Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Rotors do you use in your race car?
Slotted
48.15%
crossed drilled, cast or drilled
18.52%
cupped (those little "C" cuts in the rotor face"
3.70%
Flat surfaced vented rotors
29.63%
2 piece?
14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Racing brake rotors. drilled, slotted, cupped or flat

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed that you could 'vote' for more than 1. I run 2-piece (floating), slotted rotors. I'm not as fast as your friend, I do a 1:56 at TH in a 2300 lb car with 285 rwhp.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

two piece slotted fronts.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So who make a slotted rotor to mate up to the stock 993TT hat?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you tried VCI? I get the slotted floating from them to fit my big reds.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

How do you like the R888s compared to other DOT tires? (or especially the RA1s if you had them prior)

Nice brake package by the way! is that the cup car stuff?

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
two piece slotted fronts.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Broke my fist set of rotors this spring, "Frozen Rotors" with slots cut in to maximum wear depth. By broke I mean a crack through one side from hub to outside. Haven't broken a standard solid OEM rotor yet, but Sean did at the WGI race. The cracks were pretty much identical. I'm sticking with OEM from now on..
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Does the turtle run 1:56 WITH the hill? I remember that car was pretty fast!
When is your next race??

mk

Originally Posted by Tom W
I missed that you could 'vote' for more than 1. I run 2-piece (floating), slotted rotors. I'm not as fast as your friend, I do a 1:56 at TH in a 2300 lb car with 285 rwhp.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark: Yes, my best to date is 1:56.0 with the hill. Next races are at Sears Point June 27/28 (where my best is a 1:45 IIRC).
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

i was just passing that on to the S2000 with the 500rwhp 2650lb monster running about 1:57 and 1:46 at sears. I told him to loose the blower, go back to his 260rwhp N/A set up and some weight and get down to 2300lbs and maybe he can be as fast as you !

Now me, I dont know where I can find any weight to loose. Im kind of stuck at the near 3000lbs with driver

mk

Originally Posted by Tom W
Mark: Yes, my best to date is 1:56.0 with the hill. Next races are at Sears Point June 27/28 (where my best is a 1:45 IIRC).
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Benton
Drifting

Ah come on Mark, you know you can find some weight to lose! I bet you could get 50-80 pounds out pretty easily. Get rid of the headlight mechanism and put in some small projectors, ditch a bunch of the wiring/pod/dash and rewire some stuff, lexan windshield, and more. This winter I'd like to try to cut another 80 or so pounds out of my car... I'm probably about the same weight as you right now, more in some areas, less in others.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Its all gone, nothing left to cut out. Even lighweight starter, minimal cage and it still weighs 3000lbs to cut out. Lexan winshield doesnt buy much as it has to be 2x as thick as glass. (only a few lbs there). even if I pull the projector lights (3lbs ) thats only 3lbs! No bumpers either! Nothing. If I put my fire system back in, thats a net gain of about 7 more lbs (and ditch the hand held halon)

Ive even cut seat rails out of the passenger side, any metal that wasnt for some kindof chassis strength has been cut out. Anderson has taken his chassis to the bare metal and sand blasted it. but after adding tubes and removing ANYTHING that was not needed as as race car, he weights only 100lbs less than me. (but has a much stiffer and safer chassis)

365rwhp /3000lbs . Thats it!

Mk

Originally Posted by Red
Ah come on Mark, you know you can find some weight to lose! I bet you could get 50-80 pounds out pretty easily. Get rid of the headlight mechanism and put in some small projectors, ditch a bunch of the wiring/pod/dash and rewire some stuff, lexan windshield, and more. This winter I'd like to try to cut another 80 or so pounds out of my car... I'm probably about the same weight as you right now, more in some areas, less in others.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Benton
Drifting

This is getting OT, but oh well.

I didn't weigh my lexan windshield when I made it (too excited to get it on.. stupid I know), but I'd bet it is 10 pounds lighter than the glass windshield. 3 pounds for the headlights? What about all of the mechanism as well as the foglights? I think I pulled about 15-20 pounds worth of lights, wiring, motor, and brackets from the front. What battery are you using? Optima? Those are pretty heavy if so... my Advance Autoparts MagnaPower ETX14 (I think is the number) weighs 12 pounds including the bracket, and hasn't given any trouble in over a year, cranks the car just fine even after sitting for four months.

If you wanted to take some time in the offseason, I'd bet you could rewire the car much more simply and lose another 20 pounds of wiring. Here and there I'd bet there is a bit more...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

you havent seen my car. EVERYTHING is removed. There are no headlight parts. My headlights are just covers.(I know they look real. ) Pia lights underneath.

all extra wiring has been removed ALL over the car. there are fog lights in the bumper, but they weigh less than 1lb each and I used them on the track in lapped traffic.

You think i have an interstate battery? I have a little 13lb battery starting the V8 no problem. Also, ive cut the entire battery box out which was about 20lbs of steel. I mounted the batter with a few oz. of bracket in the area of the car that needs the weight. rear lexan, side window are lexan, doors are aluminum gutted shells. There was a 928 lexan windshield,but it was about an 8lb weight savings from what they said. lexan is not that light, expecially when it has to be 1/4" thick.

Think of one area where I could lose weight. There is about 10lbs weight to be save in the fuse box area, but not ready to lose much of its functionality. I run my car very lean on gas too. 9 times out of 10, my fuel reserve light comes on on the next to the last lap of most races.

mk

Originally Posted by Red
This is getting OT, but oh well.

I didn't weigh my lexan windshield when I made it (too excited to get it on.. stupid I know), but I'd bet it is 10 pounds lighter than the glass windshield. 3 pounds for the headlights? What about all of the mechanism as well as the foglights? I think I pulled about 15-20 pounds worth of lights, wiring, motor, and brackets from the front. What battery are you using? Optima? Those are pretty heavy if so... my Advance Autoparts MagnaPower ETX14 (I think is the number) weighs 12 pounds including the bracket, and hasn't given any trouble in over a year, cranks the car just fine even after sitting for four months.

If you wanted to take some time in the offseason, I'd bet you could rewire the car much more simply and lose another 20 pounds of wiring. Here and there I'd bet there is a bit more...
Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You never came back with any weight losing ideas. I need every edge I can take with this field in the next Laguna event.

However, I just dont think there is any place to lose it. I can see 15lbs right off the bat in actually pulling the entire wiring backplane out, and using only what im using. However, Ive already taking every wire that is not being used and cut/sealed them. replace the covers with sandwitch plastic cover vs the wood it comes with. Also , Im using a facade center console that i dont really need but it is ony 2 lbs. Foe dash is less than a few oz. fan computer gone, run by small,redundant relays now. sunroof less chassis, so thats good. lighweight suspension bolt on. battery box cut out and like i said, all non structual steel anywhere in the chassis has been cut out. I mentinoed the 13.5lb battery as well as the lightweight alternator and starter. early dual disc clutch to save 25lbs of rotating mass, AND I run the car with only enough gas to finsh the race. With a set of hoosiers, I save 3lbs per tire over the toyos, so that is 12lbs of rotating mass. Again, minimal cage too, with no bumpers at all. Lexan rear and side windows with fully gutted doors with no windows. (all aluminun doors, like a cup car come stock )

so, any other places where I can lose weight?

Originally Posted by Red
Old 06-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You never came back with any weight losing ideas. I need every edge I can take with this field in the next Laguna event.

However, I just dont think there is any place to lose it. I can see 15lbs right off the bat in actually pulling the entire wiring backplane out, and using only what im using. However, Ive already taking every wire that is not being used and cut/sealed them. replace the covers with sandwitch plastic cover vs the wood it comes with. Also , Im using a facade center console that i dont really need but it is ony 2 lbs. Foe dash is less than a few oz. fan computer gone, run by small,redundant relays now. sunroof less chassis, so thats good. lighweight suspension bolt on. battery box cut out and like i said, all non structual steel anywhere in the chassis has been cut out. I mentinoed the 13.5lb battery as well as the lightweight alternator and starter. early dual disc clutch to save 25lbs of rotating mass, AND I run the car with only enough gas to finsh the race. With a set of hoosiers, I save 3lbs per tire over the toyos, so that is 12lbs of rotating mass. Again, minimal cage too, with no bumpers at all. Lexan rear and side windows with fully gutted doors with no windows. (all aluminun doors, like a cup car come stock )

so, any other places where I can lose weight?
carbon roof? carbon doors? carbon hood? carbon air intake? carbon light blanks?

Quick Reply: Racing brake rotors. drilled, slotted, cupped or flat