Sponsored by:

Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:07 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc

Found some cheap Cayman S's (06's)...interested in converting one to a street legal track day car for my pops to play with. Reinforced roll bar, new susp, faty slicks and strip the hell out of it

Anyone else playing with these? Should be well under $40k with lightweight wheels and new sticker slicks (would not drive to the track on them obviously), roll bar and some better susp.

Input/comments?

Other alternative would be to grab a cheap 05 GT3 for under $60k and strip it and just slap some sticky tires on. Done
Old 05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Cayman S is a helluva track car in street form. I would imagine in track-ready form it would be stupendous.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
95m3racer
Pro

He has other cars to track/race, but I want something he can have fun with and just "drive" and not worry about it. The Cayman is cheap enough to start, and would not take much to make a lot faster. Figure the interior alone is probably good for 200+ lbs in savings, swap on some lightweight body components (have not researched, just toying with the idea right now), but i imagine you can get the car pretty light in street trim...3000 stock, right?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
He has other cars to track/race, but I want something he can have fun with and just "drive" and not worry about it. The Cayman is cheap enough to start, and would not take much to make a lot faster. Figure the interior alone is probably good for 200+ lbs in savings, swap on some lightweight body components (have not researched, just toying with the idea right now), but i imagine you can get the car pretty light in street trim...3000 stock, right?
I really don't know what they weigh stock, but am guessing that is about right. The CDI (who posts here) of one of the PCA chapters I do advanced instructing for has one he brings out when he doesn't drive his RS America race car. All he does is slap R-comps on it & it is good to go. He & I always have a good dice when I am in my M3. He has more power, at probably the same weight, but I have a better suspension. With 200 fewer pounds and a proper suspension, poof he'd be gone!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was one of these that used to show up regularly at track days in the UK. IIRC it was trucked in, had a stripped interior, a cage, ran slicks and ... oh yea, it was very quick.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

several in FL and they are weapons when dressed out. I know a few that have all the goodies and they absolutely rock. However and a very big one at that oil remains an issue (or lack of it). most have equiped their drain pans with baffles and even with that I have been on the receiving end of the james bond smoke screen AKA Ka-boom. I am likely in he minority but if Porsche fitted a drysump 3.6 with LSD they would absolutely kick @ss in stock trim now add slicks put in suspension BAM instant killer

disclosure: while not an owner of a reptile I am a fan.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It's all wrong for track use. It's all mid-engined, powerful and balanced. Useless. But if you already have it, I will help you out by giving you my 944 as a straight swap for it.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

They are awesome race/track cars, probably the better platform Porsche builds (dont tell the CupCar guys)

Mine (H Stock racecar) is probably the extreme of what you will like to do (http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...ub-racing.html), but if I were just building one just for kicks (not following any race class rules) at a low expense I would do the following:

- Get as much weigh off as possible (everything will be better with lower weight: engine, brakes, suspension)
- GT3 Cup control arms (you need more camber and some more caster up front)
- Better rear toe links (as with any 996/997 GTx)
- LSD (I's a must if you are running tracks with 2nd gear hairpins, plus the rear end becomes alive)
- (Optional) Stiffer Springs and double adjustable shocks (lower ride height and corner weight)
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

THIS yellow Cayman S was successfully campaigned in PCA club racing a few years ago.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 464 Posts

There's a Cayman spec racing class forming in this area...

http://caymanspec.com/
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Get an underdrive pulley to help save your power steering system. It's a known weakness on the 986/987 platforms.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Get an underdrive pulley to help save your power steering system. It's a known weakness on the 986/987 platforms.
What's the issue with the power steering? Is it an issue for DEs and autocross, too?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Found some cheap Cayman S's (06's)...interested in converting one to a street legal track day car for my pops to play with. Reinforced roll bar, new susp, faty slicks and strip the hell out of it

Anyone else playing with these? Should be well under $40k with lightweight wheels and new sticker slicks (would not drive to the track on them obviously), roll bar and some better susp.

Input/comments?

Other alternative would be to grab a cheap 05 GT3 for under $60k and strip it and just slap some sticky tires on. Done
What is your definition of cheap. I have not seen these under $40k. I would be in if I could fine one close to $30k.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
What's the issue with the power steering? Is it an issue for DEs and autocross, too?
Basically the power steering pump runs hot and the fact that the plastic coupling for the tubing is about an inch from the engine eventually causes the coupling to fail. When it does, you'll lose your power steering fluid, and depending on your luck, you'll have to replace your power steering rack.

Yes, it will happen in a DE. It would be pretty unlikely in an autocross though.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Cayman S is a helluva track car in street form. I would imagine in track-ready form it would be stupendous.

i agree.
had a cayman s track car/street car. lot of fun
if you lose 300-500lbs, it would be a blast.
run motorsport oil air separator
add sump extension.
run smaller drive pulley so your pwr steering will not fry itself up or do an electric power str pump to run it.

Quick Reply: Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc