Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?

I saw a pretty cool car in our races this weekend. It was a GT3RS that was converted to cup car specs. My only question is why? also, how it can run in a cup car racing series (Pirelli cup GT3 drivers cup)and be a conversion?

It was pretty quick and got quicker over the weekend. I have some video of it in our race Ill post.

wouldnt it just be better to just buy a cup car?

what is the HP of the GT3RS vs the cup car or GT3 street? Major differences?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone hit the slippery slope, really bad?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes it's a whole lot cheaper to buy a factory cup car and a much better investment. There is a GT3RS converted to a race car on this or the cupcar forum that is worth under half of the build cost

But once you get started, it's a slippery and fun slope!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its is cheaper to buy a cup car from the start. only possible reason i've heard for conversions like this one is the fact that you dont have to worry about hrs on the engine like you do with a cup car
Old 06-22-2009, 03:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is the car.

RSR street car to race car conversion.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Assuming it's no longer Road Registered? Looks great if nothing else. So was he slower or faster than you Mark?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if he still has the syncromesh transmission and ABS? That might make it better in some ways than a 997 Cup.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He couldn't be very serious - doesn't even have a cup car wing
Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I wonder how much of the car he actually changed. People say they have a "cup car" but the actual changes required are HUGE as Larry points out above.

I am far from a "cup car" conversion and surpassed the cost of a cup car long ago.....don't ask me why....I don't know
Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

He turned out to be a little faster. In the first race, I held him off and the other cup car until my gear shifter broke in half. ( I had to finish the race in just 3rd gear) Before that, He was filling my mirrors toward the end of the last half of the race. later, he turned about 1/2 second a lap faster. Turns out him and the Trefethen sponsored cup car were running faster laps. In the next race, they both were about 1-2seconds faster a lap.

I went to go meet him, but he wasnt there. I didnt check out the car. at the time, I thought it was a cup car with a funny wing.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Assuming it's no longer Road Registered? Looks great if nothing else. So was he slower or faster than you Mark?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

He is serious, cup car wing or not. . I think he is waiting for his new "real" cup car to show up.

I wonder what he will do with this rig when that happens?
Originally Posted by lawjdc
Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is the RS and the cup car.
Good while it lasted!
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I know the car. It is local to me. I race with them a lot. The car still has full interior, etc. I believe that particular car belongs to a guy named Brad Larson. He has been racing for about 2 years and started doing track days with that car. There isn't anything done to the car that isn't pretty easily reversible. It has a nice FIA approved bolt in cage, aftermarket shocks, etc. I think he is planning to buy a cup car when they go to the 998s in a couple of years.

There are about 5 of those cars that were built by a shop in Phoenix called Race Technik. They are not cup car conversions, but something sort of in between. They are fairly quick but much heavier than a cup car (500lbs or so), also they still have the street car gearbox ratios. At PIR they are about 5 seconds a lap slower than a very well driven 996 cup. Maybe quicker than that now because I know they recently did some mods to the suspension and started running slicks.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yep, that shounds about right. top cup cars were in the 1:32 to 1:33s he was in the 1:36 range and on slicks. They were a guest group with with us and we are all on DOTs. We were close to the same acceleration, but he still stuck in the turns and stopped much better. It sure acted alot like one of the cup cars he was racing with. Ill post a video of the race tomorrow so you can see it on track.

Race 1 I was leading until my gear shifter broke in half, race 2 I followed him for a while until my brakes blew a line. (no front brakes)

it was real nice looking!

mk

Originally Posted by claykos
I know the car. It is local to me. I race with them a lot. The car still has full interior, etc. I believe that particular car belongs to a guy named Brad Larson. He has been racing for about 2 years and started doing track days with that car. There isn't anything done to the car that isn't pretty easily reversible. It has a nice FIA approved bolt in cage, aftermarket shocks, etc. I think he is planning to buy a cup car when they go to the 998s in a couple of years.

There are about 5 of those cars that were built by a shop in Phoenix called Race Technik. They are not cup car conversions, but something sort of in between. They are fairly quick but much heavier than a cup car (500lbs or so), also they still have the street car gearbox ratios. At PIR they are about 5 seconds a lap slower than a very well driven 996 cup. Maybe quicker than that now because I know they recently did some mods to the suspension and started running slicks.

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-23-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I saw a pretty cool car in our races this weekend. It was a GT3RS that was converted to cup car specs. My only question is why? also, how it can run in a cup car racing series (Pirelli cup GT3 drivers cup)and be a conversion?

It was pretty quick and got quicker over the weekend. I have some video of it in our race Ill post.

wouldnt it just be better to just buy a cup car?

what is the HP of the GT3RS vs the cup car or GT3 street? Major differences?
That is Brad, hate to bust any bubbles but the mods are as follows:
cage
fire equipt
electrical shutoff
seats, belts
window net
partial carpet removal
new exhaust
new drop links
rear diff
tires and wheels
new set up
Hit the sport button and turn off the traction control
Thats it, there are five of us running them in Phoenix and we kind of created our own spec so we dont end up having an "arms race".
Just proves what a wonderful street car the RS is.
PS, cars are street legal and can be converted back to stock in a day!!

Quick Reply: Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?