Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts
Default OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?

I'm looking at 2 different seats; OMP RS PT and Racetech 4009 Head Restraint for the 996. Anyone have either?

I've sat in the Racetech but not the OMP- it felt very good. Big delta in price though (the Racetech is 2 X the OMP). Both are f.glass so is it otherwise evident in the quality of the lay-up and/or hardware?

TIA
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've run with both. I liked both of them, here's what I felt were the big differences.

The OMP was had a couple years of use and the Racetech was pretty new.

The Racetech had a better finish in regards to the fabric and cushioning. The OMP's didn't feel as though it was holding up as well.

The OMP was just slightly wider (at least it felt a bit wider) than the Racetech. I ran the OMP in an enduro and was quite comfortable for the nearly 3 hour stints.

You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. I lean towards the Racetech just a bit, considering price. There are a number of 2008 dated seats still on shelves so there are deals to be had with the Racetechs.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

I cant say I have tried the OMP... but I have the RT4009WTHR (tall seat) and love it... very well made and the most comfortable seat I have tried.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My business partner just got the RT 4009W (fat guy model ) and I ordered 2 of the OMP RS PTs. The OMPs should arrive Friday and then I will sit in them both side by side for detailed analysis Obviously both are head restraint models of about the same weight, with OMPs being slightly less weighty. RT 4009s very nice and rigid in construction which is the first thing I want to compare. Have sat in the RT 4009Ws, very nice, but so were my friends OMPs so we will see which I prefer.

I got the OMPs for $629 delivered or roughly 1/2 the price of the RT 4009s here: http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...ts_omp&pid=727
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks- thats where I'm looking at them- Discovery. The price differential is what is kind of throwing me. Its not close and I thought OMP was pretty good seat.

Joe- when you say you lean towards the Racetech- you mean IN SPITE of price because its twice the OMP or that its worth it IYO?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be happy with either of them. I feel as though the Racetech was/would hold up a bit better.

I remember seeing some of the Racetechs on 'closeout' for about 1000 for the ones with a 2008 date. I think they are worth the extra 300 bucks in that sense. At 5-600 more it's a grey area.

I can see if I can scrounge a 2008 up for you, or you can check with Ron at Discovery and see if he has any of last years seats.. Shipping is always a big part of seats and with him being local that can make a good difference.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer. Right now I'm preparing the car from a recent purchase (totally stock) to Spec class racer so it needs EVERYTHING. $600 saved on seat is $600 towards, well, everything else.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

My business partner only went with the RTs due to their wider seat (the widest we found). He bought a car with great OMP Kevlar/Carbon, but they were too tight. Figured since he was changing, it was time to get a containment style and that narrowed the field considerably. I am really waiting too see how the OMPs rigidity compares to the RT.

My harnesses (G-Force) and Sparco FIA approved slider from discovery arrived yesterday, so I am hoping the seats also come in on time on Friday. As a side note, G-force may be reasonably priced but so far their 545 racing suit and Pro series harnesses seem to be very nice and competitive in build quality.

Discovery were very helpful, they had to call around to find the OMPs and the brackets for the RTs. Most stores just said "we are out", but Discvovery went and found what I needed now, and kept me informed of their progress.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

For what its worth I have two Racetech 4009's in my race car.....I am VERY happy with them....holding up nicely (not that old yet) and very comfortable..... I ended up getting the "W" model even though I'm 6' 200lbs....the standard model is just a bit too snug for me & the "W" is much easier to get in-out of....

I believe the Racetech seats are a combo of fiberglass-kevlar....and hold up very nicely in pretty severe accidents...which is why I went that route...I just don't feel right trying to save $$$ on safety....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Brian. I have Stand21 helmet and suit so safety (almost irrespective of cost) is indeed a big part of the equation.
If you're saying the Racetech is better built and safer then thats effectively the end of the discussion.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

The 4009 model is fiberglass the kevlar jobbers are some $$$ and are model #9009 and are otherwise identical. They cut the weight in half, unfortunately they lighten the wallet as well

Funny I just noticed several of the RT seats in the 4009 lineup are only FIA homologated WITH a back brace in use, check it out if you if are ordering other than the 4009 or 4009W, wonder why the change in the same basic seat?

http://www.racetechseatsna.com/back%20brace%20page.html
Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Seats delayed until Tuesday, the side by side comparison will have to wait until then.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
Thanks for the input Brian. I have Stand21 helmet and suit so safety (almost irrespective of cost) is indeed a big part of the equation.
If you're saying the Racetech is better built and safer then thats effectively the end of the discussion.
David
I can't say 100% that Racetech is safer than OMP....I'm sure they are both quite safe..... The Racetechs are a bit more expensive, but are used by top teams and come as standard equipment in the Comp Coupe Vipers & those have been tested to stupid high G's....90g I think?

When I bought my race car last October and picked my race shop to finish the work...I asked them which race seats they liked..... He said "racetechs" are the best, but they are expensive....thats all I needed to hear! I highly respect his opinion, as his shop won the 25 hours of Thunderhill in E2 class (spec miata) in 2008....so he see's lots of race cars that have been in accidents...
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I sat in the RT and loved the feel- if its arguably safer I'll go with it.
Now about belts- recommendations?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I sat in the RT and loved the feel- if its arguably safer I'll go with it.
Now about belts- recommendations?
Belts tend to vary quite a bit.....I have Sabelt in mine, but they will need replacement soon....I am quite happy with them

I drove a spec miata with scroth (misspelled) and it was okay, but I didn't like how the center locking mechanism worked as compared to the sabelt I have....the sabelt is a bit thicker and easier to get your hands on...vs the thinner scroth that kinda cut into my leg a bit more due to being so thin?

Quick Reply: OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?