Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
the problem is that Paolo's setup is completely f*cked. He needs to get it fixed asap. This car is not capable of winning anything with the current setup. It looks like it's going to roll over in corners. I followed him for many laps over the last two days at Thunderbolt. It's scary to watch. This is but one example. I kindly ask all from questioning his droving technique in the video - this car is messed up, trust me. That's Gary R in a very well setup car in front of him. Watch the behavior of Gary's car compared to Paolo's. Don't be distracted by the front right tire, watch the right rear and how much roll there is and then how it slams back to the ground when he turns back to the left.

http://www.vimeo.com/5556827

Wow....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Sean, great video again.

Were you and Gary going 10/10?

the problem is that Paolo's setup is completely f*cked. He needs to get it fixed asap. This car is not capable of winning anything with the current setup. It looks like it's going to roll over in corners. I followed him for many laps over the last two days at Thunderbolt. It's scary to watch. This is but one example. I kindly ask all from questioning his droving technique in the video - this car is messed up, trust me. That's Gary R in a very well setup car in front of him. Watch the behavior of Gary's car compared to Paolo's. Don't be distracted by the front right tire, watch the right rear and how much roll there is and then how it slams back to the ground when he turns back to the left.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Never really put a full 10/10 lap together, did find the limit on most of the turns though. This is a very interesting track for our cars. There are two extremely fast turns taken flat (T3, T14) and two that are close (T2, T4). Not sure of the gearing on several sections - Gary will look at data after the weekend. The octopus entry is very technical. I have video for you of full laps.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I wholly concur. I followed Paolo for a few laps and saw this every time he turned into the righthander in the Octopus. Actually, I'm quite impressed with his droving...that he could hold it all together with whatever is wrong with the suspension. Would be enlightening to learn what is broken.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

F'd up is an understatement! That is beyond a "bad set-up". It looks like something(s) is broken, or totally used up and needs to be replaced. If you can't get that fixed before the coaching session, cancel!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks Mike....

I will be running Thunderbolt tomorrow with Gary and Sean.....
Just trying to learn the track so I don't make you look bad during my session with David...
Paolo: send your car to DJ.... really.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The car will be dropped off to Dan Jacobs today on my way back home....

A big thanks to Sean and Gary for pointing out the problem..........

Hopefully with the right set up and coaching I can drove a little better.....
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
We are leaving here at lunchtime and he is following me to Daniel Jacobs LLC. Sean was good enough to forward the video link to Dan in an email and I left him a message. The video says it all, corner entry speed the same, line the same, and Sean and my car rotate and go through there flat. Watching Paolo go through there and the preceding turn that sets it up is wild. His right front wheel actually isn't even turning most of the time!!!! Dan will get to the bottom of it, set his car up correctly (front camber wasn't right either, tire outsides corded), and then the rest will be up to Paolo.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys run the chicane? If so, how did you like it?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car will be dropped off to Dan Jacobs today on my way back home....
Let us know what he finds (or changes).
Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TwentySix
Did you guys run the chicane? If so, how did you like it?
No chicane, track is quite fast!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well folks...... an update on the findings of the car (if anyone cares)

The existing suspension was very tired being over 15 years old and showed major signs of wear......

A whole new suspension is necessary with new torsion and sway bars, revalving the shocks, new rear wheel bearings, new cv boots, etc. etc.

Needless to say, I had to cancel with DM...........

On the brigth side, a 2% leakdown test showed signs of excellent engine health....

So......I guess the reason the car was not "podiuming" like it did 9 years ago is not entirely this driver's fault........

Thanks you for listening.... see most of you at T-bolt CR........
Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
FredC
Drifting

A whole new suspension is necessary with new torsion and sway bars, revalving the shocks, new rear wheel bearings, new cv boots, etc. etc.

Needless to say, I had to cancel with DM...........
Irony is cruel.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

16 years ago the car had the latest and greatest!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sport suspension lasted 5 years on my daily driver. Imagine a track suspension on a track car..... I don't know who is your mechanic but I would be a little frustrated that he never noticed anything wrong after all those inspection.

Quick Reply: I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........