Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

There's always Nasa. I got a ride along in a very quick 996 last weekend in the instructor group with Nasa. Pass anywhere with a point. Nasa is a fun outfit too. You also get more opportunity to run with other makes.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamWheels
just go racing
/Thread
Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear that Tom. PM sent.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom, that truly sucks! I have to say that your car is an inspiration to a lot of us.
It sounds like you need to change clubs. I would personally invite the CTI out for some beers, and then proceed to beat the living daylights out of him, just to set an example. But that's just me.

Yeah....or he could just pony up the benjamins and have the guy capped...
I love VR's suggestion too, but there's something to be said for doing your own dirty deeds! It's also a LOT more satisfying!!!
Good luck!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
gmike
1st Gear

Default Support for CTI

As a former CTI in this Region, I am familiar with the circumstances regarding this post and I support the CTI.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
sorry so long I would like advise if this was one of you guys

do I not ever go to a PCA event to teach again. would you even want to drive with a group that several guys have an out for you? have you had another instructor complain to the CTI instead of man to man discussion??

what say you?
Well... If I were me. I would not drive or instruct at another PCA event while this guy is in charge. Seems like you can get all the track time you need elsewhere so why bother with this. You race and instruct for fun. Fun is begging to be let back in and saying you will play nice. Fun is not worry if some nit-picky non-racer is going to get his panties in wad with you driving 8/10th around the track.

You don't need it... I would not... So stay in PCA for the other activities and stay friends with others in the region. When asked "where are you, we have not seen you in while". Just tell them DE is was not fun anymore as you spend more time racing. If the care you can go deeper. If not let it go.

I will say this as racer of 7 years now I have not been doing PCA DE's lately. For me it is not about an issues with the people, but time. I have limited time I can get on track and perfer to use that time for races vs DE day. Plus a DE day is just that and I know if I don't play nice I could get yelled at. Not sure if I really even want to deal with it anymore.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

... but really kinda felt like the soup **** told me I couldnt instruct anymore and was really disappointed about that

Look Tom,
I would have no issue at all racing with you. Of course the only racing we would be doing together would be you lapping me (unless you get in slow car), but I would not be concerned at all. In racing things happen and if you learn from them you are better race. Now as hard as it don't allow this "being tossed" from DE get you down. You competance as an instructor and racer is no measured by this one guy.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

between chin's almost open passing for advanced solo/instructor, PBOC's supersolo, and NASA's group 4 I really don't see why PCA is even a desired club anymore. I got my start in PCA as well and still like to attend events occasionally, but I have to admit that they are out of touch with the times and have become much less fun than the other clubs.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Every student eval on me has been glowing.
I've felt for quite awhile that instructors should receive more feedback from students. Most clubs ask students to fill out forms evaluating their instructor, but I don't know of any club that has a system in place to formally share that information with the instructor. Does Suncoast?

I'm curious how you have gotten this feedback.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Tom, probably more fun to drive with PBOC, Goldcoast region or other DE and of cource racing..

Why drive around at 7/10th with a target on your back??
Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Since the new elderly CTI took over ...

Apparently you feel the age of the CTI is relevant. May I ask why?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Apparently you feel the age of the CTI is relevant. May I ask why?
I don't see how that's relevant either and I'm not nearly as old as you.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, maybe being given the opportunity to not instruct is a blessing in disguise. To be honest, I know many racers that would accept that offer in a heartbeat because new car have gotten a LOT faster and the safety equipment isn't usually there on a new student's car. Instructing has become a lot more frightening.

Second, you might want to reexamine what it is that you are trying to accomplish at a DE. Personally, I know that if I have a choice between doing a race or doing a DE, I'm going to choose the race every time. Given that, there are only a few dates left where I can do a DE and not have it interfere with my race schedule.

Here's a short list of reasons that I would think most racers would do a DE.
1) Shake the rust off (first event of a season)
2) Learn a new track (usually done the day before the race at the track)
3) Test and Tune (i.e., either made changes to the car and want to test before a race or want to test different suspension settings)
4) Work on "advanced" techniques (i.e, taking turns off line or practicing getting runs on faster cars so that you can pass them with superior momentum as opposed to superior HP)
5) Social (buddies are going to the same event)

I think it's really easy for a racer to show up at a DE, drive 8/10's, and scare the beejeezers out of the DE crowd if they aren't careful. When you come up on traffic, you need to make sure to remind yourself why you are at the event, keep your distance, and wait patiently for the pass signal. If this becomes too boring, then you have found out that DEs are no longer for you.

Now maybe none of the above applies to you, so feel free to ignore it.

Last edited by Brian P; 06-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian P
I think it's really easy for a racer to show up at a DE, drive 8/10's, and scare the beejeezers out of the DE crowd if they aren't careful.
Pffffft...

You "racers" (not you specifically, Brian) can be the biggest bunch of self-inflated blow bags I've ever seen. As if "racing" were the only place to be and anyone who doesn't "race" is a hopeless, clueless doof not worthy of your interest. I'm pretty sure I witnessed the results of enough hopeless, clueless driving at The Clash to prove my point comfortably.

If a racer were to find himself in the situation Brian suggests, then it is almost certain that HE ALONE did something wrong by not following the spirit and rules of DE. If the "racer" is indeed so highly skilled as you all seem to think you are, then it should be even eaiser for him to control himself appropriately. The only time I have been surprised in my many years is when someone did something "wrong," i.e. not staying in place in line (dissappearing way off line), passing wthout a signal in a train of cars, etc. There certainly are people in advanced run groups that might not be as aware as they could be, but that should NEVER be a problem if the rules are followed.

There are probably a whole bunch of you "racers" that "could not cut it" in DE, and have found a better place for yourselves. I'd wager that in many cases both you and DE are the better for it. I'm not so sure if that goes for "racing" as well, though.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Quick Reply: My PCA region threw me out!! ADVISE PLEASE!