Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   I signed up with a well known pro. coach........... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/511159-i-signed-up-with-a-well-known-pro-coach.html)

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 08:29 PM

I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........

for 1/2 day in August......for the first time ever......

The way I see it If he can't help me majorly improve my times and driving skills, I might as well hang it up.........

For those of you that have hired pro. coaches what should I expect?

Should I have my agenda with goals to work on, or does a coach usually have
a standardized way to evaluating the student's driving skills and build from there?

Thanks for any insights......

mglobe 07-07-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 6712352)

Mine usually throws up shortly after we finish a session.

mglobe 07-07-2009 08:49 PM

Seriously though I think there are multiple ways to approach it. You could go in and ask the coach to observe for a session, and then pick out what he feels you should be working on, you could try to evaluate where you think need the most work, and ask to work on that in particular, or you could mention what you feel needs work the most, have the coach observe, and then make a decision together. Personally, since this will be the first time you've worked with this coach, I'd be inclined to let him decide what is best for you to work on.

Gary R. 07-07-2009 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 6712352)
for 1/2 day in August......for the first time ever......

The way I see it If he can't help me majorly improve my times and driving skills, I might as well hang it up.........

Should I have my agenda with goals to work on, or does a coach usually have
a standardized way to evaluating the student's driving skills and build from there?

Thanks for any insights......

Ask the coach. Will he ride with you? You don't have data, does he know that? Is it a he?
:D

Wreck Me Otter 07-07-2009 09:19 PM

Ghettoracer?!

Circuit Motorsports 07-07-2009 09:23 PM

The good coaches will have a pre event form that will ask questions that should help formulate your plan for the half day, it will/should be the beginning of a dialog between the two of you to get the most out of the day.

paradisenb 07-07-2009 09:25 PM

Name please.

I would expect a pro coach to observe your driving prior to offering help. I guess your data for that track would be a good starting point unless, as Gary says, you don't have any.

Congrats. I hope you learn things that work on all tracks.

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 6712460)
Ask the coach. Will he ride with you? You don't have data, does he know that? Is it a he?
:D

OK, first of all I do have a Traqmate complete system with a chasecam set up,
(and an Aiptek HD camera as back up) I know it is not the fancy AIM system you so much "love", but.........:)

Second of all, I want him to drive my car with the DAS on to later analyze and compare to my data and also I want him to evaluate and criticize my car set-up........

Thirdly, I want him to ride with me and criticize my driving skills and make suggestions on how to correct my bad habits.....

In short, I am trying to maximize my session with a famous pro. coach......

Do you think that is too much to ask for a 1/2 day session?:corn:

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by paradisenb (Post 6712509)
Name please.

I would expect a pro coach to observe your driving prior to offering help. I guess your data for that track would be a good starting point unless, as Gary says, you don't have any.

Congrats. I hope you learn things that work on all tracks.

I will have data for that track before our session, and yes, I am hoping he will help me drive much better on any track.....

As far as who he is I don't know if I should advertise but...... let's just say he is a big fish in the racing community......:thumbup:

Bailey-86-MA 07-07-2009 09:37 PM

why would you not share his name? afraid he will pass secrets to others besides you :)

BostonDMD 07-07-2009 09:45 PM

The question is what to expect from a pro. coach, not to discuss his fame or abilities......;)

DanR 07-07-2009 09:49 PM

hey buddy, really interested to see how this goes and your feedback! PM me who it is ;)

Gary R. 07-07-2009 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 6712575)
The question is what to expect from a pro. coach, not to discuss his fame or abilities......;)

I know what I would expect from Danica, but that's about it....

Sean F 07-07-2009 09:51 PM

It's okay Paolo, you can let people know that I'll be helping you.

Gary R. 07-07-2009 09:52 PM

You? You will be busy going to welding classes!!