Sponsored by:

Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default almost forgot

Car was running as an exhibition, they are considering opening some new classes that will bring more drivers out to their events.
They are also considering ex Koni Challange cars.
I have not spoken to the director, but I believe they are pleased that the cars were competitive and not holding anyone up.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

It was doing pretty welll out there power wise.

Interesting it has just been lightly stripped out. I didnt get a close look.

I heard, sport mod gives it another 14hp vs the 415hp it comes with, so obviously, it is no slouch. On the pirelli slicks it was pretty fast. on the 2nd day, it was only about 5 seconds off the fastest of the 09 cup cars.
Now, Koni cup cars will be probably near the same speed. (they run 1:37 on DOT compound tires) . interesting they can run that fast with only about 300rwhp from what ive heard (and near 3200lbs).

a few of the older cup cars are 2650lbs with driver and probably not even 330rwhp and are running near the front in the 1:33s. I guess the platform is good enough to run most any config, grand am cup, GT3cup or GT3 street and the weight be the only real differentiator.

mk

Originally Posted by AZ997TT
Car was running as an exhibition, they are considering opening some new classes that will bring more drivers out to their events.
They are also considering ex Koni Challange cars.
I have not spoken to the director, but I believe they are pleased that the cars were competitive and not holding anyone up.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Yep, that shounds about right. top cup cars were in the 1:32 to 1:33s he was in the 1:36 range and on slicks. They were a guest group with with us and we are all on DOTs. We were close to the same acceleration, but he still stuck in the turns and stopped much better. It sure acted alot like one of the cup cars he was racing with. Ill post a video of the race tomorrow so you can see it on track.

Race 1 I was leading until my gear shifter broke in half, race 2 I followed him for a while until my brakes blew a line. (no front brakes)

it was real nice looking!

mk
1:36 wow, nice.
in my street RS with R888, i did 1:39:63 on a good day.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Brad Larsen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, All

I am the owner of the GT3 RS that you are talking about. To answer the question of why? I bought the RS as a street car because I am a huge porsche fan. I had no track experience and met Doug at Race Technik and he got me started at DE Track events with the car about 1 1/2 ago with a great group of 5 guys that have RS's too. It took me time to learn how to drive, that is the reason I did not buy a Cup Car from the start.

I had a great time at Lugana Seca - My first time there. My fast Lap time was a 1:34:9

Mark - It was a lot of fun running with you. I wish I was able to meet you, next time.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Dick Dobson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes we let Brad Larson run with us in exhibition as he is going cup car with us next year. This was a special consideration.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
171mph
Racer

Originally Posted by Brad Larsen
Hi, All

I am the owner of the GT3 RS that you are talking about. To answer the question of why? I bought the RS as a street car because I am a huge porsche fan. I had no track experience and met Doug at Race Technik and he got me started at DE Track events with the car about 1 1/2 ago with a great group of 5 guys that have RS's too. It took me time to learn how to drive, that is the reason I did not buy a Cup Car from the start.

I had a great time at Lugana Seca - My first time there. My fast Lap time was a 1:34:9

Mark - It was a lot of fun running with you. I wish I was able to meet you, next time.

Hi Brad that is a really fast lap well done. I think your friend mentioned you have a bolt-in cage? If so what kind is it and would they fit 996 gt3s. i'm very tempted to race mine but definitely don't want to do any gutting.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Brad Larsen
Rennlist Member

The roll cage is the factor Porsche FIA Cage that comes from Germany. I had a friend try to put one in a regular GT3. It did not work due to the sunroof. You would have to use a aftermarket cage.

Good Luck
Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Thats it, there are five of us running them in Phoenix and we kind of created our own spec so we dont end up having an "arms race".
It might not be an "Arms Race" but I can say is getting in the middle of you guys on the track doesn't exactly feel like "Détente" either...
Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Brad,

Great running with you on Saturday. Not so great on Sunday when you had the track down.

Very impressive car. I forgot when i was told that it was an RS with slicks, but either way, after a good dicing on the track I like to stop by and say hello. It was a lot of fun. Im bummed my rear cam didnt work on the first race with you and the white car going at it. what happened to the viper and the white car? a little tangle at turn two? Anyway, everytime I stopped by, you were not around. Plus, lots of things going on this weekend. I thought it was one of the best events yet. (even though I had some issues in the last 5 laps of BOTH races with the broken gear shift lever and blown brake line)

By race two AND all that unfair practice in Group 3, you seemed to have the track wired.

Cool to hear what you did with the car. pretty amazing machines!

Hope to see you at another event!

BTW. Only run DE 1.5 years ago and now you are racing running 1:35 at Laguna Seca? Very impressive.

Mark

Hi, All

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey, thats pretty fast, especially since Max Angelelli did a 1:39.5 with a new GT3 a few years ago on some DOTs too!

Originally Posted by mooty
1:36 wow, nice.
in my street RS with R888, i did 1:39:63 on a good day.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Brad Larsen
Rennlist Member

Hi, Mark

I love seeing your 928 out on the track. I love porsche's, so seeing a great car like yours out there is very special and it is very fast as well.

The Viper blow his engine going into 2 and the white porsche almost hit him. Not good.

I hope to see you at Infineon in Sept.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Did you see the video I posted of our race? I dont know how much game I could have given you even if my brakes didnt fail. But you were cheating. didnt you have 4 races this weekend??? I was going all out for the first 3 laps until things started to get a little weird. By lap 12, brakes were no more and I was just engine compression , and front tire slide braking until the finish Hey, dont laugh, I ran a 1:48 with no brakes. Maybe that could be a new class like Velodrome bikes.

Hi, Mark

I love seeing your 928 out on the track. I love porsche's, so seeing a great car like yours out there is very special and it is very fast as well.

The Viper blow his engine going into 2 and the white porsche almost hit him. Not good.

I hope to see you at Infineon in Sept.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

But you were cheating. didnt you have 4 races this weekend???

Ok, I'll bite.... Buddy leave it alone, it was his first time on the track, with a modded street car, how could you accuse someone of "cheating".

Let's just leave it at everyone had a great time, and the winner took home a plastic trophy or something like that.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:30 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You got to be kinding me? (now is where I put up one of the VR pictures of Zolf or whatever grabbing his forehead)

Anyway, he wheeled the car around the car pretty well. got faster as the weekend progresed and we had some great racing.

What are you biting on?

By the way, that is far from a "modded" street car. Its a cup car with an interior on real slicks! If anything, mine is a mod'ed street car. Remember, 1:34 and 1:35 a few years ago WON top honors at the World Challenge GT race in 2004 with the PTG BMWs, porsche GT3 cup with motor upgrades, vets , etc.

Anyway, i didnt think he was cheating. It was a joke. (because he was running in 2 groups , accelerating his learning curve) get it??

mk

But you were cheating. didnt you have 4 races this weekend???

Ok, I'll bite.... Buddy leave it alone, it was his first time on the track, with a modded street car, how could you accuse someone of "cheating".

Let's just leave it at everyone had a great time, and the winner took home a plastic trophy or something like that.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Hey, thats pretty fast, especially since Max Angelelli did a 1:39.5 with a new GT3 a few years ago on some DOTs too!
we have guys on RL who can routinely do 1:38's on hoosiers on 996gt3 with 4.0 ring and pinion. maybe he should get a shot a ALMS too

Quick Reply: Street GT3RS coverted to cup car spec?