Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA at VIR 7/24-26

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm still waiting, what are good times for GTS3 at VIR?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BWAHAHAHAHAHA......
You're such an instigator there Teddy!!

Are you going to jump off your Sparkle Pony and join us that weekend??
YOU need to quit being a puss and jump into the fray, that car you have is possessed by the "Oberdorfer" and destined to RACE once again...c'mon man...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I'm still waiting, what are good times for GTS3 at VIR?
Demanding lil' feller aint ya?

You'll likely find that most of us will be sub 2:10, generally around 2:09 with some 08s in there...we have a fellow competitor that pulled an 07 or two in the BMW Club Race a few months ago as well.

ME?? ...geez, I'm just hoping to be able to keep up with those cheatin' bastards!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 PM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Says the BIGGEST cheater in the bunch!!
You know, you seemed to have some new found speed last month...kinda makes me wonder...and I know it's not your driving.

Originally Posted by comatb
I can't speak for NASA, but the dyno guys at VIR have worked out a correction factor to simulate the (DynoJet) numbers for 944 Cup......
yeah, it's not accurate. I did a few runs earlier in the year at VIR on the Viper dyno using their "dynojet correction factor", and it was off 5-6% from actual Dynojet numbers, at least for my car.
But I agree with Jeff, it would be great to have full compliance check capability at VIR.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Demanding lil' feller aint ya?
Thanks, now how about some good race video from VIR. I've watched most of Eric W.'s, would like to view more.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
3gMotorsports
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3G Motorsports (The shop that maintains Terry's car) never registered nor suggested classification for Terry's car for any NASA race. We only provided support for the SE region CMP race. As has been previously stated (and I can not verify this) but classification of the car was left to the discretion of the NASA officials. We will look into the issue and make sure that the car is properly classified for the upcoming VIR race. Thanks for everyones concerns.

Jonathan Beaver
3G Motorsports
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 3gMotorsports
classification of the car was left to the discretion of the NASA officials.
There's the problem
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Thanks, now how about some good race video from VIR. I've watched most of Eric W.'s, would like to view more.
MAN, you ARE demanding!! ...reminds me of someone I live with.

Well shoot, what else would ya like? ...borrow some tires, brake pads?

I think you'll fair just fine, I've seen your work at Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio...enough to make ME worry about my own performance at my "home track"!!

I have posted some fine examples of shoddy driving on Vimeo, think my logon is Trackrocket...haven't posted anything lately because I forgot how to work my Sony Vegas Studio "whatever" software! ...I tried to edit the footage from the GTB car I drove at VIR a few weekends ago to no avail...my brain power is definitely catching up with my gray hair!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Mr. 3G Beaver, no worries...rest assured that 99.9% of us understand.

I'm happy to hear that Terry is in good hands, after all, he certainly needs a good babysitter!

Poor Terry, probably too busy to logon and defend himself.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

MAN, you ARE demanding!! ...reminds me of someone I live with.
Well shoot, what else would ya like? ...borrow some tires, brake pads?
I think you'll fair just fine, I've seen your work at Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio...enough to make ME worry about my own performance at my "home track"!!
You won't have to worry about me, this is only my 3rd trip to VIR. First was in 2005 right after I started DE's. I turned whopping 2:30's on the full course on a good lap. Returned two years ago and ran the North course for the UTCC.

Plus my car is really slow, it's got the engine on the wrong end and is just a little 4-cylinder NA. I'll probably lose 3 seconds on the back straight alone.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like this Terry guy is a full blown Cheater, I'd stay away from him. He's probably the size of Steve Johnson. Danger Danger
Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Plus my car is really slow, it's got the engine on the wrong end and is just a little 4-cylinder NA. I'll probably lose 3 seconds on the back straight alone.
OH LORD!! ...I've heard that one before.

Again, I've seen your work, not too bad for one o'doze foh-poppers.

Sounds like this Terry guy is a full blown Cheater, I'd stay away from him. He's probably the size of Steve Johnson. Danger
I've heard the same thing...I just don't bring it up cuz Terry bought me a few beers to keep my mouth shut!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

You know, you seemed to have some new found speed last month...kinda makes me wonder...and I know it's not your driving.
It's just because I don't think a car with skinnier tires should be AHEAD OF ME!! ...it's just not fair!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Sounds like this Terry guy is a full blown Cheater, I'd stay away from him. He's probably the size of Steve Johnson. Danger Danger
Scott, you LOVE to stir up crap dont you!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:18 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

I wanted to point out something here: Would a 997 Cup be in GTS5? I was told that it would probably be in 5. Now that being said how is that even close to being fair to someone like Terry if he was also in GTS5? We are talking a 5 or 6 second difference in lap times at VIR!! Terry's car is a 2001 Cup! I think I remember a GTB car - maybe Roger - running 2:03 for a fast lap? Terry did a 2:01.8 I think?
I don't know exactly how NASA does things but there are other factors to consider as well.
Rog, what brakes do you have on your car? Terry has 4 piston front brakes - same as a 996 Turbo street car. I would be willing to guess also that his power to weight ratio is very close to yours. If I understand correctly you have an x51 motor in your car? Terry's car is probably slightly better than yours, but does that make him a cheat? No of course not - no more than a guy in a 997 Cup would be cheating against a 996 cup if they were both in GTS5.
I am not trying to say anything bad about anyone here (especially not you Rog since you are MUCH bigger than me). I am just trying to point out that some things are just not perfectly fair. It does not make Terry a cheat!

Now I will say that when someone has an unfair advantage - especially if they are cheating - and not just happen to be the beneficiary of simple rules that cant make everything perfect - it is very frustrating! At Watkins Glen PCA race I remember pulling up to grid behind a 997 Cup in GTC4 that had a World Challenge wing and a Grand-Am exhaust. Now that IS cheating. He should have been a GTA car. But you know what - he wasn't that fast anyway so it didnt even matter.

I have an 06 997 Cup. I am 20-25 hp down on an 08-09 Cup. The newer cars have a slight advantage - some tracks more, some less. But the 06-07 cars have lower gearing, so the advantage is very track dependent. But in PCA both cars are in GTC4. Now in IMSA Challenge they are in 2 different classes. Which is really fair? The 08-09 cars are not cheaters in PCA GTC4! And a newer 996 cup (04-05) also has more power than a 99-01 but they both run in GTC3 in PCA. Can you see what my point is? This is CLUB racing we are talking about!
If some one cheats and still feels like they accomplished something when they win - shame on them! But when you can out drive someone who is in a better car or someone who is cheating - good for you!
I know that in Terry's case he made some huge progress at the VIR weekend! He had a coach helping him and that made a huge difference! His speed came from improving his skill - not from cheating!
And one thing is for sure, 3G Motorsports surely did not tell Terry to do something to put him at an unfair advantage by doing something unethical! I know Greg and Jonathan very well - since they also do my support! They provide great support and know how to set up a car.
Unfortunately, I have heard talk in the paddock about some who intentionally do cheat. Maybe rumor, maybe true, but either way lets all be careful not to call someone a cheat - or even imply it - in a public forum. It stirs up WAY TOO MUCH drama! If you think someone is cheating and it bothers you that much talk to the scrutineers about it.

And yes, I am defending Terry because he is a friend - but all of what I said is true about him. AND I realize that Scott and Jeff are just messing around in what they said - so I am not challenging them on this. That is just funny stuff. Besides we all KNOW Scott must be cheating if he is in GTS2 in such a FAST and POWERFUL GIRLS car!

So, if I bring my 997 Cup to a NASA race and run in GTS5, will I be able to beat most everyone there? Maybe I should sign up......

Quick Reply: NASA at VIR 7/24-26