It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Little Schumi news.

Ferrari has found a way for Schumi to go around the test ban by attending Ferrari's "Corse Clienti" event where Ferrari owners drive their own cars. Some of the folks who are in this program just happen to own old Ferrari F1 cars so there is a chance that Schumi "might" be able to borrow those cars a little...

He also already drove a F1 car at Mugello. It was with F2007 car that Kimi drove for Championship in 2007.
(Test ban is only for current cars so you can test all you want with older cars).

Looks like Schumi is back to being Schumi...

Personally I think there should be exceptions to the rule and this being one of them. If a driver is injured and needs a replacement, and the test drivers CAN'T TEST, then why wouldn't you let a guy get some track time prior to jumping in the car for practice at the track? That is retarded. Now they are putting the 40 year old most decorated driver in F1 history in a car he hasn't driven hardly at all after he's been out for almost 3 years.

The poor new kid from last week was the youngest driver in F1 history and had no test time in the car recently. He still turned some respectable sector times though.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...u-to-test-f60/

this is good for f1 and they all realize it
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Dez & tasracer: AGREED

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even MLB allows for a pitcher to be given time to warm up if the starting pitcher is injured...

Kudos to FOTA on this one.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Personally I think there should be exceptions to the rule and this being one of them. If a driver is injured and needs a replacement, and the test drivers CAN'T TEST, then why wouldn't you let a guy get some track time prior to jumping in the car for practice at the track? That is retarded. Now they are putting the 40 year old most decorated driver in F1 history in a car he hasn't driven hardly at all after he's been out for almost 3 years.

The poor new kid from last week was the youngest driver in F1 history and had no test time in the car recently. He still turned some respectable sector times though.
I agree and am not against him testing. He hasn't driven F1 car since last year so surely it's good to get some "feel".

As you can see from the report posted, FOTA actually has agreed to give him a full day of testing in current, F60 which IMO is a pretty big "hand" to Schumi (Jaime Alguesari didn't get any extra tests even though he had no time in F1 car ever) but I guess they all realize how big this is for F1 and want him to be successful.

I also agree about Jaime, he had done couple of straight line tests (which really are nothing) but did exceptionally well, I have no doubts Schumi is right at home in Valencia, especially now that he has been given time to test & tune the car.
(Below couple of pics from today)

Originally Posted by tasracer
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...u-to-test-f60/

this is good for f1 and they all realize it
+1
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Wonder if Schumi will hit any of the decent driving/racing simulators programs that has Valencia circuit.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really hoping he would come in the stig suit. that would easily be the greatest thing ever witnessed on TV if he did.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I knew the FOTA said it was okay for MS to test for 1 day only in the F60. Did the FIA sign off on it too?

I think it took this very significant injury to show the FIA that cutting costs is noble, but if there is no testing whatsoever, it could lead to more injuries as a result of not being familiar with the car. This machines are fighter jets on land. NO one in their right mind would put a pilot in a fighter jet without extensive testing. The Spanard Jaime A. did a great job considering he only had straight line tests.

Schumacher coming back will not only be good for the sport, but for all the teams as well based on the renewed interest and exposure. To have shot down the request from Ferrari would have been shooting themselves in the foot -- especially considering Ferrari has no shot at either championship this year. I wonder if the FOTA answer would have been different if they were contenders for the Constructors Championship?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Man, does it look good seeing that helmet on track again.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Wonder if Schumi will hit any of the decent driving/racing simulators programs that has Valencia circuit.
No Playstation needed, he has already been and will basically spend every day from now to Valencia in Ferrari's simulator.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

No Playstation needed, he has already been and will basically spend every day from now to Valencia in Ferrari's simulator.
I would have thought that the 2 week 'ban' would prevent him from using the simulator.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
I was really hoping he would come in the stig suit. that would easily be the greatest thing ever witnessed on TV if he did.

You do realize that was a gimmick and he is not really the stig right?

I still agree that it would have been awesome though.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes I realize that. that is why it would be hilarious to see him wear it to a race.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:38 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Schumi could probably 'borrow' the Ferrari simulator and bring it home.
All depends on how huge the mainframe/computer array is.

All for entertainment purposes, that is.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Wish it were me.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari