Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
i gave him the set of 18's. i have another set of 17's. unfortunately 171 was faster. big mistake.
it's ok. he knows we charge $100/tire to haul those up for him. we'll be rich soon.

Originally Posted by karlooz
another GT3?!? i was just talking about my stripped down cheap *** 996 carrera.
sorry, i get confused. freudian slip you know.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Yes it was kip driving.

I know and race with Andre quite a few times. He is good. we had some good battles together. He is as good as most of the the top drivers we run with. He in NO way would be any faster than Kip. Kip is VERY VERY good. One of the faster drivers out there. You dont run 1:29 at laguna on 225 front tires unless you have exceptional skills.
Andre doesnt have a lot of experience with the huge hp cars. There is a learning curve for those kind of cars as well.

Put it this way, Andre and Christian ran in WC in cars MUCH more set up and more powerful than mine. I was only 1 second behind christian, who was ahead of andre, and in a car that was 330whp and under 2600lbs vs my 310rwhp and 3000lbs . There are a lot of fast drivers out there. The main difference is how they work through traffic and keep the car safe.
i dont know about WC and why andre was slow.
but you ask kip if he's faster or andre is faster ;-)
i think kip would tell you andre is faster than he is.
btw, andre has a lot of nsx experience. he was one of the early adaptors of nsx. he only moved to low hp honda/acura after the nsx thing. he probably have had 3-4 nsx
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

That thing was fast for only 280 at the wheels! How light was it? I know your interior was missing with no passenger seat and some other mods. Didnt you end up just behind me in the race. what kind of mods?

mk
the black GT3 behind you is 171mph's car
karlooz was the other 996 with cup car wing farther behind. he was too "BUSY" the night before in the hotel, so not as fast during qualifying.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Like I said, ive raced a few bumper to bumper races with Andre.
Kip has a lot of NSX experience two running 3 of the 500+ hp versions to near record times at laguna and buttonwillow, against the one of the best out there recently, Billy Johnson, (the current record holder at willow springs). he was only a few tenths behind billy at the TimeAttack a couple of years ago. Both are probably very quick. Billy now has more wheel to wheel experience in racing, even thought Kip after this season will have more races under his belt, Billy has been battling through more traffic in GrandAm, etc.

Kip is very modest, but he is very fast, especially alone on the track by himself.
Again, there are not seconds between most good drivers. (ie a good club guy and a top pro) Just look at the GT3 at laguna driven by Max Angelelli? 1:39 for a stock one. you said guys are running that now! Another example is Pobst vs the owner of the Kent Jordan Evo a couple of seasons ago. both were in the 1:34.xx range. Pobst would kill Kent in traffic and was much more constistant, but the raw lap times were only within a second of each other. And Kent was a very new racer with only 2 seasons of racing under his belt.

To also put Kip and Andre in perspective, kip right now can win speedGT in that car. Im sure they will restrict the cars hp if he runs in WC, but at the most that will take only 1-2 seconds off his time. It still will be a top 10 car no problem. You are saying andre could then win speed GT with a a restricted and heavier version of Kips NSX. (i.e. if kip runs 1:33, andre will run 1:30.)
That is VERY unlikely and just plain not possible) Again, there just is not that much difference between good drivers in the same car.

Ill ask both Kip and Andre and see what they say

mk

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know about WC and why andre was slow.
but you ask kip if he's faster or andre is faster ;-)
i think kip would tell you andre is faster than he is.
btw, andre has a lot of nsx experience. he was one of the early adaptors of nsx. he only moved to low hp honda/acura after the nsx thing. he probably have had 3-4 nsx
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

wheeew, I was about to set my car on fire , or find the boat anchor, if i was barely pulling on what I thought was his car, down the main straight with 80 more HP. . That makes sense. the two cars following were the two GT3s and the "other" black one was the 996 gutted racer. great group. I still recall having a blast that day. Cant wait to do it again.

by the way, what are the 996 gt3s dynoing at these days. are they still near the cup car HP of near 330rwhp? (I think a lot of the '01-02 GT3 cup cars were in the 330 to 340rwhp range) Or do you guys not bother with the dyno stuff?

mk

the black GT3 behind you is 171mph's car
karlooz was the other 996 with cup car wing farther behind. he was too "BUSY" the night before in the hotel, so not as fast during qualifying.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i dyno'd my car last summer since i was going to do NASA TT. it was 355 rwhp. it had about 24k miles. porsche severely undercuts the 996gt3 hp (listed at 380 crank).

But they are heavy cars... last time i had mine cornerweighted it was ~3200 lbs with .25 tank. that's with light gt3 seats and a rollbar.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL, no need to burn up the red 928 race car.

HOWEVER, karlooz's car is now even lighter and last time 171mph and karlooz were racing at TH, 171mph's GT3 was NOT pulling on the old 996c2 on the straights!.... i was astounded and dumped my GT3.

wheeew, I was about to set my car on fire , or find the boat anchor, if i was barely pulling on what I thought was his car, down the main straight with 80 more HP. . That makes sense. the two cars following were the two GT3s and the "other" black one was the 996 gutted racer. great group. I still recall having a blast that day. Cant wait to do it again.

by the way, what are the 996 gt3s dynoing at these days. are they still near the cup car HP of near 330rwhp? (I think a lot of the '01-02 GT3 cup cars were in the 330 to 340rwhp range) Or do you guys not bother with the dyno stuff?

mk
Old 07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice to see folks had fun at Laguna at the SCCA event... an interesting array of Porsches were apparently in attendance. I am curious about the FIA cage used in the subject car, any details?

Looking ahead on the calendar, there are some interesting Porsche track driving/racing opportunities in August her in NorCal... PCA event at Thunderhill, Historics at Laguna (with a DE on the subsequent Monday), PRC at Thunderhill, and of course the unlimited sound event at Laguna the weekend after labor day.

Would be interesting to see how competitive some of those p-cars that ran this event would be in the PRC events...

- Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 05:15 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Nice to see folks had fun at Laguna at the SCCA event... an interesting array of Porsches were apparently in attendance. I am curious about the FIA cage used in the subject car, any details?

Looking ahead on the calendar, there are some interesting Porsche track driving/racing opportunities in August her in NorCal... PCA event at Thunderhill, Historics at Laguna (with a DE on the subsequent Monday), PRC at Thunderhill, and of course the unlimited sound event at Laguna the weekend after labor day.

Would be interesting to see how competitive some of those p-cars that ran this event would be in the PRC events...

- Mike
Who's running the unlimited sound event?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The P cars in that event were the same you would see at any PRC event now.
all cup cars from 2001 to 2009. All very very fast. I think all 19 cars were under 1:35 with the best in the 1:30-31s

- Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

No, not really-- most of our GT grid are not factory cars. We see very few factory cars these days. We had just two at Sears Point last weekend-- both drivers have raced with us many times, and both have multiple cars they use at PRC events. A few additional fellows from SoCal join us with factory cars for about 3 events a year ... Our 911 "Spec" class has a bunch of entrants each event, and I think a few of them will run occasionally with SCCA.

I expect a great number of our GT cars would lap LS under 1:35 with unlimited sound...

You can do a search on this forum to learn about the unlimited sound September event at Laguna Seca... or check out the Club Auto Sport web site.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I remember a few PRC races where a few of the cup cars were showing up, certainly there were none of the color of older, creative rebuilds that PRC has been known for. Masuro, Stefanowitz, and a few others were pretty darn fast. In fact, I bet a few of them were the cars that were there the last time we all were out there at laguna with no sound restrictions. I was actually surprised that all the cup cars were so close in time. It seems that everyone is fast now!

The NW porsche guys will be coming down for the double regional Laguna event with SCCA in late September as well. I think its the following weekend actually. Ill be there giving rides in my race car for the Club Auto Sport folks.
Dont know if Ill be racing, so we will see. Should be a great event

mk

No, not really-- most of our GT grid are not factory cars. We see very few factory cars these days. We had just two at Sears Point last weekend-- both drivers have raced with us many times, and both have multiple cars they use at PRC events. A few additional fellows from SoCal join us with factory cars for about 3 events a year ... Our 911 "Spec" class has a bunch of entrants each event, and I think a few of them will run occasionally with SCCA.

I expect a great number of our GT cars would lap LS under 1:35 with unlimited sound...

You can do a search on this forum to learn about the unlimited sound September event at Laguna Seca... or check out the Club Auto Sport web site.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hi Mooty,

Watch this video and let me know if you still think that Andre would be faster by 2-3 seconds "easy" in this beast.

The NSX running 1:30s at laguna on 225 sized front DOT tires.

http://www.gofastvideo.com/video/192...nal-Race-6-ITE

so 129 and 130 was with kip driving?
dont know if you know andre hartanto. if you put him in kip's car, he's at least 2-3 seconds faster easy. that's scary!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Andrie Hartanto
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was kip driving.

I know and race with Andre quite a few times. He is good. we had some good battles together. He is as good as most of the the top drivers we run with. He in NO way would be any faster than Kip. Kip is VERY VERY good. One of the faster drivers out there. You dont run 1:29 at laguna on 225 front tires unless you have exceptional skills.
Andre doesnt have a lot of experience with the huge hp cars. There is a learning curve for those kind of cars as well.

Put it this way, Andre and Christian ran in WC in cars MUCH more set up and more powerful than mine. I was only 1 second behind christian, who was ahead of andre, and in a car that was 330whp and under 2600lbs vs my 310rwhp and 3000lbs . There are a lot of fast drivers out there. The main difference is how they work through traffic and keep the car safe.
Hey Mark,

Kip and John Hua are good friend of mine.
I'm flattered that John think I'm that fast Maybe a few years ago I was that much faster than Kip. I remember giving Kip his first ride in an NSX at thunderhill. I think that's what got him hooked.

Kip had developed to be a really good driver. Rarely make mistakes. As far as who's faster, I think I can hold my own and willing to give it a shot any day.

My last race at Laguna was in 2007 with the World Challenge guys. Haven't been to Laguna ever since. The results are still up here:
http://www.world-challenge.com/event...lts.php?ID=557

At that time, I was faster than Christian. Some other times Christian was faster than me. Christian is also a really good driver and currently gunning for the top honors in Koni Challenge.

As far as my civic, it was a Honda Challenge car. Regularly run with a 210whp and at 2555 min weight. No change in suspension pick up points. For World Challenge I just swap the engine and put some ballast, making 240whp and weight at 2650 lbs. It was a fast car but I sold it beginning of 2008.

This year, I'm still developing new to me 2006 Acura TSX. Hopefully I will join the World Challenge circus again when they come to Laguna. However, I don't expect to be able to run even within a second with the front runners. They are fast drivers, and some of them are my idols. I'm happy to be able to race and rub shoulders with them during drivers meeting.

I'm flattered that my name are even in discussion here

Shameless plug:
For those that would like to follow my racing, please visit my website at www.prima-racing.com
We also always seeking for sponsors
Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The man, the myth the legend!

How the heck are you!

Thanks for posting some level setting here. I think its clear your talents are well respected. Kip is REAL fast now, and his car is an absolute beast. The only thing that he might lack now, is real wheel to wheel battling. Its the problem when you build a WC GT car and run it in a field with guys like me with half the HP.

Sounds like you are doing well with the Touring car series. Keep up the good work. Come out and play with us again in ITE. It was good to have you out there!

Now, as far as you WC car. You mean to tell me you were running with me and then with Christian with only 240rwhp? Do you know Christian told me is VW turbo was over 320rwhp and I think his weight was at least in the 2800lb range.
I remember how close you were to Christian in that WC Laguna race.
Hey, dont worry about the WC touring guys. There is no one left except Seth, Clay with Bmerworld, the Real time guys, and a couple of mazda 6s. I think if you show up, you ca have 7th or better locked up.
Hey, dont sell yourself short. You can hang wth the best of them . After all, most came from where we all come from.
I remember running with Richmond when he was still tooling around in a BMW street car, Brandon, Nick, Prall, and a few others all have been out with us in ITE.

When you come to monterey, let me know if you need a hand at Laguna. Ill be going there to dig for tires.

Lets run again with SCCA ITE before the laguna WC race. This time I promise not to pass you under yellow!

Mark

Originally Posted by Andrie Hartanto
Hey Mark,

Kip and John Hua are good friend of mine.
I'm flattered that John think I'm that fast Maybe a few years ago I was that much faster than Kip. I remember giving Kip his first ride in an NSX at thunderhill. I think that's what got him hooked.

Kip had developed to be a really good driver. Rarely make mistakes. As far as who's faster, I think I can hold my own and willing to give it a shot any day.

My last race at Laguna was in 2007 with the World Challenge guys. Haven't been to Laguna ever since. The results are still up here:
http://www.world-challenge.com/event...lts.php?ID=557

At that time, I was faster than Christian. Some other times Christian was faster than me. Christian is also a really good driver and currently gunning for the top honors in Koni Challenge.

As far as my civic, it was a Honda Challenge car. Regularly run with a 210whp and at 2555 min weight. No change in suspension pick up points. For World Challenge I just swap the engine and put some ballast, making 240whp and weight at 2650 lbs. It was a fast car but I sold it beginning of 2008.

This year, I'm still developing new to me 2006 Acura TSX. Hopefully I will join the World Challenge circus again when they come to Laguna. However, I don't expect to be able to run even within a second with the front runners. They are fast drivers, and some of them are my idols. I'm happy to be able to race and rub shoulders with them during drivers meeting.

I'm flattered that my name are even in discussion here

Shameless plug:
For those that would like to follow my racing, please visit my website at www.prima-racing.com
We also always seeking for sponsors

Last edited by mark kibort; 07-10-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?