Sponsored by:

It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Finn, if you go to Monza, let me know. We're thinking Monza may be a better (meaning MORE FUN) race. Any suggestions on places to stay? How far is Monza from Milan itself? We'll settle on our plans in the next day or so.

Toby
I'm also thinking of going to Monza and had the same questions. People suggested the 6A Grandstand right after the start/finish and before the first chicane. I had the same questions regarding which airport to fly in and where to stay, but it looks like I got my answer.

I'm still both shocked and estatic that "The Stig" is coming back!!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I'm also thinking of going to Monza and had the same questions. People suggested the 6A Grandstand right after the start/finish and before the first chicane. I had the same questions regarding which airport to fly in and where to stay, but it looks like I got my answer.

If I'll go, I do it like in Monaco, I just show up and get the tickets there. I know there's gonna be a huge crowd but every f1 race I've been in so far have had people selling tickets at the gates.

And yes, there's good connetions to Milan and the track is well located. If you haven't been in Milan before, it's a great city to spend a weekend.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

It depends how much time you have.

When I went I had to go to Imola and Marranello so I flew to Paris then on to Venice.

From Venice I went to Bologna, Imola up to Modena and Marranello and the Ferrari factory and gallaria. Next day up to Milan and Monza which as mentioned is a park on the outskirts of the city.

You can fly out of Milan.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
It depends how much time you have.

When I went I had to go to Imola and Marranello so I flew to Paris then on to Venice.

From Venice I went to Bologna, Imola up to Modena and Marranello and the Ferrari factory and gallaria. Next day up to Milan and Monza which as mentioned is a park on the outskirts of the city.

You can fly out of Milan.
That sounds like a great trip. But unfortunately don't have that much time. I was just planning on going there for the weekend of the race. Pity...since i've never been to Europe yet...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
A week in week out contender, probably not, but a top 5 finisher, absolutely.
I'm arguing with an idiot, so I'm done with you. Read your own quote Dez.

"A week in and week out contender, probably not."

Top 5 is not a front runner. There have been 4 race winners this year, Button (6), Vettel, (2), Webber (1), Hamilton (1). The Ferrari cannot content for a race win at least not yet. Either car/driver has never threatened to win a single race. Period!

Perhaps your definition of front runner is different than mine. All you have to do is look at the weekly pole of who thinks either Massa or Kimi were favored to win. Very few ever picked the F drivers and the results back that up.

Finally, when they did make the podium 10% of the time, they were way back, never a threat to win a single race.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,195 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Perhaps your definition of front runner is different than mine.
I don't think that's the issue at all. You originally said the Ferraris were no where near the front runners. Front runner is 1st place or cars that have run in 1st place, right? Perhaps you're looking at qualifying and not race results? Maybe it is best if you clue us all in to your definition. After that, tell me what you think is 'near' a front runner. Would 2nd place be near enough? How about 3rd or 4th? Where do you draw that line?

...or maybe you didn't mean what you originally said (the 'no where near' part)?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm arguing with an idiot, so I'm done with you. Read your own quote Dez.

"A week in and week out contender, probably not."

Top 5 is not a front runner. There have been 4 race winners this year, Button (6), Vettel, (2), Webber (1), Hamilton (1). The Ferrari cannot content for a race win at least not yet. Either car/driver has never threatened to win a single race. Period!

Perhaps your definition of front runner is different than mine. All you have to do is look at the weekly pole of who thinks either Massa or Kimi were favored to win. Very few ever picked the F drivers and the results back that up.

Finally, when they did make the podium 10% of the time, they were way back, never a threat to win a single race.
I'm going to refrain from personal attacks because I'm not the one with my foot in my mouth.

Once again, I NEVER SAID THEY WERE A FRONT RUNNER, NOR HAS ANYONE ELSE. But they have a car that given good circumstances and the right track can win a race, and beat the front runners doing it.

YOU SAID "they are far from the front runners," and that is blatantly apparent not to be the case. They are competitive with the front runners, just not equal to them as of yet. But far from them would be Ferrari at the beginning of the season, or Force India, BMW even. Who aren't even close.

But 3 podiums in the last 4 races doesn't sound too far behind the front runners now does it PETE???? A little comprehension would do you well.

FACTS PETE................................... FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAST 4 RACES:

Brawn: 2 Podiums
Ferrari: 3 Podiums

Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow. I didn't think I'd have to explain the definition of front runner, but here it is, straight of out the dictionary:

Front Runner:

1. A person who leads a competition

2. An entrant in a race who breaks away to the front immediately and establishes the pace for the field

3. An entrant that performs well in a race only when ahead of the field

By definition, a Ferrari has never done this in 2009. Hopefully this helps everyone with what the meaning of a front runner is.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm going to refrain from personal attacks because I'm not the one with my foot in my mouth.

Once again, I NEVER SAID THEY WERE A FRONT RUNNER, NOR HAS ANYONE ELSE. But they have a car that given good circumstances and the right track can win a race, and beat the front runners doing it.

YOU SAID "they are far from the front runners," and that is blatantly apparent not to be the case. They are competitive with the front runners, just not equal to them as of yet. But far from them would be Ferrari at the beginning of the season, or Force India, BMW even. Who aren't even close.

But 3 podiums in the last 4 races doesn't sound too far behind the front runners now does it PETE???? A little comprehension would do you well.

FACTS PETE................................... FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAST 4 RACES:

Brawn: 3 Podiums
Ferrari: 4 Podiums

I love it when you yell, Dezzie. Now go check in the dictionary and make sure I got it right. That's a good boy...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, are you reading???????

You can't possibly be!!!!!!

Not one person in this whole thread has said the Ferrari's were front runners!!!!!!

But they sure have beaten the front runners in podiums the last few races.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpinkert
I don't think that's the issue at all. You originally said the Ferraris were no where near the front runners. Front runner is 1st place or cars that have run in 1st place, right? Perhaps you're looking at qualifying and not race results? Maybe it is best if you clue us all in to your definition. After that, tell me what you think is 'near' a front runner. Would 2nd place be near enough? How about 3rd or 4th? Where do you draw that line?

...or maybe you didn't mean what you originally said (the 'no where near' part)?
Shhhhhhhhh.. I've got Dez on a string right now...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

That sounds like a great trip. But unfortunately don't have that much time. I was just planning on going there for the weekend of the race. Pity...since i've never been to Europe yet...
I was forunate to live there for 24 years (the first 24 ) and then worked there out of Canada.

Given the short timeframe you have then go for the best of the best grandstands and stay near the atmosphere; get to the track for everything and soak it all in..............dont forget the ear plugs
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Little Schumi news.

Ferrari has found a way for Schumi to go around the test ban by attending Ferrari's "Corse Clienti" event where Ferrari owners drive their own cars. Some of the folks who are in this program just happen to own old Ferrari F1 cars so there is a chance that Schumi "might" be able to borrow those cars a little...

He also already drove a F1 car at Mugello. It was with F2007 car that Kimi drove for Championship in 2007.
(Test ban is only for current cars so you can test all you want with older cars).

Looks like Schumi is back to being Schumi...
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how does one set up an older F1 car to mimic the behaviour of the current big front wing tall rear wing F1 car.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ew928
So how does one set up an older F1 car to mimic the behaviour of the current big front wing tall rear wing F1 car.
Crank up a ton of front wing & very little rear wing, somehow I think Ferrari boys have enough data to get it as close to F60 as possible...

Quick Reply: It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari