Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER

The Group Buy is now officially CLOSED!

It was great to see the number of Listers who took advantage of this deal.
Many thanks again to Rennlist sponsor OG Racing and Racepak for making it possible. Much appreciated!!

====================================================================

Its been a long day, but good news is that Rennlist sponsor OG Racing is fully supporting this group buy. This was originally in DanR's thread.

Here are the details, based on a minimum of 6 units combined [G2X + IQ3]

Racepak G2X package: $810 including shipping to the lower 48 states[List $943.50]

Channels:
V-Net: 12, Internal: 4

Sample Rates:
V-Net: up to 100 per second

Memory:
SD memory card
Recording time depends on number of channels monitored and sample rates

Internal Sensors:
Battery Voltage
Longitudinal g-meter (acceleration and deceleration)
Lateral g-meter (side-to-side motion)
GPS

Dimensions:
5.6” (L) 4.00” (W) 1.5” (H)

G2X Display Overview

Simple, 2 Button Programming Functions
Setup programming mode
Brightness
Return to factory settings
Tach signal
RPM source
Progressive shift light steps
Shift light RPM level for 6 gears
Speed source
Gear Indicator Ratios
GMT settings
MPH or KPH
Select on-track left and right display

In-car programming
Set Gear ratios
Set Start / Finish with a single button
Extra Bright LED’s insures information is daytime visible even in open cockpits
Forward / Rewind of laptime information
Displays Lap Number and Lap Time each time Start / Finish is passed
Displays Predictive Lap Time during the lap - time difference between this lap and the reference lap updated continuously through each lap.
Automatically returns to Lap Number and Lap Time when vehicle stops
Automatically resets Lap Number and Lap Time when vehicle returns to track
Left and Right button toggle allows anytime viewing of data channels
User programmed Left and Right display allows user to “park” on any of the following 2 channels:
Engine RPM
Speed
Lap Time
Lap Number
Lap Difference
Accel G
Lateral G
Battery Voltage
Any 3 user defined external sensors

Racepak IQ3 Logger Dash package: $1185 including shipping to the lower 48 states[List $1395.00]

· 32 Channels
· Internally Mounted GPS
· Internal 3 Axis G Meter
· 512MB microSD Memory Card
· Programmable Shift Lights
· Programmable Warning Lights With On Screen Warning
· 24 Programmable Sensor Inputs On 4 Pages
· Programmable 5 Character Channel Name
· Gear Indicator
· Predictive Lap Time
· Power/Ground/Engine RPM/
· External Programming Button Harness [see note below]
· Speed, Lap Time, Lap # and Predictive Lap time from GPS
· Metric / Imperial Configurable

Datalink II data analysis software [both models]
· Track Mapping, Segment Times, Lap comparison reports
· Extensive Data graphing and Reports
· Video integration allows video files to be loaded for each data session.
· Video files can be synchronized with the data, and viewed within Datalink II
· Fully integrated with TrackVision to produce high quality video with data overlay. For a quick look at how this works, click HERE
· There's a short sample of what the video looks like HERE
· The TrackVision software is sold separately - $195 from OG Racing.

Other things you might want or need

RPM Pickup: Porsche DME cars can pick up RPM from DME Pin 6, but RPM on both earlier points/CDI ignition cars and later coil-on-plug cars is much easier using Racepak's GMR module which is around $42 from OG Racing. There is a G2X version and an IQ3 version [the connectors are different].

IQ3 Programming Buttons
In-car programming and control of both units is via two programming buttons. The G2X has these buttons on the display itself, but for the IQ3 the buttons need to be mounted remote from the display. The two switches are not provided with the IQ3. There are two options:
- Racepak provides a program button set with a harness. PN 280-SW-IQ3BTN @ $99.00 from OG Racing.
- You can use any momentary on switch to do this. Please don't use Radio Shack rubbish, but any decent switches will do. The best place to mount them is on the console behind the shifter, where you can reach them with your harnesses cinched up.

Additional Sensors - the Racepak VNet world
Racepak's VNet sensor system is basically a CAN bus that uses a single cable to connect all sensors to the logger. All the nice thought-bulkhead fittings and angle connectors you could imagine are available. The sensors themselves are 'smart' devices containign a microprocessor. When you plug new VNet sensor into your system, it registers itself with the logger and appears in the logged data as what it is eg. "Temperature 0-300F" or "Throttle Position" or "Brake Pressure 0-1500psi" etc. Very nice! The VNet sensors are prices competitively with sensors from other higher-end logger vendors like Pi Research, Stack, AiM and MoTeC.

For us lower budget racers, Racepak offers their Universal Sensor Module [USM] which adds four sensor channels, each of which can be configured for analog or digital signals [pic below]. Price is $179 from OG Racing. This turns out to be a pretty neat solution for most of us. You can get throttle position direct from the TPS on any car that has a true TPS rather than the switch-only TPS on the Carreras, 964s. You can pick up you brake switch for a brake on-off channel, or add any 0-5V brake pressure sensor. You can use a cheap GM temperature sensor for oil temp [the software includes calibration curves for the GM sensors] and any 0-5V pressure sensors.
You can also connect a second USM for four more channels, or use any VNet sensor, or do both. The system is very flexible.

What else?
The one thing that becomes really obvious once you see the Racepak gear is the build quality. The enclosures are beautifully made, they use high quality connectors, and everything just goes together and works. Take a look at the USM pic below. Each of the sensor wire ports has a water resistant seal, and the unit has an full o-ring seal on the top of the box. Niice!

Which one is for me?
It really risky to generalize, but here goes........
If you are doing DE in a street car, the G2X is probably the best choice because the logger can be velcro'ed to the floor or mounted basically anywhere that is level. The display can also be mounted in a way that makes it easily removable for street use. It can be anywhere on you dashboard that you can see and reach while driving [you need to reach the buttons to set Start/Finish position on track or change the displayed channels].

The IQ3 is a true display dashboard that really needs to be mounted directly in your eye line. The unit must be parallel to the car's center line [for the G sensors to work correctly]. Mounting on the steering column makes most sense. This is perfect for a dedicated track/race car, but maybe not for a dual purpose car. Its not something you would want to install/remove for a track day [although you could, of course].

Sorry this turned out so long, but hope this info helps listers interested in the group buy. Thanks again to Racepak and OG Racing for their generous support of this group buy!

Last edited by APKhaos; 06-30-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm in. Already left my info with Steve at OG Racing. We need 5 more guys.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am interested in the iq3 dash...how is the software? i had the AIM MXL pista. while i liked the dash i didn't really like the software (not intuitive) and i had to spend another 600 bucks for GPS.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by karlooz
i am interested in the iq3 dash...how is the software? i had the AIM MXL pista. while i liked the dash i didn't really like the software (not intuitive) and i had to spend another 600 bucks for GPS.
Our club had a couple of guys buy G2X when they first came out. Now there are many, including guys that sold their Traqmate when they realized that the software could not do what the other guys were doing with DatalinkII. There's no question that this happened because the first couple of guys became very familiar with DatalinkII, and that knowledge spread quickly.

I have the following installed here, and use all of them on a regular basis:
- MoTeC i2Pro
- AiM Race Studio
- Racepak Datalink II
- Race Tech RT Analysis
- Stack DataPro
- Pi V6
- Racelogic Tools
- Traqmate Traqview
- ETB ERace
- Plus a few others

I've had a G2X and now have an IQ3 in my car, and I really like the software. Its got its quirks, but they all do. I'd say its better than Race Studio, but that's mainly because RaceStudio is so tricky to use properly. Italians should not be allowed to write software.

You need to spend a little time getting to know the more capable packages. The less capable packages tend to be simpler to learn. That's a sweeping generalization, but its pretty much the reality.

Last edited by APKhaos; 05-20-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

We had another guy sign up today (Dan Y), so four more needed for the group buy.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

as long as it is more intuitive than AIM software. is there any way i can download it and play around? can you provide some screen shots?

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Our club had a couple of guys buy G2X when they first came out. Now there are many, including guys that sold their Traqmate when they realized that the software could not do what the other guys were doing with DatalinkII. There's no question that this happened because the first couple of guys became very familiar with DatalinkII, and that knowledge spread quickly.

I have the following installed here, and use all of them on a regular basis:
- MoTeC i2Pro
- AiM Race Studio
- Racepak Datalink II
- Race Tech RT Analysis
- Stack DataPro
- Pi V6
- Racelogic Tools
- Traqmate Traqview
- ETB ERace
- Plus a few others

I've had a G2X and now have an IQ3 in my car, and I really like the software. Its got its quirks, but they all do. I'd say its better than Race Studio, but that's mainly because RaceStudio is so tricky to use properly. Italians should not be allowed to write software.

You need to spend a little time getting to know the more capable packages. The less capable packages tend to be simpler to learn. That's a sweeping generalization, but its pretty much the reality.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default G2X

Put me in for the G2X

Greg Phillips
Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by karlooz
as long as it is more intuitive than AIM software. is there any way i can download it and play around? can you provide some screen shots?
http://www.racepak.com/Downloads.php here, download the datalink file at the top. I am working through it now and it does not seem as intuitive as traqmate however still playing with it
Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Carlos,
Here's a link to a quick summary of the Datalink II software with lots of acreen shots.
http://www.racepak.com/Downloads/IQ3/IQ3_Demo.pdf
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

thx guys
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Put me down for the IQ3.

Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Very good deal...bummer my race car is in rehab for a rod bearing right now :>(
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

When does this pricing expire? And does the IQ3 work with a car's CANBUS(specifically 01 BMW 330Ci)?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:45 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Greg,
Looks like we have the numbers, so I'll try to keep this open until the end of next week.

Racepak is shipping CANBUS modules for the C6 Corvette and a generic CANBUS module that can be user programmed. There are other CANBUS modules in the works, but I'm not sure what makes and models are planned. The good news is that the individual make/model variants are software-only exercises. There's also talk of OBDII modules in the works!

As an example, here's what the C6 module provides:
EFI Engine RPM EFI Pedal Pos EFI TPS Oil Temp Trans Temp EFI H2O Temp EFI Intake Temp EFI Boost PSI LF Wheel RF Wheel LR Wheel RR Wheel EFI Gear Torque Yaw X Brake Pos
I think the CANBUS modules are something like $375.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Tony:

Do you happen to know exactly what additional items from the base IQ3 package that would need to be purchased in order to do the following:

1. wire external programming buttons (which are included on the face of the G2X, but not the IQ3).
2. tap into the TPS and RPM at the DME for an OBDI 1995 993 (any help on pin locations or wire colors would be helpful). I'm assuming that the IQ3 will be equipped out-of-the-box to tap into RPM, but imagine I'll need an additional harness of some sort to tap into TPS.
3. cheapest way to monitor braking. I suppose you could just use the included G readings to determine braking zones, but wondering what is required to get to the next level of specificity. Would a cheaper string/linear potentiometer do the job, or do you need to spend the $$ for a pressure sensor plumbed into the brake hydraulics)?

Does the group buy include some type of discount on other Racepak products (e.g. 4 channel universal sensor module, or additional sensors)?

Quick Reply: Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER