Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Rotors do you use in your race car?
Slotted
48.15%
crossed drilled, cast or drilled
18.52%
cupped (those little "C" cuts in the rotor face"
3.70%
Flat surfaced vented rotors
29.63%
2 piece?
14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Racing brake rotors. drilled, slotted, cupped or flat

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Racing brake rotors. drilled, slotted, cupped or flat

What have you had as racing brake rotors.

Im wondering if the old flat style is making a come back. Holes seem to crack, slots are thought to generate unneeded friction and heat and there might not be any issues with good 'ole flat rotors. One of the faster cars with SCCA is running a 14" flat rotor that has had amazing luck with them. He mentioned that Griggs racing gave up on the holes and slots some time ago. The fact that he runs 1:52 at thunderhill in a 3000lbs car with a solid axle, is proof as well that the slots or holes might not be a requirement.

Thoughts, differences seen, felt, experienced?

mk

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Requirement? Nope. Helpful in the rain and for preventing pad glaze? Sure. In order of preference for me: small slots, full face slots, solid face, drilled. Plenty of SCCA guys race with solid faced rotors in IT, Showroom Stock, etc classes. Plenty of BMW guys run solid faced rotors in BMW CCA club racing, especially in the rear.

I can't quite figure out your poll since it only mentions vented rotors once and tacks 2-piece onto the end. 2-piece is always a good idea, especially for the front. We get away with running a "stock" BMW rear rotors with slots added to it, so it's a one piece, but I can't imagine any proper racing brake front setup employing a 1-piece rotor (assuming the car is running in a class that allows proper racing brakes).
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The "2 Piece " part of the pole was to see who had 2 piece rotors. you can vote more than one selection. sorry that wasnt more clear.

I dont have the extra cash to do the 2 piece rotors, but would like to as the rotor replacements from Coleman for my set up are pretty cheap. BUT,the custom hats are expensive. So, Im stuck with solid 1 piece rotors. what are the draw backs of them? prone to warping, heat disappation, or is weight the only real difference
Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Requirement? Nope. Helpful in the rain and for preventing pad glaze? Sure. In order of preference for me: small slots, full face slots, solid face, drilled. Plenty of SCCA guys race with solid faced rotors in IT, Showroom Stock, etc classes. Plenty of BMW guys run solid faced rotors in BMW CCA club racing, especially in the rear.

I can't quite figure out your poll since it only mentions vented rotors once and tacks 2-piece onto the end. 2-piece is always a good idea, especially for the front. We get away with running a "stock" BMW rear rotors with slots added to it, so it's a one piece, but I can't imagine any proper racing brake front setup employing a 1-piece rotor (assuming the car is running in a class that allows proper racing brakes).
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock 993TT rotors, but I'd like to find affordable slotted rotors to fit my current hats.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I'm surprised about how many are using cross drilled rotors. No problems with cracking holes out to the outer edge after a few race weekends?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:12 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I started out with 993 TT rotors and had no problems with cracking. They lasted 1 1/2 seasons. I used Pagid RS19 pads during that time.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best solution for racing (IMO) is slotted 2-piece rotors. These rotors do the following:

- Release heat more efficiently from the rotor
- Keep heat away from hub bearings / assemblies (key for 944 series cars)
- slots allow for gas to be released and drawn away from pad / rotor contact surface

Now if we could have a properly made set of front 2-piece, slotted rotors for 944/951/968 racing cars, it would be excellent.

C.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chads996
Now if we could have a properly made set of front 2-piece, slotted rotors for 944/951/968 racing cars, it would be excellent
I assume you mean to match up to the stock calipers? Performance Friction came out with a set of aluminum hats and Direct Drive vented/dimpled rotors for E36 and E46 M3's to fit the stock calipers. I believe Bimmerworld worked with them to get them made. You may want to encourage one of your bigger shops/part suppliers to see about getting something made for the 944's.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/perf...ive-rotors.htm
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume you mean to match up to the stock calipers? Performance Friction came out with a set of aluminum hats and Direct Drive vented/dimpled rotors for E36 and E46 M3's to fit the stock calipers. I believe Bimmerworld worked with them to get them made. You may want to encourage one of your bigger shops/part suppliers to see about getting something made for the 944's.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/perf...ive-rotors.htm
I had those on my last E46 M3. Awesome brake rotors. I never had any fade whatsoever. Based upon the knowledge out there about getting heat away from the hubs on the E36/E46 series BMW's, I am willing to bet the hub failures on 944's have at least something to do with the heat from those solid rotors.

Not a bad idea about getting those fabricated. I just might look into seeing if maybe Paragon Products could make that happen.

C.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I use cross drilled, but I'm running slicks. If I was running toyo's I'd probably just run a throw away rotor.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
I use cross drilled, but I'm running slicks. If I was running toyo's I'd probably just run a throw away rotor.
Why? It's unlikely that your speed at the end of straights would change significantly...and with Toyo's you would need to slow down MORE for the corners than with slicks, requiring additional braking ability and heat removal. Regardless, "drilled" or blank rotors aren't really the issue when it comes to heat anyway (save for a little bit of gas removal)...internal vanes and one-piece or two-piece design are the important part.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I had those on my last E46 M3. Awesome brake rotors. I never had any fade whatsoever. Based upon the knowledge out there about getting heat away from the hubs on the E36/E46 series BMW's, I am willing to bet the hub failures on 944's have at least something to do with the heat from those solid rotors.
Perhaps so. It seems like a lot of Porsches I see have cooling air simply blowing on the rotor rather than channeling it to the hub and inner cooling vanes as you see on most tracked BMW's.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Why? It's unlikely that your speed at the end of straights would change significantly...and with Toyo's you would need to slow down MORE for the corners than with slicks, requiring additional braking ability and heat removal. Regardless, "drilled" or blank rotors aren't really the issue when it comes to heat anyway (save for a little bit of gas removal)...internal vanes and one-piece or two-piece design are the important part.
I'm just being an *** really.

I do run drilled, but I would prefer slotted...just haven't found any yet.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

good points!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Not a bad idea about getting those fabricated. I just might look into seeing if maybe Paragon Products could make that happen.

C.
Chad, keep us in the loop if you come up with something.

Patrick

Quick Reply: Racing brake rotors. drilled, slotted, cupped or flat