Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Next is follow-up sessions and preferably at different tracks. Some days you will do better, some days you'll regress. If your coach is like mine, then (beyond the basic mechanics of driving) a lot of his work is going to be working on the mental side of things. Pushing you where you may be timid, and reigning you in where you may be running outta talent.
In my limited judgement, working with a coach is a process...perhaps spanning an entire season or more...not just a one or a 1/2 day event.
Originally Posted by SG_M3
In my experience we don't work so much on confidence or skill set. We more work on car setup and line changes.
As BobbyC states, I think gaining more confidence is one of the key elements to getting faster. A good coach will push you and help you do things that you didn’t think were possible.

Originally Posted by FredC
I see what you mean. But if Paolo's existing set-up is really crap, then he won't get all he could get out of the pro coach. Won't they be spending too much time discussing set-up issues that should not have beenv part of the discussion in the first place? It is difficult for me to see it differently, but again, I have never really coached or ever been coached at all.
Originally Posted by SG_M3
Agreed.
I went to co-drove a car at mid-ohio, when I got in it I found it understeered pretty badly. But the owner didn't think so, he had learned to drive around it. While he was very quick with it, it would be ultimately faster if he changed the setup and unlearned to bad habits he had been using to make the car turn. I'm no pro, but someone people get used to a certain feel and never make a change because thats all they know.
As has already been stated, getting help from a coach is a work-in-progress. At our levels, many of us may be tracking a less-than-ideal car. Although having a perfectly set-up car that is ready for a coach to do his magic is the desired scenario, if your car is not set up by someone who is good at reading a car and making changes, then a coach can help put you in the right direction. It is part of the inevitable process to, hopefully, getting faster. I agree that it is not 100% ideal, but it is a start.

I’m going to sound like a broken record to many here, but this is exactly what Chris Cervelli did for a few of us here a couple of years ago. He drove my car and made some very worthwhile suggestions to the car’s chassis and remote reservoir system that made a big difference in my confidence in the car, as well as confidence in myself. Additionally, he taught a few key driving approaches that, along with the chassis help, transformed the way I drove the car, resulting in lower lap times. All of this occurred over a day and a half for me, so I really tried to make the most of my distilled experience.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
As for the car setup on DMD's car I would suggest having a decent setup on it. This is not the most important thing for the track weekend but it will help to get the most out of it. With his day with the Pro being so short it is important that the coach is not distracted by mechanical problems or a difficult handling racecar. The easier to drive the better. If the car is such a handful that the driver is paying more attention to how to control the car than what the coach is saying during the ride then it is hard for the driver to learn. Make it as easy on yourself as you possibly can.

Absolutely. Nothing worse than wasting money on a coach for him/her to tell you that your car needs more camber, that it understeers too much, when you already know it... Especially not when considering who you chose to coach you. This guy has a lot more to offer than advice about obvious car set up issues. PAOLO: send your car to DJ before putting money towards coaching.... I think it is fair to say that he knows how to read the 78-89 platform (all 911 platforms for that matter).
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I can see Seth's and Fred's point. However, the only concern I have with this, for only a 1/2 day session, is this: if getting a different set up right before the coaching changes the car a bunch, Paolo (or anyone) will spend more time & brain power learning how the car now drives than he should, and that 1/2 day of coaching will be somewhat less valuable, irrespective of what the coach says.

Like Seth, I "interview" the client first, establish clear, atttainable goals, and then recap how we have or have not done against those metrics throughout the day(s) as well as at the end.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I can see Seth's and Fred's point. However, the only concern I have with this, for only a 1/2 day session, is this: if getting a different set up right before the coaching changes the car a bunch, Paolo (or anyone) will spend more time & brain power learning how the car now drives than he should, and that 1/2 day of coaching will be somewhat less valuable, irrespective of what the coach says.
This is why I stated on mine was to have a decent setup car. I am not saying make drastic changes to the car so the driver has to relearn how to drive it. The car also doesn't have to be perfectly setup either. It needs to be setup the way you think is easy to drive. This will take your mind off what the car is doing and more on the coaching. Keep it simple.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Then we are all saying the same thing. It is just that i believe that Paolo's car may not be set-up at an acceptable level today.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paolo - Half a day is a rather short time to accomplish the agenda you posted. Suggest you keep a very open mind and reasonable expectations. From the start on RL you have shown a lack of patience, remember the how long to go from Green to Black thread you initiated? IMO the goals you've established for a half day session are rather ambitious. You will benefit from the coaching, no doubt. Just relax and learn. Forget preconceived notions of what you define as "success" for your 3 hours or so.

For the others, unless something has changed, Paolo's car belonged to Ron Savenor - and he was a consistent winner with it. I know that Paolo switched to street tires (a good idea) when he began driving it. I don't know if the setup was changed but as delivered the car was well sorted.

Best,
Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Coaching is not about how the car is set up/it's how your brain and driving are set up
Old 07-08-2009, 01:08 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Kojote = David Murray, no?

Make sure they throw in a t-shirt that states

" I am a Proffesional"
(coached student)

BTW Paolo, I cannot do the PCA CR, but will likely make the NASA T-bolt event. Track race budget this year is only 2 races following major car expenses.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I am really looking forward to my session with David.......

I appreciate your help and I will keep you posted how it turns out........
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had a few 1/2 hour sessions with David. He's excellent. Let him drive your car first with you as an observant passenger. He will show you quite quickly what your car is capable of doing, and while he is driving he will explain to you what he is doing, his thought process, and the line he is driving. You will be amazed at how quickly he learns the car and how deeply he brakes into the apexes not to mention his smoothness.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...

I would love to have the benefit of his coaching, but I only "know him" from some minor personal contact. He is one of the most gracious people you will ever meet, and I know he will set you up for a completely successful experience. Hopefully, that will mean keeping it very simple.

You are pretty new to this driving thing, and so I am going to assume that he will concentrate on some very basic mechanical improvements to your underlying driving style. This alone will take a huge effort for you to assimilate. Make sure you try and understand the fundamental aspects of the changes that he makes for you. Do not be suprised if a day later you struggle mightily to replicate what you have learned, and so to this end try and keep it simple and get as much information that is clear and repeatable as you can.

And have fun!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Bailey-86-MA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paulo - this thread has me thinking of doing the same and working with David at the end of the month for a 1/2 day at WGI. I think I would approach it as follows. I have my car, I will talk to him about my experience and goals, he will likely observe my driving, and I will let him determine the best use of my time with him. I would guess that with his driving record as well as teaching experience, he will know best how I might get the most out of our time together.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
It needs to be setup the way you think is easy to drive. This will take your mind off what the car is doing and more on the coaching. Keep it simple.
Yup. We are (as usual) on the same page here.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
He is one of the most gracious people you will ever meet, and I know he will set you up for a completely successful experience. Hopefully, that will mean keeping it very simple.

+1

Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If only a 1/2 day....
1st thing I would have him drive my car by himself....get some good data with a pro driving and let him get a little used to the car.
2nd, get in the car with him driving. You can learn a tremendous amount by watching what he does and feeling what your car can do. You will think, "man I didn't know my car could do that!"
3rd, drive the car by yourself. Look at data and he will show you where you can improve.
4th, drive with the coach in the passenger seat to make in-car suggestions. Make sure you have a communications device such as a chatter box. Don't automatically assume he will have one.
Just my opinion, but I think the best way to maximize a short period of time.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: I signed up with a well known pro. coach...........