It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Finn, if you go to Monza, let me know. We're thinking Monza may be a better (meaning MORE FUN) race. Any suggestions on places to stay? How far is Monza from Milan itself? We'll settle on our plans in the next day or so.

Toby
If I can go earlier, I'll let you know. I might just land on Sunday morning and see the race without staying any nights.

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
Monza is in a park on the outskirts of Millan................the park is huge; stay in Milan just for the atmosphere.

Personally I'd go to Spa.
+1 & +1 although it depens what you want.

In Spa, you get a great race accompanied with lousy weather and not so much around where as in Milan you get a good race (can be great) accompanied with great weather and city right there.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, isn't that just amazing--my full weekend tickets to Spa arrived yesterday in the mail!

I'm wrapping up a 2 year rotation in Europe, and I had to get to an F1 race before I returned to the US. I live about an hour from Spa, so I'd already planned on going, and now this is going to be something to see!!

Geoff.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobt993
Okay, considering all the insiders and experts did not see this coming. Someone post a poll before any more info comes down. Assume MS passes his physical. Predictions: Will MS score points, podium be off pace with all the differences in the current cars, etc. Will the F1 allow him to test in preparation (who knows what deal was made with the devil).
http://www.williamhillmedia.com/inde...asp?file=12878
F1: Could Schumacher Cost Bookies Millions?
William Hill are offering 16/1 that Michael Schumacher win his first Grand Prix back and offer 1/2 that he has a points finish. "The return of Schumacher could see turnover increase by up to five times and if Schumacher could win it the bookies will be paying out Millions," said Hill's spokesman Rupert Adams.

William Hill Odds:

Michael Schumacher European GP

Win – 16/1

Podium finish – 3/1

Points finish –1/2

Pole Position – 16/1

Finishing Position

1st – 16/1

2nd – 10/1

3rd – 7/1

4th to 8th – 11/10

9th or worse – 6/4

Who Will Finish Higher In A Higher Position: 1/1Michael Schumacher, 8/11 Kimi Raikkonen

Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Your are an angry little man aren't you? I've been trying my best to be civil with you, but you just can't do the same. Okay let's do the math for you since your incapable of having an objective opinion.

Ferrari drivers are 7th and 9th in the WDC points. Out of 30 possible podium spots over 10 races, they have scored exactly 3. That equates to 10% podium finishes. Out of those 3 podiums, all were in 3rd place. Ferrari has not sniffed a race win all year.

Team points:

Brawn: 114

Red Bull: 98.5

Ferrari: 40

Toyota: 38.5

McLaren: 28

The 2nd place team has more than double the points Ferrari currently has. Lowly Toyota is only 1.5 points behind Ferrari. A Renault just got pole position and Alonso might have won or at least podiumed after this race were it not for the loose nut. Hamilton did win and convincingly in the McLaren with the new front wing.

Ferrari will be overtaken by McLaren for 3rd spot in just 2 races. It will be a battle for 4th between Ferrari and Toyota.

Your the genius, explain to me how, and on what planet does Ferrari have a competitive car? Your just a moron if you refute any of the fact just presented to you.

I'm on record as saying that Valencia will be a tough race for Schumacher as he doesn't know the car nor has he ever been to the track. I'm also on record as saying he will podium at Spa.

Look, go find A. Wayne and have a little Alonso/Hamilton love fest amongst yourselves. Leave the rest of the world alone.
Pete, wasting time arguing with this guy...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts
Default If A. Wayne isn't over a bridge yet, this should do it...

Schumacher could be offered seat for 2010 says Watson
30 July 2009

Northern Ireland's John Watson wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari would sign up Michael Schumacher for next season. The German will replace Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix, and maybe even for the rest of the season depending on Massa's physical condition.

Watson was the first to test the Jordan 191 in the autumn of 1990, the car going on to be the first Formula One car driven by seven times F1 World Champion, Michael Schumacher.

Speaking about Schumacher's return in Formula 1 he was quoted by our colleagues at the BBC saying: "Michael will spend a lot of time in the Ferrari F1 simulator between now and Valencia.

"He's not race fit, but that simulator is almost as good as the real thing. Believe me, he will not go to Valencia unless he thinks he has not only a chance to pick up points for the team, but also that he can win the race.

"There's every chance he will be there for the rest of the season. Michael will be the best available to Ferrari - and he might be so good that they will offer him a drive for 2010."

British racing legend John Watson's best season was in 1982 when he finished second in the world championship standings. Watson competed in 152 Formula 1 races and claimed five victories.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your are an angry little man aren't you? I've been trying my best to be civil with you, but you just can't do the same. Okay let's do the math for you since your incapable of having an objective opinion.

Ferrari drivers are 7th and 9th in the WDC points. Out of 30 possible podium spots over 10 races, they have scored exactly 3. That equates to 10% podium finishes. Out of those 3 podiums, all were in 3rd place. Ferrari has not sniffed a race win all year.

Team points:

The 2nd place team has more than double the points Ferrari currently has. Lowly Toyota is only 1.5 points behind Ferrari. A Renault just got pole position and Alonso might have won or at least podiumed after this race were it not for the loose nut. Hamilton did win and convincingly in the McLaren with the new front wing.

Ferrari will be overtaken by McLaren for 3rd spot in just 2 races. It will be a battle for 4th between Ferrari and Toyota.

Your the genius, explain to me how, and on what planet does Ferrari have a competitive car? Your just a moron if you refute any of the fact just presented to you.

I'm on record as saying that Valencia will be a tough race for Schumacher as he doesn't know the car nor has he ever been to the track. I'm also on record as saying he will podium at Spa.

Look, go find A. Wayne and have a little Alonso/Hamilton love fest amongst yourselves. Leave the rest of the world alone.
HAHAHAHAHA Pete, you must be kidding me.

Last 5 races

Hungary - KIMI - 2nd
Germany - Massa - 3rd
Britain - Massa 4th
Turkey - Massa 6th
Monaco - Kimi 3rd , Massa 4th

What do you see here PETE? YOU SEE THE FERRARI'S GETTING FASTER DONT YOU?????????

Not to mention Massa has been handing Kimi his behind all season and Kimi still finished second, so it's reasonable that Massa would have likely still finished ahead of Kimi or at least in the near vicinity.

Do those finishes look like a team that's still no where near the front runners? Your stats going to the beginning of the season are useless because things change. The Ferrari that was on the grid in Australia would not have finished 2nd in Hungary. But the Ferrari that was on the grid in Hungary could have finished second in Australia.

Do you finally get the point now? Maybe not because you always have been allergic to the facts.

Nico Rosberg has more points that Lewis, but who do you expect will score more points by the end of the season? Massa would easily still be in 5th in the Drivers Points with a good finish this weekend. Even after starting with a crap car this season.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,195 Likes on 424 Posts

Team points:

I see your point on wins, but also see an improving trend for Ferrari that is hard to ignore. They were barely smelling the top 10 at the beginning of the season. In Spain, Kimi retired, Massa came in 6th. Monaco? 3 and 4. Turkey, 9 and 6. Silverstone, 8 and 4. Germany, ret and 3. Hungary, 2 and dns. Based on qualifying, the car is clearly faster relative to the field than it was. And you're saying that they're not competitive with the top cars? They weren't in the beginning, but they are not to shabby now and definitely competitive.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Exactly! The car is good enough to win a race. I mean, we saw Fernando Alonso on Pole for goodness sake, that isn't exactly representative of how their season has been going. Lewis winning and Kimi second isn't anything like what we saw at the beginning of the season. But could be a regular sight from hear on out. And the Ferrari's are a change or two away from being right back at the front.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I said the Ferrari is not a front running car. It's better than it was at the beginning of the season, but so is the McLaren, Red Bulls, Renault, Toro Rosso. The only cars that have slipped is the Brawn, maybe Toyota. BMW is not even in the picture.

Right now, who do you put your money on for a win?

It's not Ferrari. Before you put down your money on an F car, you'd put it on a Red Bull, McLaren, maybe a Brawn, a wash with the Renault, but even the Renault had a chance to win the GP with past race.

The Ferrari's are picking up points, but never a threat to win anything. Hopefully that change, but with the factories shut down for 2 weeks, no one can make those improvements.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
HAHAHAHAHA Pete, you must be kidding me.

Last 5 races

Hungary - KIMI - 2nd
Germany - Massa - 3rd
Britain - Massa 4th
Turkey - Massa 6th
Monaco - Kimi 3rd , Massa 4th
That trend shows the Ferrari going all the way from a 3rd place car to a 2nd place car. Not what I would call much of an improvement.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That trend shows the Ferrari going all the way from a 3rd place car to a 2nd place car. Not what I would call much of an improvement.

No actually that trend shows the Ferrari being better on tracks with high mechanical grip requirements (= not many high speed corners). But if you compare that to the beginning of the season, you'll see the drastic improvement over the last 5 races.

Besides, there isn't much improvement to be had from 2nd and 3rd place finishes. There is only 1-2 cars left to beat. That's not exactly a mile away from the front runners is it?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Button expects Schumacher to be competitive
30 July 2009

Brawn GP driver Jenson Button believes Michael Schumacher will still be competitive at next month's European Grand Prix where the German will make his comeback in Formula 1. Button expects Schumacher to be fit enough.

"It's a tough position for him to be in but I'm happy he's taken up the challenge and it's very brave of him. He's still young - 40 is not old and he'll still be competitive," Button told the BBC. "His reactions will still be there and I'm sure he's fit enough.

"He tested in winter and was quick, he jumped in and on the first run he was competitive. I'm sure he's fit enough as he trains pretty hard, it's just whether he's been able to do enough work on his neck, and Valencia is a circuit he doesn't know."
Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I said the Ferrari is not a front running car.
SELF OWNAGE IN

I don't want to hear another bad word against Schumacher. Here is a guy that has nothing to prove, is 40 years old, stepping into a car he has never driven, against a teammate that is at least 10 years younger, in a Ferrari that is no where near the front runners and is a 7 time WDC. This can only damage his reputation and iconic legend. Yet, he doesn't care!! He does it for the love of the sport.

ltc, great line about Bernie, but mine hasn't come down since I read the story!!!

Don't know your interpretation of the English language, but mine says that those two sentences aren't even close to meaning the same thing.

Right now, who do you put your money on for a win?

It's not Ferrari. Before you put down your money on an F car, you'd put it on a Red Bull, McLaren, maybe a Brawn, a wash with the Renault, but even the Renault had a chance to win the GP with past race.

The Ferrari's are picking up points, but never a threat to win anything. Hopefully that change, but with the factories shut down for 2 weeks, no one can make those improvements.

Yes, the other cars have gotten better too, but obviously not as much improvement as the Ferrari's and McLaren's who most would agree are the two best teams in F1 in terms of development. Maybe a team or two mixed in there as well, but those are the cream of the crop. PERIOD.

I, nor anyone else said the Ferrari's were the favorite to win, so stop trying to switch strategies and admit you were wrong and the Ferrari's are quite close to the front runners. Close enough to beat them heads up, or actually, catch them from behind, and then beat them heads up, which happened this past weekend.

The Brawns were clearly head and shoulders above everyone else at the beginning. Can you say that now? NOPE! Things change, and the Ferrari's have gained serious ground with more left to go.

You fail at the facts once again.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Not to mention Massa has been handing Kimi his behind all season and Kimi still finished second, so it's reasonable that Massa would have likely still finished ahead of Kimi or at least in the near vicinity...
Huh?

Australia:
Q2:Massa 9th 1.25,319 - Kimi 10th 1.25,380
Q3: Massa 7th 1.27,033 - Kimi 9th 1.27,163
Race: Kimi 15th - Massa DNF

Malaysia:
Q2: Kimi 7th 1.34,456 - Massa Didn't make it to 2nd
Q3: Kimi 9th 1.36,170 - Massa Didn't make it to 2nd
Race: Massa 9th - Kimi 14th

China:
Q2: Kimi 9th 1.35,856 - Massa 13th 1.36,033
Q3: Kimi 8th 1.38,089 - Massa Didn't make it to 3rd
Race: Kimi 10th - Massa DNF

Bahrain:
Q2: Kimi 4th 1.32,827 - Massa 9th 1.33,014
Q3: Massa 8th 1.34,818 - Kimi 10th 1.35,380
Race: Kimi 6th - Massa 14th

Spain:
Q2: Massa 4th 1.20,149 - Kimi 16th 1.21,291
Q3: Massa 4th 1.20,934 - Kimi didn't make it into 2nd
Race: Massa 6th - Kimi DNF

Monaco:
Q2: Kimi 1st 1.14,514 - Massa 7th 1.15,001
Q3: Kimi 2nd 1.14,927 - Massa 5th 1.15,437
Race: Kimi 3rd - Massa 4th

Turkey:
Q2: Massa 4th 1.27,349 - Kimi 5th 1.27,387
Q3: Kimi 6th 1.28,815 - Massa 7th 1.28,858
Race: Massa 6th - Kimi 9th

Germany:
Q2: Massa 9th 1.41,708 - Kimi 10th 1.41,730
Q3: Massa 8th 1.34,574 - Kimi 9th 1.34,710
Race: Massa 3rd - Kimi DNF

Hungary:
Q2: Kimi 5th 1.20,647 - Massa 8th 1.20,823
Q3: Kimi 7th - Massa unfortunately was out
Race: Kimi 2nd - Massa out

TOTAL (without Hungary):

Q2: Kimi faster 4 times, Massa 4...
Q3: Kimi faster 4 times, Massa 4...
Race: Kimi finished better 4 times, Massa 4.

So yes, Massa has definitely been handing his rear to Kimi...
And when you take into account that Massa had the new parts (that made noticeable improvement) in Germany which Kimi only got at Hungary, still he was only a fraction slower there.

I know you like to bash Kimi and while he hasn't had the best year (except Hungary where he was brilliant), try to be little more realistic.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:17 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Ok, ok, I exaggerated a tad, and that really wasn't my point to begin with. The point was it was more than likely that Massa would have finished ahead of Kimi than vice versa based on the season results. Massa had two car failures to Kimi's one and missed a whole race and still has more points. I don't bash Kimi, not that I can remember anyways.

Quick Reply: It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari