Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The Cayman will make an excellent track car. Try www.caymanclub.net for advice as peopleon this website have been experimenting with the Cayman since it came out.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Spencer at Farnbacher Loles. They brought one down for the 48 Hours this year. Seemed to have some issues throughout the weekend but I know they've done a lot of prep on that car...
Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cayman is agreat track car, It is way fun to drive. As all cars have a few issues that need to be addressed so does the cayman. When pushed to 9/10ths the power steering gets hot. Other than that it is a great car. It is a boxster with more head room and a stiffer design.

If you ever need to talk about one just send me a message
Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

if you are remotely fast, you will have power steering issue, trust me. i got three cay s. more than 10,000 track miles on them. it can be resolved. spencer knows how. worst comes to worst, just install electric PS from the cup cars.

if you are REALLY fast and get it sideways to certain degree, you will lose your braking, i mean ALL BRAKING. this is true with 997 as well. thus grand am cars all had i think bosch abs unit. but that thing is over $10k, i mean way over $10k.

spencer *** at FL knows these car very very well. if you are seriously tracking or racing this thing, i wouldn't build one until you have a good conversation with him and figure out the details.

on, on hard left hander, you will puff smoke. you need motorsport air oil separator, easy fix.

need a deeper oil pan, preferably with baffle, just in case.

other than these issues, the chassis and handling of the car is amazing. and i spoke with several porsche pro drivers.... guess which car (if both had the same engine/gear box) they would much rather race?!

i hpe i am not scaring you off. the car is indeed very very good.

also, now that boxster spec cars and stock class cars are being raced in CA and TX (about 30 cars total now), whatever prob they have will most likely apply to caymans. so follow those cars and get the solutions.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bosch Motorsport M4 system is $8k USD all inclusive (plus install). You can "motorsport" built ABS setups from places like ApexSpeed for less though, and he has porsche plug and play setups now.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i didn't know that. but that's a great find!
however, it is still $8000.

cay is neutral like m3 (since your handle shows 95m3, for comparison i ran a e36m3 with moton and square tire set up). but much more tossable, much more nimble and MUCH more fun.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring this back, but still debating if its worth it...seems a early/mid 2000's Gt3 street car would make for a much easier track rat. they are going for around 50, and about 10k should make it very track ready (tires, aero, suspension, etc).

Seems most of the issues that would need to be resolved on the cayman are not found on the gt3 street/track idea.

Also considering an M3, E46 m3's are cheap now, and for $30k you can have a really simple track car to beat on. Just need to prep the engine a bit for safety factor.

one of the current track rats is a modified 355 challenge, but its too much work to keep running, and parts get more and more expensive. But that car can take some serious abuse, is a lot of fun and is just a great looking car. This is the car on blown shocks with 2 year old tires...just took it out for some fun, but it was a bit sketchy. I recently did ohlins on it, and put the car on a diet, so we'll see how it does next time out....but i would like the owner to be in a car thats easier to run, beat on, and repair/maintain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyJYsbnXU4
Old 07-16-2009, 12:55 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 95m3racer
Sorry to bring this back, but still debating if its worth it...seems a early/mid 2000's Gt3 street car would make for a much easier track rat. they are going for around 50, and about 10k should make it very track ready (tires, aero, suspension, etc).

Seems most of the issues that would need to be resolved on the cayman are not found on the gt3 street/track idea.

Also considering an M3, E46 m3's are cheap now, and for $30k you can have a really simple track car to beat on. Just need to prep the engine a bit for safety factor.

one of the current track rats is a modified 355 challenge, but its too much work to keep running, and parts get more and more expensive. But that car can take some serious abuse, is a lot of fun and is just a great looking car. This is the car on blown shocks with 2 year old tires...just took it out for some fun, but it was a bit sketchy. I recently did ohlins on it, and put the car on a diet, so we'll see how it does next time out....but i would like the owner to be in a car thats easier to run, beat on, and repair/maintain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyJYsbnXU4
1. there are no early 2000 GT3's. they are only made in 04 and 05. and there are very very very few 05. so most likely you will be seeing 04's

2. you dont need aero, it comes with it. you dont need suspension until you get used to the car. the stock suspension is quite good. better than 95% of the GT3 drivers.

3. e30, e36, e46 e90, e92 m3 dont come REMOTELY close to the 996gt3 period. yes, i am a bimmerhead as well.

4. 355 challenge car is not to be compared with 996gt3. a 360 or 430 challenge yes.

5. cayman is pretty incredible, but depending what you plan to do to the cars. if you aren't modding the hell out of it, the GT3 is perhaps a better buy. i still can't decided so i keep switching b /n cayman and GT3. u dont want to know how many examples of each i have had. BE SCARED, VERY SCARED.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh God , Please Please talk to my son !

Educate him as to what a good son does !

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JerryW
Oh God , Please Please talk to my son !

Educate him as to what a good son does !

??? u lost me.
btw, were you at the PRC race (infineon) last months? i was in the lone BSR. dont recall seeing your car?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

The OP posted that he wanted to buy the Cayman for his dad and race prep it -- Somehow we need to get this concept through to MY son too !

I was at Infineon playing in the mid-pack of the 944s (We chatted at the drivers meeting if I remember rightly)
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

The OP posted that he wanted to buy the Cayman for his dad and race prep it -- Somehow we need to get this concept through to MY son too !
me 2. though my son is just 7 months old. so i got a looooooooooong way to wait.

I was at Infineon playing in the mid-pack of the 944s (We chatted at the drivers meeting if I remember rightly)
we got to match faces to cars. i think i know who you are but didn't match the car to the face.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Makes sense - let me find a photo that doesn't embarrase me
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick glance at fleabay has low mileage 06s for mid 30k. Dang, I may give this a look for the next toy
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe a used 996 with oiling mods is the way to go? Or a spec barbie...

Should have money left over for mods either way.

-td

Quick Reply: Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc