Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Tony:

Do you happen to know exactly what additional items from the base IQ3 package that would need to be purchased in order to do the following:
1. wire external programming buttons (which are included on the face of the G2X, but not the IQ3).
>> From the first post in this thread:
In-car programming and control of both units is via two programming buttons. The G2X has these buttons on the display itself, but for the IQ3 the buttons need to be mounted remote from the display. The two switches are not provided with the IQ3. There are two options:
- Racepak provides a program button set with a harness. PN 280-SW-IQ3BTN @ $99.00 from OG Racing.
- You can use any momentary on switch to do this. Please don't use Radio Shack rubbish, but any decent switches will do. The best place to mount them is on the console behind the shifter, where you can reach them with your harnesses cinched up.

2. tap into the TPS and RPM at the DME for an OBDI 1995 993 (any help on pin locations or wire colors would be helpful). I'm assuming that the IQ3 will be equipped out-of-the-box to tap into RPM, but imagine I'll need an additional harness of some sort to tap into TPS.
>> DME Pin 6 is where you'll get RPM for your car. Use a simple wire tap to connect the RPM lead from the IQ3 harness.
>> TPS is easy too. Not sure of the pin number on the 993 DME, but you can tap into the car's TPS the same way. The voltages on my TPS are something like 0.24V - 3.4V, but Datalink converts that to 0-100%. [see below for more on this].
3. cheapest way to monitor braking. I suppose you could just use the included G readings to determine braking zones, but wondering what is required to get to the next level of specificity. Would a cheaper string/linear potentiometer do the job, or do you need to spend the $$ for a pressure sensor plumbed into the brake hydraulics)?
>> The cheapest way is to log brake switch. That will give you positive brake on-off. Next step up is to log brake pressure, which requires a brake pressure sensor.
The 4 channel USM is the cheapest way to go for TPS and brake switch [or brake pressure] and gives you capacity for two more channels.

Does the group buy include some type of discount on other Racepak products (e.g. 4 channel universal sensor module, or additional sensors)?
>> OG Racing may give us a cut on sensors, but their margins are lower on those components so it won't be as deep as the base units.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As the "sponsor" of the group buy, I figured I should probably chime in

Before we get to business, I want to thank Tony for beginning this buy and answering everyone's questions about the Racepak units. I hate to say it, but Tony is much more knowledgeable about this stuff then I, having tested and compared so many of the Data Acquisition units out there!

We've reached the necessary number of participants - if you're interested in getting in on this deal, send an e-mail to steve (at) ogracing.com or call me at 1.800.934.9112.

And pricing on sensors - as Tony just mentioned, we can't offer the same discount on the sensors as the same unit. But, I'll do my best to "nudge" the prices for anyone who is interested. E-mail me, tell me what else you're looking for, and we'll talk

Thanks!

-Steve
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Last edited by OGRacing; 05-21-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: status change
Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order placed for iq3, shipping out today!

Last edited by Giacomo; 05-21-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Looks like we have the magic numbers [assuming Greg & Mike confirm] so that's good news.
Steve is now on the thread, but please email Steve@OGRacing.com to get into the deal.
We just talked and Steve is busy filling orders. One early bird has picked up his new G2X from OG, and is taking it to VIR for the weekend! OG will be holding the GB open for a few days at least, so its not too late to get in on this deal.

Questions are welcome, of course.

Last edited by APKhaos; 05-21-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As Tony said, we've reached the necessary number of participants. If you're ready to order (and want me to ship today) give me a call!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

I have decided that I am also going buy an IQ3. I finally was able to take some time this afternoon to call Racepak to ask a few more questions and I have determined that this unit is the best fit for what I am looking for. The only bummer is that the manufacturer's warranty is only 6 months, however, I suppose it is possible that the warranties on data logging equipment from other manufacturers aren't longer than 6 months . . . but I have not been able to look into this.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just ordered the IQ3 from Steve. Thanks for the great price, and thanks to DanR for the idea.

Mike
Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
DanR
Drifting

no worries buddy, glad you got what you wanted (plus Tony did all the work!)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Hey guys - full disclosure follows.......

I'm leaving early AM Friday to sail a boat from the Chesapeake Bay up to New England. The forcast looks almost too good at present, and if it holds I should be back here sometime Tuesday.

Please don't hesitate to email or call Steve@OGRacing.com if you have questions between Friday and Tuesday.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We've so far had a great response to this groupbuy - Thank you Rennlist, and thank you Tony!

For the sake of creating a deadline, we've decided to end the deal on Friday, May 29th - let's say Noon EST. If you are still interested, please contact me before that time.

-Steve
Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrgh! I just bought one about 6 weeks ago for a friend of mine from you guys.

Anyway, do you where to connect the tach wire to an OBDII port for a 996 GT3? I thought that I heard it can easily be done.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by APKhaos
I'm leaving early AM Friday to sail a boat from the Chesapeake Bay up to New England. The forcast looks almost too good at present, and if it holds I should be back here sometime Tuesday.
Tony, how was your sailing trip??

Jeff
Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
Tony, how was your sailing trip??

Jeff
I said, "The forecast looks almost too good at present.." It was. We left Lewes, DE around 8PM Friday in great weather with a good 15kt wind in the Atlantic. By midnight, the wind had dropped dramatically. By morning we were in a flat calm and heavy fog with low temps. Cold and wet. The fog filled in harder. Visibility was down to 100 yards, and that's the way it stayed for 36 hours!

We finally made it into Stonnington, CT early Sunday AM after a lot of motoring and instrument flying [radar can save your life in conditions like this]. Oh, and it rained like hell on the way into the mooring in Stonington!

Sunday afternoon after the storm was perfect. Its a beautiful place, and the boat is up there for the summer. Maybe I'll get back up there for some real sailing before the summer's over.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Sorry to hear about the trip. Although, I guess it was nice to really get some value out of the radar system!!

I am going to PM you regarding some further questions about your Track Vision software and some guidance on the proper digital video capture system for my car.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

HELP !!!

Do I want the Racetek or the Traqmate ??

HELP !!!

I'm an instructor for DE; not a racer -- if that's meaningful

Quick Reply: Racepak G2X and IQ3 Data Logger Group Buy NOW OVER