barrier at 120 mph during qualifying Saturday at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
In other news, witnesses spotted a certain Sir A Wayne, jumping off a bridge and plunging into the Danube river in Budapest. He suffered minor head injuries (not to be confused with the irrepairable major head trauma he has always had) by falling on top of a tourist boat in the river. He's expected to recover. Partially.

Last edited by ilko; 07-29-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

WHERE IS A. WAYNE.

THIS IS FANTASIC NEWS. OH, YEA BABY, IT'S ON!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

RING THE BELL, SCHOOL'S IN SESSION KIDDIES!!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's more:

Schumacher to make F1 return in Spain

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 16:51 GMT

Michael Schumacher, the seven-times world champion, plans to come out of retirement as Felipe Massa's replacement at Ferrari from the European Grand Prix.

Following days of speculation about who would slot in alongside Kimi Raikkonen following Massa's Hungarian GP crash, Ferrari issued a statement on Wednesday afternoon confirming that Schumacher was being prepared for the role.

The statement said that Schumacher was 'ready' to make his F1 return, and would undertake a training programme over the next few days to ensure he was up to full fitness for an F1 race.

The German, who quit F1 at the end of 2006, injured himself in a motorbike accident earlier this year and the team want to make sure there are no hidden problems before confirming his position.

Schumacher has previously baulked at the idea of returning to F1 full-time, but with Massa looking likely to return when he is back to full fitness, and Ferrari in need of a top-line driver, the opportunity is one that has attracted him.

"The most important thing first: thanks God, all news concerning Felipe are positive. I wish him all the best again," said Schumacher.

"I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

"Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

Once Schumacher gets the green light, it will be the first time he has raced alongside Kimi Raikkonen, as the pair bid to secure Ferrari third place in the constructors' championship.

It also comes at a time when Ferrari's F60 appears to have made good progress on the track, and its KERS could prove to be an advantage in the forthcoming races at Valencia, Spa, Monza and Singapore.

Schumacher has not tested the current F60, and has not driven since April 2008 when he ran an F2008 at Barcelona.

The announcement of Schumacher's plans comes 24 hours after his manager Willi Weber totally ruled out the possibility of the German racing in Valencia.

"Whoever sits in the car at the next race in Valencia, it will not be Michael Schumacher. I am not 100 per cent sure; I am 200 per cent sure," Weber was quoted as saying by The Daily Mail.

"The pressure on him would be huge. He would be expected to win, but he has not driven this car. When Michael was racing he would get as close to perfection as possible. In this case, it would not be perfection; it would be a gamble - and that's not Michael's style."
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Brett, then Lance, now this.
Where does it end?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not expecting much from Schumacher for the first couple of races should this happen. While he's a great test/development guy there just isn't enough time for him to get the car setup as well as he'd want.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I'm not expecting much from Schumacher for the first couple of races should this happen. While he's a great test/development guy there just isn't enough time for him to get the car setup as well as he'd want.
Heresy!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Wow. Incredible! The stands will be full & TV viewershhip should peak. Excellent!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woohoo!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darren
Heresy!
Indeed!!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
First Brett, then Lance, now this.
Where does it end?
Hey, if Schumacher can get 3rd at Valencia, all we would need then is for Alonso to talk trash about him.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I was absolutely sure this was not going to happen... Just this morning I was commenting on the possibility of Fisi, which shows how far off I was...

Well, if this should come off, then the old "Schu is scared of Kimi" saw can be shelved...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the long break between races plays into this decision. Mandatory (2?) week factory shutdowns, testing ban. etc.
Had this not happened to Massa, I am sure we would never have seen him in an F1 car again, so no matter what happens or where he places, this is going to be something to watch.

Again, Ferrari is not in the hunt for the Constructor's title, Kimi is not in the WDC hunt (so doesn't need a #2), this is essentially driving "just for the sport".

TV ratings will be up, ticket sales will be up, the morale in the Ferrari pits will be up, he will be working with his former race engineer again and likely the majority of his crew, Bernie is going to have to see his doctor since I'm sure this will last much longer than 4 hours for him.

I am sure they will temper expectations given the above circumstances, but when a 7X WDC is in a car, it demands attention and respect.
Given the style of his starts, combined with KERS, the start of each GP will be fantastic.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=amjf088;6771371]I was absolutely sure this was not going to happen... Just this morning I was commenting on the possibility of Fisi, which shows how far off I was...

Well, if this should come off, then the old "Schu is scared of Kimi" saw can be shelved...[/QUOTE]

Please! that was A. Wayne drivel where he thinks that if he says it enough times, it becomes true.

I don't want to hear another bad word against Schumacher. Here is a guy that has nothing to prove, is 40 years old, stepping into a car he has never driven, against a teammate that is at least 10 years younger, in a Ferrari that is no where near the front runners and is a 7 time WDC. This can only damage his reputation and iconic legend. Yet, he doesn't care!! He does it for the love of the sport.

ltc, great line about Bernie, but mine hasn't come down since I read the story!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow - this sets up a fantastic finish to this Formula 1 season - where a few weeks ago it looked like a runaway for Button and kind of boring - with Schumi racing, Kimi and McClaren showing life - I can't wait till the next race. You just never know!!!

Quick Reply: It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari