Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

If we use the length of time needed to move from DE to Racing and divide it by the average length of a Paolo initiated thread we get the key derivative we can use to define the day length of Pro Coaching needed for maximum benefit in minimum time.....
not sure what it is, but have been able to ascertain that it is not .5 day....

As always, just joking, dont overthink it, go have fun. You can always do more later.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 794 Posts

Hahaha! You said "derivative".

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

In all seriousness, Paolo, IMO a half day is not enough, for several reasons. That said, IMO run video in addition to data. Finally, I believe YOU should have a clear goal(s) for this session, and have the coach develop a specific agenda for each session you are on track, with easy to measure and realistically attainable goals for each session. And by clear goals, I don't mean simply lower lap times. that is IMO a cop out, because in a 1/2 day session, you will be attempting to boil the ocean.....and you won't succeed. Pick goals like "develop more comfort getting to power sooner" or "carry more entry speed & use less brake" or "I wear little girl panties in T1 and the Bus Stop" or "I need better race craft".

Just my 2 lire worth....
+1, no way to even begin communicating in a half day. You need two days minimum or you may as well burn the 1/2 day fee. If you want the coaching and improvement, you have to spend time with a coach. Otherwise you want a lesson.

Do you go for a half hour golf lesson expecting to shed 5 strokes?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
+1, no way to even begin communicating in a half day. You need two days minimum or you may as well burn the 1/2 day fee. If you want the coaching and improvement, you have to spend time with a coach. Otherwise you want a lesson.

Do you go for a half hour golf lesson expecting to shed 5 strokes?
I guess you could if your 30 over par.

BTW, Def have him drove your car and get data. A member of our club just started CR and was at the Glen in a 997 Cup. He was paddocked with TRG and was complaining the car had issues (running 2:05). Buckler gave the car to one of his drovers and he ran 1:56-57 range. ( I think the guys name was something like "Lally" ).
Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Like anything else in life......

Some people are quick learners, others take a lifetime to get it......
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

You should expect he will get you into the "barriers" quicker; it may not be that day but it will be soon after.

No, this is not a "put down or insult"; but you are in a hurry to get to the limit and often the limit is only discovered after you exceed it!

I discovered (but not for the reasons you might think) I was afraid to go where the coaches wanted to take me!

Festina lente!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nevermind.....

Last edited by kurt M; 07-09-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: see below.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^I believe that internal or personal "barriers" were what was meant....not the physical tire barriers.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM
mji911
Instructor

Paolo, Now that we have all given you advice on when ,where why and how you should plan your day with your driving coach, just go have fun.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Mike....

I will be running Thunderbolt tomorrow with Gary and Sean.....
Just trying to learn the track so I don't make you look bad during my session with David...
Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

It might be too late for this, but I wouldn't mess with the setup of your car unless you have sufficient time to get used to it. Ideally, you would do a T&T so that you could find out what setup is really faster for you.

With a half day session, the last thing you want is to f*ck up your setup, realize that it's f*cked up and then spend your money having a pro tell you that you should put it back to how you had it.

The simple fact is that Ron had this car running at a pace that would still win many races in F class, and unless somebody royally screwed it up, the car should still be capable of extremely quick lap times.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

the problem is that Paolo's setup is completely f*cked. He needs to get it fixed asap. This car is not capable of winning anything with the current setup. It looks like it's going to roll over in corners. I followed him for many laps over the last two days at Thunderbolt. It's scary to watch. This is but one example. I kindly ask all from questioning his droving technique in the video - this car is messed up, trust me. That's Gary R in a very well setup car in front of him. Watch the behavior of Gary's car compared to Paolo's. Don't be distracted by the front right tire, watch the right rear and how much roll there is and then how it slams back to the ground when he turns back to the left.

http://www.vimeo.com/5556827
Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 AM
smankow
Pro

broken sway bar???? how did it look on the left turns?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Buckler gave the car to one of his drovers and he ran 1:56-57 range. ( I think the guys name was something like "Lally" ).
Andy rocks da house
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
broken sway bar???? how did it look on the left turns?
It looks wrong on every turn, this is just an extreme example. You can see it in the turn before the sharp right as well. The car is just rolling.

I visually inspected both his sways and didn't see anything broken - although they are not great components. I have a feeling it's a combination of several things including suspension components and alignment. Hard to diagnose at the track.

Quick Reply: I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........