Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
mji911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paolo, make sure you get the car set up correctly before your session. The half day will be great start and give you enough to work on. don't expect result immediatly. It is a work in process. It took me almost a year to get rid of my bad habits and continuing to build on the development of good habits, muscle memory. Great move on your part being pro-active to improve. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll let us know how you do!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mji911
Paolo, make sure you get the car set up correctly before your session.
I disagree on this part. As SGM3 said, the coach might have suggestions as to set up changes that might compliment the changes he/she suggests to Paolo's driving.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Oh crap... you listened to Mike!!!!! Last time I did that my wife ended up in a jacuzzi smelling like Tequila!!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Seems to me one of the biggest subjective issues would be car setup. I would think that you will feel more comfortable with more understeer than him (as a generalisation). Still, he should be able to ascertain your standard and help develop the right setup for you I guess.
Sounds like a good thing and always nice to get some outside expert viewpoints and tuition.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

To me it would be a waste of time and money to show up with a car that is not at least decently neutrally set up, a proper platform for a pro to work with. Not sure Paolo's car is there yet. But I have to qualify my post...I am not writing from experience.

Paolo: 115 Hurley, Oxford CT asap.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I disagree on this part. As SGM3 said, the coach might have suggestions as to set up changes that might compliment the changes he/she suggests to Paolo's driving.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
The question is what to expect from a pro. coach, not to discuss his fame or abilities......
Why not just ask the Pro Coach you hired?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
To me it would be a waste of time and money to show up with a car that is not at least decently neutrally set up, a proper platform for a pro to work with. Not sure Paolo's car is there yet. But I have to qualify my post...I am not writing from experience.

Paolo: 115 Hurley, Oxford CT asap.

I think he should only bring the car as he normally races it, nothing more or less. Build from there. The car's EXISTING set up may be already affecting his driving, better or worse.

Kurt, agreed: this is the point I made on a previous page, I think.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I see what you mean. But if Paolo's existing set-up is really crap, then he won't get all he could get out of the pro coach. Won't they be spending too much time discussing set-up issues that should not have beenv part of the discussion in the first place? It is difficult for me to see it differently, but again, I have never really coached or ever been coached at all.

I think he should only bring the car as he normally races it, nothing more or less. Build from there. The car's EXISTING set up may be already affecting his driving, better or worse.

Kurt, agreed: this is the point I made on a previous page, I think.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed.

I went to co-drove a car at mid-ohio, when I got in it I found it understeered pretty badly. But the owner didn't think so, he had learned to drive around it. While he was very quick with it, it would be ultimately faster if he changed the setup and unlearned to bad habits he had been using to make the car turn. I'm no pro, but someone people get used to a certain feel and never make a change because thats all they know.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Agreed.

I went to co-drove a car at mid-ohio, when I got in it I found it understeered pretty badly. But the owner didn't think so, he had learned to drive around it. While he was very quick with it, it would be ultimately faster if he changed the setup and unlearned to bad habits he had been using to make the car turn. I'm no pro, but someone people get used to a certain feel and never make a change because thats all they know.

Yup, and then all their attempts at getting faster are ultimately prevented by a very handicapped set up that may not be apparent to the driver.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
121cup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are going to the kojote motorsport advanced driver event in august with 1/2 day coaching available. Also sounds like you dont want to ID the coach so I wont here.
I can, however, tell you that I have done it and you will not be dissapointed. In fact i am signed up with him for the July WGI event for a half day! You would need to spend a week straight in the car to learn what this guy knows.

Circuit is on the money, he will take as much time as possible to discuss your driving level, experience, what you want out of the day and pick very specific things to work on even before you go out on track. After a few laps with no teaching, you will come in and make sure the plan for the day matches what he thinks you need work on. Once you have this decided you go back out and focus again on one or two things with constructive instruction, come back in rinse/repeat. . .for 3.5 hours! He may also take the wheel for laps at a slower speeds for a personalized track lap with instruction specifically for your needs.

Depending on how quickly you master things, you can apply this process for as many focus areas as will fit in the 1/2 day. He will also be happy to talk about set up, engine etc since he really knows SO much. He is incredibly helpful and never rushes and always makes sure you understand what he is saying.
Ok - is this a good enough review?!

There is a reason he is a champion. . . enjoy!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 121cup
Sounds like you are going to the kojote motorsport advanced driver event in august with 1/2 day coaching available. Also sounds like you dont want to ID the coach so I wont here.
I can, however, tell you that I have done it and you will not be dissapointed. In fact i am signed up with him for the July WGI event for a half day! You would need to spend a week straight in the car to learn what this guy knows.

Circuit is on the money, he will take as much time as possible to discuss your driving level, experience, what you want out of the day and pick very specific things to work on even before you go out on track. After a few laps with no teaching, you will come in and make sure the plan for the day matches what he thinks you need work on. Once you have this decided you go back out and focus again on one or two things with constructive instruction, come back in rinse/repeat. . .for 3.5 hours! He may also take the wheel for laps at a slower speeds for a personalized track lap with instruction specifically for your needs.

Depending on how quickly you master things, you can apply this process for as many focus areas as will fit in the 1/2 day. He will also be happy to talk about set up, engine etc since he really knows SO much. He is incredibly helpful and never rushes and always makes sure you understand what he is saying.
Ok - is this a good enough review?!

There is a reason he is a champion. . . enjoy!

Yeah, it's not like it's not on their site. And yes, he will be worth it IMO.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Kojote = David Murray, no?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Your coach will do a great job. He is one of the best in the business and will definitely help you go faster. Remember to be a sponge while you are around him. If you remember half of what he talks about you will be 10x smarter on the track.

Back to the point of you guys talking about what to expect from hiring a driver coach for the weekend. I always talk to my clients before hand about what they are wanting to get out of me for the weekend. Their goals are always what is the most important. If they don't get out of it what they are expecting then it never works and they will not get faster. So I start off with sending them a questionnaire by email or discussing with them on the phone what they want to work. It is important that I find out what they consider their weaknesses/strong points and form my plan around that. Next is to let them know there is data available as I always use a Traqmate with my clients. I explain to them how this helps us out by me riding with them on the track, coaching them from the right seat, and then going over to the data to back up what we talked about on the track. After the weekend they always get a synopsis of the weekend. This is a sheet they can look back on to remember how we improved or points made while together to help them go faster when I am not around. All of this but mainly communication, IMHO, is what adds up to helping get the most out of the coaching experience.

As for the car setup on DMD's car I would suggest having a decent setup on it. This is not the most important thing for the track weekend but it will help to get the most out of it. With his day with the Pro being so short it is important that the coach is not distracted by mechanical problems or a difficult handling racecar. The easier to drive the better. If the car is such a handful that the driver is paying more attention to how to control the car than what the coach is saying during the ride then it is hard for the driver to learn. Make it as easy on yourself as you possibly can.

Remember it is all about having fun and learning. Keep it simple and you will come away amazed at how much you have improved in such a short period of time.

Quick Reply: I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........