Sponsored by:

NASA at VIR 7/24-26

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mater
No I wasn't refering to your pass. I seen two guys racing for the same piece of road side by side. Both of you did a GOOD JOB not causing a incedent.If I was Derek I more than likely would have gave it up slightly earlier and may be doing a over under pass of sorts!!
Got ya...I watched his video and couldn't fine the incident you were referencing, so I assumed it was my pass.

I've tried the over/under in that corner...it can work. I was actually expecting Derek to make that move. My eyes got really big when I realized that neither of us were going to back down.

Originally Posted by mater
Looks like you guys have tons of fun! Even with the hand jesture in part 1
I can't stand it when other cars interject themselves into another class' race for no apparent reason. I regret making an **** of myself with the #1 salute in the heat of the moment, but I'm pretty sure this guy deserved it. If the orange Mustang had been racing with another car in his class, fine...but he was all alone (6-7+ seconds off the pace) and he almost caused me to lose touch with Derek (and a shot at 2 Hoosiers!). Not only that, but he seemed to throw a blocking move my way. Luckily, he had SO MUCH power that he was able to pass Derek again and hold him up just long enough for me to catch back up.

That's two races in a row now that I've won at the top of roller coaster...I'm starting to like that group of corners. Clay gave me a gift at the BMW CCA race in April, and Derek gave me everything I could handle this past weekend.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Bryan, I LOVE the barely audible, and I quote, "Whoo-hoo-hoo-hoo" once you get straightened out and figure out that you've made it out alive, unharmed and AHEAD of the Schwarz!!
I had the mic keyed on my radio at the time as well...may have blown out the speakers on the headset my dad was wearing.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, the 'ol "Bravo Condoms" Mustang packs one helluva punch! ...wow, to see him so slowed up out of Oak Tree and then just plain SMOKE you and Derek is impressive power indeed! I do feel the need to cite my vote towards Mr. Mustang being a TOOL.

I'll be sure to NOT use Bravo Condoms until Mr. Mustang redeems himself.

NO disrespect intended, but if HE reviewed the footage I'm certain he'd agree that he got in the way a bit much.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Apologies as well if my recount of the pass seems overly defensive. Like I said, Derek is one of the few guys that I would trust to race that hard with. Hopefully he feels the same way! I made that pass attempt only because of the previous 35 minutes of racing that I watched through my front windscreen or my rear mirrors.

Definitely looking forward to using this GTS4 tune more often. The 600 hp GTS5 guys are fun to beat, but it rarely results in anything resembling close racing for us. Either they blow us away on the straights and hold us up in the corners for the entire race, or we manage to sneak by, put a gap on them, and then just drive some boring laps until the checker.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I've been passed and beat there before. I bet Derek takes the outside line into the left hander if he's in a similar situation again...if not for my previous experience, my tendency would be to take the inside as well. Both of us seemed to think it was a hell of a race at the track and neither of us had any hard feelings over the pass.

All of that said, I'd go door-to-door with Derek any day. Easily one of the best racers I've raced with. No blocking, no weaving, no silly moves...just a damn good driver and someone you know you can trust to race close.

First and foremost, thank you Bryan for one of the best races to date and your kind words. Bottom line is Bryan and I went about as ***** out as we could go. Drivers will often develop comfort zones with one another as they become familar with their actions and skills. Although Bryan and I didn't have any real history racing together, the trust factor was acquired very quickly. I too was comfortable at the limit side by side with Bryan. The entry to the coaster could have ended up a mess, but the difference was that each of us were aware what was going on around us. Someone is going to win and someone is going to lose, but it is in our control and judgement to avoid contact at ALL costs. Winning one Hoosier instead of two Hoosiers and placing 2nd is better then replacing carbon fiber doors and fenders. Out of the two of us, I had the best chance of pulling the rip cord and turning off track to avoid contact, and that is what I did. If Bryan were in the same "opportunity to avoid contact" position even if it meant placing 2nd with only one Hoosier, he would have done the same... I am sure of this. That is what good, clean, club racing is all about.

As for Bryan's first paragraph quote above, yep, school was in session and I learned something very valuable from Bryan at VIR going into the roller coaster. My lane choice will be different next time.

Man, what a great race!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
MLIN
Instructor

what a race. thanks for posting. Enjoyed watching every min of it. Kudos for avoiding the contact at the end.

and congrats to Jeff C on your win.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Great vids!

Quick Reply: NASA at VIR 7/24-26