Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

VR,

This is a racing foum, its for racers to exchange information, not a joke and poke forum.

Bryan may be tryng to help, but he has a long way to get passed his own arrogance and condecention.

Why dont you take my advice ad go to the BMW forum where they dont really care about racing?

In a real discussion, we could talk about ways to improve based on someones video.

Now, you better bring YOUR A game to high plains raceway. Now, ive been rated by Bryan as "slow". So, if you get beat by me in the same car, you are in pretty bad shape!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Bryan,

You make comments about oversteer, hammer on the gas, etc, without having any information to really based it on. video is great, but it doesnt show everything. how do you know I have "massive oversteer"? based on what? sterring wheel angles?? do you know the steering ratio? optimal slip angles for the tires? watch the video from the "fender-cam" and let me know what you think. that was on the last race in April. pay particular attention to the movement of the wheel. keep i mind also, Ive driven BMWs on the track, their steering ratios are MUCH differnet and the cars are much more turney than a 928, regardless of how it is set up Its lighter and the supspension is entirely different. Ive had a BMW racer drive my car to see what he thought. He actually liked it, though it prefered his BMW feel.
Anyway, Ill use "Bryan" math. 1:37.7 with me driving on toyos. So, Im slow, so I would take that to mean 1-2 seconds. Hoosiers should run 2 seconds faster than toyos. professioal set up would be 1-2 seconds., conditions could be 1-2 seconds and Ive always run my same times regardless of conditions . ( when there was a fast day, I didnt take advantage of it so we will add this too) So, suddenly, my 1:37 toyo time is:
1:37.7 - 2 seconds for the hoosiers = 1:35.7
135.7 -2 seconds for a fast driver vs me being "slow"= 1:33.7
1:33.7 -2 seconds for a professionally set up car = 1:31.7
1:31.7 - 2 seconds for conditions that Ive not taken advange of = 129.7.

Wow, suddenly, i can beat Kip in the 800hp NSX and alll the world challenge GT cars!!

So if all what you say is true, my car could run 8 seconds faster with all that you believe that can be changed.
Bryan, I dont know what racing world you come from , but in reality world, those time differences are not reality. My 928 with 365rwhp or in its prior form of 305rwhp is not going to run 1:29 or 1:30 if penski built the car with Auberlin driving it!
Maybe in Ricer world, these changes add up, but not in the real world. In the real world, these things add up to tenths, expensive tenths, but still tenths.

tires-
most magazines that have conducted pro tests have seen .25 to .75 seconds differences in controlled tests
drivers- most good club racers can post times within tenths of a top pro sometimes the same. we are talkng the fast club guys
set up - tenths are found here as well, and most all racers would pay dearly for consistant tenths to be gained.
conditions- base on what Ive seen over 120 race days, and 8 race run groups at laguna, 55 degrees to 100 degree temps have not yeilded more than a .25 to .5 seconds variance with the fast and consistant driers.

So, add all this up and maybe if Im as bad as you say I am. (and what does that say to the good guys I have beaten ),
there is a second or 2 so variance if you stack up all the possible advantages or problems.

Anyone agree here?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
VR,

This is a racing foum, its for racers to exchange information, not a joke and poke forum.

Bryan may be tryng to help, but he has a long way to get passed [SIC] his own arrogance and condecention [SIC].

Why dont you take my advice ad go to the BMW forum where they dont really care about racing?

In a real discussion, we could talk about ways to improve based on someones video.

Now, you better bring YOUR A game to high plains raceway. Now, ive been rated by Bryan as "slow". So, if you get beat by me in the same car, you are in pretty bad shape!

Mark, for the love of God, GET OVER YOURSELF.

You project more than anyone here.

On the one hand, you self-righteously proclaim (after getting repeatedly gored by your own ox) that this is a "racing forum" to "exchange information", then on the other hand you question whether Bryan is qualified to post here because he does not drive a Porsche.

And then you decry his "arrogance and condescention [sic]". And then you suggest that I go to the BMW forums (many of which you are banned from for life for general stupidity & for pimping your comical electric suupercharger, as Bryan has correctly pointed out)??

Wow. Do you read what you type before posting? Are you bipolar??

FYI, Bryan Watts is probably one of the 2 or 3 best racers here. Period. A wise man (or woman) would listen to what he says. A moron would make 38 consecutive posts of 500 words each arguing with the simple facts he has posted.

It's gonna be fun cleaning your clock, skidmark.

Game, set, and match.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 07-12-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 07-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

One-upper!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Beach boy, listen. I just call them as I see them.

You will have to see for yourself.

Hey, forget about the BMW bash fest that imploded the list. The bozos that were arguing had no idea what they were talking about. It was a mistake on my part to even go there at the time. But, we had dynoed BMWs and saw gains. because i had friends with the BMW race cars that showed gains, I wanted to see if that was a market. in the end, it was a bash fest.

Now, I have to get over myself, as I defend ?

Ill take Brian or anyone else on at laguna, as long as the car is reasonably close in weight and HP. No excuses Now, he maybe good, but looking at his hands on the wheel, he needs quite a bit of work as well.

Now you, great with the pictures, but not so great on the track I would guess.

We will see (maybe if you show up) at the track. You have a chance to prove your point to the list and see what you are really made of. I do it on a monthly basis and my record and times with what i drive , speaks for themselves.

Now, I never said that driving a porsche had ANYTHING to do with his ability to drive . what I said was that you idiots come over to the porsche rennlist racing area and instead of exchanging ideas and storys, you find it nessesary to bash and poke at anyone that might agree or share your opinon. Its what caused the BMW lists to die, and that wasnt my fault, it was their lists fault. This should be a friendly place, that is fun to talk like we do at the track. we can razz and poke but your flavor of that is a little on the abrasive side. I think most will agree. Anyway, credible racers here have PM'ed and emailed confused why I even waste my time with you. They are right. on the list here, you really are just a bunch of noise self promoting your driving coaching business.

Last time I saw you on the track, you were on the beach . I wonder if that has changed by the time we race at HIGH PLAINS RACEWAY.

Again, bring your A game beach boy! You will need it! But, if everyone that has emailed me is right, you will figure out some way of wiggling out of the challenge. There are guys like you on every street corner VR. All talk! Hey, the good news is, you got that part down!!

Pick a day, and STFU!

Mark, for the love of God, GET OVER YOURSELF.

You project more than anyone here.

On the one hand, you self-righteously proclaim (after getting repeatedly gored by your own ox) that this is a "racing forum" to "exchange information", then on the other hand you question whether Bryan is qualified to post here because he does not drive a Porsche.

And then you decry his "arrogance and condescention [sic]". And then you suggest that I go to the BMW forums (many of which you are banned from for life for general stupidity & for pimping your comical electric suupercharger, as Bryan has correctly pointed out)??

Wow. Do you read what you type before posting? Are you bipolar??

FYI, Bryan Watts is probably one of the 2 or 3 best racers here. Period. A wise man (or woman) would listen to what he says. A moron would make 38 consecutive posts of 500 words each arguing with the simple facts hne has posted.

It's gonna be fun cleaning your clock, skidmark.

Game, set, and match.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Byan,

you are commenting on things like oversteer, etc.

take a look at this fender cam video of my 1:37 qual time at laguna on the toyos in April

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhKVQ...e=channel_page

besides the rubber bushings showing some wild stability motion on the tires, what else do you see?

Here is the same day and same time with incar cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-FzG...eature=channel

VR, its time to take your medicine.

Have either one of you EVER driven a race prepared 928 on the track? didnt think so!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You are so good with the cute pictures.

hey, do me a favor. do some honest analysis here on this laguna video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgTWq...e=channel_page

Hey, here is Brian giving a shuffelsteering clinic.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...&hl=en&tab=wv#

Actually, it seems he is pretty smooth and fast, aside from the real strange hand positions. He runs door to door safely and picks through traffic without making too many enemies.

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;6724106]..[IMGQUOTE]
Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You are so good with the cute pictures.

hey, do me a favor. do some honest analysis here on this laguna video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgTWq...e=channel_page
Hmm. Well, first of all, I know Peter Kitchak and his crew.

From what I saw/heard on your video, a couple of things come to mind, in no particular order.

Your car wants to oversteer...a lot. Perhaps you could have chosen a better set up. If not, perhaps you should have changed your driving style, since it was killing pretty much every lap.

You were getting your *** kicked in T11 every lap, primarily by getting on the gas too soon, too hard, with too much steering angle.

When you weren't letting people by, it looked like you chose to double apex T2. IMO, that is not a wise proposition in qualifying, especially for a big heavy high HP car like yours, whereas it is IMO in a race.

You seemed to be a couple of feet off quite a few apexes.

In a lot of corners, you did not begin opening up steering angle soon enough, then you'd apply power, then you'd open up the steering way too fast, and the car--already becoming unstable under power--became more so.

That's just on first viewing. YMMV.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mark...what's up with the blown shocks and 20 year old bushings? are you seriously still running on original equipment? why won't you change these things out? seems like you have adjusted you driving style to a suspension that is continually loosening up...not the fast way around the track, no? potentially dangerous to you and to others? just curious because you've changed out your engine so why not your suspension? (disregard if you have replaced with new)
Old 07-12-2009, 03:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

No, its not as bad as I was making it out to be. You have seen my car, its not that bad on the track. a lttle soft but still very safe as seen by what I have done.
The shocks are 10 years old and have been though a lot . they seem to be blown out on the initial bump but ok mid stroke. they ar aos suspect on the rebound. my bmw racer buddy who is very **** about new everything, says they are shot. for sure, im on the bumpstops , and the car needs a newer and better set up, but Im making it work. Its a koni dual adjustable set up that i tested the first day an wrenched them up to full stiff, both rebound and compression and havent touched them since. since the car is pretty quick and doesnt exhibit any wild behaviors except some nasty roll during the 7-9 turn transisions at Sears, I havent sent them in to be revalved. thats next on the list for sure. I had to fix the blown 20 year old brake lines that was dangerous and ended me up with no brakes for the last 5 laps of our race, and the broken shift linkage which might get the final welding up this next week. (broken in 3 places in the linkage area, including the last race breaking the entire lever in half!) Rennsport welded it up at the track and saved my last race, but there is one more part to fix and has been broken since ive own the car and have just got used to it. (very sloppy in the linkage area, requriring some preload to not mis gears)

Anyway, thanks for the concern.

are you going to do a NCRC race next time? maybe Ill see you out there. Ive been asked to instruct a few guys in the next Thill event.

Thanks

MK

Originally Posted by karlooz
mark...what's up with the blown shocks and 20 year old bushings? are you seriously still running on original equipment? why won't you change these things out? seems like you have adjusted you driving style to a suspension that is continually loosening up...not the fast way around the track, no? potentially dangerous to you and to others? just curious because you've changed out your engine so why not your suspension? (disregard if you have replaced with new)
Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I left out something on that video. That is not me driving, its Mark Anderson. He took a top 10 finish in that race (@1:40.1) and the car has about 100 more hp than the car i ran those times exact same times with. (In 2002, 1:40.2).

I think you have a fair analysis of that drive by the way. Now, pull up my last race from laguna and make comments to my video. keep in mind, i remember you said that you thought I could let out the wheel sooner in the older videos. with more grip, see if you still see that same thing that could help. also, keep in mind, and this might have confused Brians assesment, that the 928 has a very tall steering ratio. Also, you driving mostly BMWs, it doesnt have that initial bite on turn in and generaly pushs and then oversteers out. the steering angle is needed to keep the car on track!
Now, those kind of posts are readable and actualy provide benifit. Thanks!
EDIT: I just watched it and Anderson was just late on a few turns which was costing hime time and speed. turn 6, the corkscrew, and out of the corkscrew, along with 11, were all early turn ins. especially turn 6 where you need to hit that turn in a drift and be on the power early. hey. Kitchack was missing apexs also! You got to love the sound of that thing though!

Anyway, Anderson is one of the better drivers in california, winning most all of the POC porsche club races, even when he goes back to the 70 car fields at Road America, he ends up with a 1st in class, 2nd or 3rd overall. (2:17 best time) He has been racing longer than most all of us, and is very fast. He had seveal top 10 finishes, even when the Audi RS6s were running. So, he is pretty darn good. I use this video to contrast what I am doing with a car with a lot less hp. The bar went up pretty high the next year in 2000 with the cup cars. BUT, even in that field, Cooper, White, archer, Bell and many others were running some pretty hopped up equipment, and running times ive run with a lot less power.
Kitchaks car was such a cheater car. Thats when the series was starting to be a joke with these frankenstiein cars. See how he ran by anderson. Anderson was running 420rwhp at the time!

Anyway, I agree that Mark at the time was fighting the car. soon afterwards we were talking about set up. he took a lot of spring out of the car, widened the wheel base and was able to bolt on some bigger HP. (along with a complete chassis refresh). Now, he runs 520rwhp and 130.8 at Laguna.
He also has a GT3cup car and was the pirelli cup champion last season.

Point is, the car was a handful . Marks ability to keep it under him at that time is why he is so much better today that he fixed some of those little driving characteristics. Mark is a seasoned pro . He can drive most anything fast.

Now, put that video side by side with one of my videos. It shows how knowing a track well can make up for a boat load of hp. we are talking the same times here , with 100 less HP. If I had my car in that race, I could have filled Kitacks mirrors for a few laps I bet! by the time I joined the series, it was more for fun as the bar went up to allow GT3 cup cars, 500rhp vets and others that just were just way too fast for a stockish older car to compete against.

Mark is going to kill me for posting that old video.

I willl have to post his video of him running down the entire field the very next year at Road america in the same car.

mk

Hmm. Well, first of all, I know Peter Kitchak and his crew.

From what I saw/heard on your video, a couple of things come to mind, in no particular order.

Your car wants to oversteer...a lot. Perhaps you could have chosen a better set up. If not, perhaps you should have changed your driving style, since it was killing pretty much every lap.

You were getting your *** kicked in T11 every lap, primarily by getting on the gas too soon, too hard, with too much steering angle.

When you weren't letting people by, it looked like you chose to double apex T2. IMO, that is not a wise proposition in qualifying, especially for a big heavy high HP car like yours, whereas it is IMO in a race.

You seemed to be a couple of feet off quite a few apexes.

In a lot of corners, you did not begin opening up steering angle soon enough, then you'd apply power, then you'd open up the steering way too fast, and the car--already becoming unstable under power--became more so.

That's just on first viewing. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?