Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA at VIR 7/24-26

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GTS is basically running on the "honor system", which isn't really the best way to control cheaters. I'd like to think (and do think) all the guys I race with in Mid Atlantic are honest, but all it takes is one snake and the system has failed. The GTS3 class in MA has really become an awesome group this year with good numbers every weekend and very tight racing, so any small advantage will be very beneficial. Unfortunately, this close racing is what makes people think about trying to get an advantage somehow...usually cheating.
Says the BIGGEST cheater in the bunch!!

Just kidding bud...I agree with what Josh stated, it's a great bunch, it's VERY tight racing...it don't get any better than that!

OK, to clear up "Terry Gate 2009" - Terry has possibly mis-registered his car. This potential issue started when he showed up to race with SE @CMP, they suggested his "996" would run in GTS4...I don't believe they collected dyno sheets from anyone and I don't believe they were running a tight ship with regards to weighing GTS cars, most of that is speculation, from experience...not trying to point fingers or play the "blame game" here.

Terry does not house or maintain his car - the shop that does has arranged a dyno session and will provide a weight so we (Terry, the shop personnel and myself) will ensure that Terry is properly classified for the VIR race.

Terry has no intention to push the limits, "stretch" the rules, etc. he is just going off of what was suggested he run in when he ran with NASA SE earlier this year.

I think the GTS series has gotten a slightly bad rap with regards to scrutinization or lack thereof due to an issue between a few participants...I can neither confirm or deny my participation in said "skirmish"...but that's neither here nor there...I FULLY agree with ALL comments related to running an honest campaign in a CLUB RACING type scenario...there is very little that is more important to me in racing than doing just that.

Hope that made sense?

SO, in short - BRING IT, ya'all...let's have some high-speed fun!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Just to make this clear, my bitch is not with MA, but with the lack of any regulation in the SE. To be honest, it's a joke with respect to compliance. Is everyone cheating, no, most are racing clean but there are a few that are clearly pushing it past the limit.

I'm looking forward to VIR. What times will you guys be putting down? I need to know if I should install a 100 shot, hidden of course
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
What dyno? At VIR? It's the wrong kind.
I can't speak for NASA, but the dyno guys at VIR have worked out a correction factor to simulate the (DynoJet) numbers for 944 Cup......

Bill
Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Says the BIGGEST cheater in the bunch!!

Just kidding bud...I agree with what Josh stated, it's a great bunch, it's VERY tight racing...it don't get any better than that!

OK, to clear up "Terry Gate 2009" - Terry has possibly mis-registered his car. This potential issue started when he showed up to race with SE @CMP, they suggested his "996" would run in GTS4...I don't believe they collected dyno sheets from anyone and I don't believe they were running a tight ship with regards to weighing GTS cars, most of that is speculation, from experience...not trying to point fingers or play the "blame game" here.

Terry does not house or maintain his car - the shop that does has arranged a dyno session and will provide a weight so we (Terry, the shop personnel and myself) will ensure that Terry is properly classified for the VIR race.

Terry has no intention to push the limits, "stretch" the rules, etc. he is just going off of what was suggested he run in when he ran with NASA SE earlier this year.

I think the GTS series has gotten a slightly bad rap with regards to scrutinization or lack thereof due to an issue between a few participants...I can neither confirm or deny my participation in said "skirmish"...but that's neither here nor there...I FULLY agree with ALL comments related to running an honest campaign in a CLUB RACING type scenario...there is very little that is more important to me in racing than doing just that.

Hope that made sense?

SO, in short - BRING IT, ya'all...let's have some high-speed fun!
You are right..let me please clear the air. In fact, I talked with Terry today. The people who maintain his car are the ones that suggested he run in GTS4. Terry is just going with the flow. There are other cars that also in GTS4 and GTS3 that have dynos that misrepresent true figures. I just don't want to protest because I've become friends with most everyone out there. So, I think I'll give ST2 a try. Hopefully the cars are more "in line" with the power/weight ratios. Plus, wow!...8 cars so far! It will be fun. I'm in!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
mater
Instructor

What class would a 996 gt3 cup be in ST1orST2
Old 07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by comatb
I can't speak for NASA, but the dyno guys at VIR have worked out a correction factor to simulate the (DynoJet) numbers for 944 Cup......

Bill
Ian is looking for this type of data, who should he contact?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mater
You going to come play and bring the big gun with you?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Ian is looking for this type of data, who should he contact?
At VIR the people to talk is Victor Seaber I believe.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
So, I think I'll give ST2 a try. Hopefully the cars are more "in line" with the power/weight ratios.
Rog.. don't cut yourself short GTS1 would be more your style.....

paging Hardee...come in Cosmo....over...
Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Def a ST1 car and would do well from what I've seen.
Originally Posted by TedA
Rog.. don't cut yourself short GTS1 would be more your style.....

paging Hardee...come in Cosmo....over...
Your right Ted! Add 50, maybe 60 pounds and I'm there!
You going next weekend?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
mater
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lemming
You going to come play and bring the big gun with you?
I'm thinking about it ,looks like it cup car will be in gts5 or ST1 not many cars in these classes ,BUT that should not be the determing factor I guess.>>>Good luck on friday Tim.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
..I can neither confirm or deny my participation in said "skirmish"...but that's neither here nor there...
BWAHAHAHAHAHA......
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I'm thinking about it ,looks like it cup car will be in gts5 or ST1 not many cars in these classes ,BUT that should not be the determing factor I guess.>>>Good luck on friday Tim.
Thanks.

You should absolutely come up, let me know if you are coming and I'll save you a spot.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Just to make this clear, my bitch is not with MA, but with the lack of any regulation in the SE. To be honest, it's a joke with respect to compliance. Is everyone cheating, no, most are racing clean but there are a few that are clearly pushing it past the limit.

I'm looking forward to VIR. What times will you guys be putting down? I need to know if I should install a 100 shot, hidden of course
Oh no worries, we all have things to gripe about, besides, my comments were basically supporting what you had already stated, SE can be a little diluted with regards to GTS compliance, but I have to say, it's pretty much NOT their fault. If they choose to not weigh/impound competitors, then that's their bad.

NOT trash-talking another region, I LOVE SE region, I LOVE ALL NASA regions, as a matter of fact.

I know that it's DIFFICULT to get a mobile dyno that's GTS compliant (Dynojet) at the track...and it's expensive. Year after year different regions make deals to get a dyno operator/owner to bring their rig to the track and so far Mid-Atlantic's arrangement with Valley Dyno Service has panned out for Summit Point events, but we only have the VIPER dyno available at VIR...and so far, it's not worked out to simulate Dynojet #S - and that sucks, I would LOVE to be able to have a valid dyno setup for VIR events.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

So, I think I'll give ST2 a try. Hopefully the cars are more "in line" with the power/weight ratios. Plus, wow!...8 cars so far! It will be fun. I'm in!
WOW, it would be great to see your car in GTS, rather than run in another series...GTS needs the support in GTS4 and above, would like to "UP" those participant #s a bit.

The reason Terry ran in GTS4 may have been by suggestion of the guys that work on it, but it is the region's fault that they apparently did not ask for a dyno sheet and/or weight of the vehicle.

Rest assured, that will NOT happen at the MA VIR event.

It is likely that Terry's car will fit into GTS5, and your car is certainly a GTS4 car, and will fit in nicely with Bill Timmerman's 997S, Derek Schwarz's tricked-out early 911 platform and I believe Max Fischer will have his GTS4 BMW rocket there as well.

Judging by your times at the PCA Club Race, you'll be towards that top, if not ON top of the list for GTS4. ...just don't spin coming out of Oak Tree!

Quick Reply: NASA at VIR 7/24-26