Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on the PDK transmission. With launch control it seems to be a pretty stout transmission. Very quick shifts too.

The only problem with the PDK is you need to buy an 09 car.

Haven't really seen and PCA rules prohibiting automatics in club racing I wonder if it will change.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Paddle shifting automatics have been the mainstay of other racing leagues for years. It's the way of the future, I suppose. It sure is nice being able to downshift into a corner with the flick of your thumb and both hands firmly on the wheel.

Will make drag racing rather boring as a competitive sport, at least from the driving skills aspect. Between traction control, launch control and double clutch... hold the wheel straight and push on the gas as hard as possible?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarification, not buying it for him...just helping him find another toy.

Actually had a 360 challenge with gt aero package, it was fast but harder to drive at the limit and took a lot to get it setup.

I recently built a set of custom Ohlins for the 355 challenge, so i'm going to have that out to test at the end of this season hopefully, it should make a huge difference (also dropped about 125lbs from the car).

The 355 ch, when lightened up, is actually a fantastic car and I would put it up against a stock cup car from the same time period...remember its a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD CAR!

Only bad part about it is when it does need service/parts, they are stupid expensive.

I want him to get something that he can not hesitate to take out and beat on any time, and not have to worry about how much or how long it would take to repair or maintain it.

If the Cayman needs this kind of work on steering (power steering would be easy to retrofit probably though, i know of some really nice electric steering units), and the engine issues some people have stated...its a but worrysome.

I'm leaning towards something powered by a small 4 banger motor at this point, something very light (around 1500-2000), but i have to see how he feels about such a small car.

Thanks for everyone's advice and info, i'll post what we figure out. Until then i'm finishing up my E46 racecar and getting the 355ch back on the road.

I would like him to end up with a gt3 street car prepped for the track, this way he could take it out on some weekends for fun...although there are some other cars in the stable that are more fun.

Next year I'm hoping to pickup a cheap 2 car open trailer and a pair of Spec Miata's to race in some regional SCCA races and the TeamDI Pro IT Series.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

^ lwt, i had two loti. exige and elise. both problem free, you need less mods to get them track ready than cayman s. you might want to look into those two toys.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ lwt, i had two loti. exige and elise. both problem free, you need less mods to get them track ready than cayman s. you might want to look into those two toys.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 PM
95m3racer
Pro

I know of a couple Exige Cup 255's for sale, definitely would go with them...but he's not too comfortable being in such a small car. Its my favorite though...best example of bare bones pure gokart, I want it badly!

There are a couple lotus motorsport cars that sold recently, 1500lbs, 250-275hp, just sicks. Two were center seat setups, that'd be my preference.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

switchcar (site sponsor) has three cup 255's!!! HEAVILY discounted.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Yep, i've spoken with them, nice guys. There are some other motorsport cars available too, 2 recently sold, 60-70k...problem is sourcing parts/rebuilds for those race motors.

I can get a nice cayman s for about 28k (wholesale connection), but i might rather get a 95 m3 ltw from a friend

Quick Reply: Cayman S as a trackday car? Stripped/etc