Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:31 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Which seat compares to the evo 2/3? I have a fat ***.
Seriously. All the seats I have tried, including the Cobra (wide) have been too snug where even if I lose weight, it will still be tight.

And if you actually want to be comfortable, its almost useless.

Yes, I would expect a few "Lose some weight" comments. I am. But at 6'3", even when I was 220, I was still "wide" At 250, I am about as wide. The weight is... elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

How do these type seats compare with Kirkey aluminum ones. Other than the Al ones being heavier probably?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
Wonder what the effect will be on the others. Back brace attached to seat back, maybe??? I already see quite a few of the RT (another manuf. as well) seats only pass FIA with the brace. Seems like their 4009 and 4009 W pass without but the carbon fiber and taller ones need the brace.
Interesting that only a few years ago the seat back brace that was scoffed at by many is becoming more embraced. (pun intended) I would watch in car video of the cup car races and see the driver seats flexing side to side in amounts that seemed alarming to me. With seat back bracing becoming more prevalent is the multi point mount metal seat becoming a better choice?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrendanC
How do these type seats compare with Kirkey aluminum ones. Other than the Al ones being heavier probably?
At least you can get one fully fitted to You. Seat width, upper belt hole placement, and for the containment seats the halo and shoulder pads are ajustable for fit as well. I like the halo as rather than a flat vision blocking surface the Kirky is made so you can see through it. This lets Kirky make it deeper and not angled. This might be more likely to hold your head in place side to side rather than just redirect it as the angled and flexable plastic seat halos look to do. The Kirkys are made for multi point mounting so they might not be all that good in a dual use car as sliders would be out. Then again with the new FIA calling for more bracing it sounds like slider mounted seats are becoming old school.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:10 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

I always make the racing seats hard bolted down anyway.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Which Kirkey seats?

The cheap ones are crap. The fully supported road race ones are pretty good.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Road Race.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my OMP PT RSs arrived today and my friends M3 was outside with the Racetech 4009Ws as well. My observations:

1.The OMPs are a fully clothed raw fiberglass seat, where the RTs are gloss black gell coated, nothing important just whatever suits you.

2. The OMP is somewhat lighter but not much

3. RT containment "wings" are huge. OMPs are smaller than they look online. RTs size and vision obstruction rule out any street use (not good for me) and may take some getting use to on track. Will the RTs provide more containment??? Maybe.

4. RTs are much "longer" from the seat back to the front lip of the seat bottom. Something like 22" vs 17.5" for the OMP. You need to be long in the leg or the RTs will hit the back of your knee or calf...no good for us short squatty dudes. Would make driving for me difficult. Width not that different in seat and thigh, RT 4009 Ws are noticeably wider in the shoulders though

5. Both seats very rigid

6. RTs have somewhat more cushioning in bottom and sides, but both were comfortable

7. Bottom seat cushion and back insert removable on OMPS for cleaning, adding/changing padding???? Didn't look like RTs were removable

8. Materials similar, but RTs have nice wear patch on one edge. Nice, but I think it is in the wrong spot, should be on lower edge that you hit getting in and out.

9. I like the style of OMPs better, RTs a little "odd" shaped...but that's just me.

Rt are a nicer seat with some fit and finish pluses, but warranting double the price in my book. Both seats would give me a safe feeling driving a car at speed.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Brendan
I bought the "W" (wide) racetech 4009...its two inches wider across, but still only 16.5" vs the standard 14.5" I'm 6-1 195lbs with about a 33" waist....I can fit in the standard 14.5" seat buts it VERY snug to the point its uncomfortable.....my wide seat is GREAT..much more comfortable and easier to get into-out of....

If your ever in norcal just stop by the race shop in west sac...they'll let ya sit in ALL kinds of different seats....OMP-Recaro-Cobras & lots of Racetechs..the widow lives there and only leaves to go to the track!!! :>)

www.evilgeniusracing.com
Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

F350
The Racetech bottom cushion is removable, but its velcro'd in place and can be fairly hard to remove intially...whats also nice is the lower pads are available in several different thickness's for different drivers...I have the standard one and its fine for me....but for someone very tall you can remove it
Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Then again with the new FIA calling for more bracing it sounds like slider mounted seats are becoming old school.

They better not...I am 5"6" with short arms, my car will soon have double door bars, and I prefer a NASCAR like seating position, how the hell will my mechanic get into my car????? Never mind that, how the hell could I do an enduro with my 6'0" tall business partner who's favorite seating position is the "gang-banger recline"??

Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

F350
The Racetech bottom cushion is removable, but its velcro'd in place and can be fairly hard to remove intially...whats also nice is the lower pads are available in several different thickness's for different drivers...I have the standard one and its fine for me....but for someone very tall you can remove it

I though it might be, but it wasn't my car so I didn't tug on it!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad I ventured into this part of the forum. Seat shopping right now - good information in here. Bookmarked.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Brendan
I bought the "W" (wide) racetech 4009...its two inches wider across, but still only 16.5" vs the standard 14.5" I'm 6-1 195lbs with about a 33" waist....I can fit in the standard 14.5" seat buts it VERY snug to the point its uncomfortable.....my wide seat is GREAT..much more comfortable and easier to get into-out of....

If your ever in norcal just stop by the race shop in west sac...they'll let ya sit in ALL kinds of different seats....OMP-Recaro-Cobras & lots of Racetechs..the widow lives there and only leaves to go to the track!!! :>)

www.evilgeniusracing.com
Thanks Brian. 16.5 is better than many other seats, that I was aware of.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
Then again with the new FIA calling for more bracing it sounds like slider mounted seats are becoming old school.

They better not...I am 5"6" with short arms, my car will soon have double door bars, and I prefer a NASCAR like seating position, how the hell will my mechanic get into my car????? Never mind that, how the hell could I do an enduro with my 6'0" tall business partner who's favorite seating position is the "gang-banger recline"??

PCA NASA SCCA does not always = FIA. You might not need a seat back brace for a long time if ever.
I figured out how to have a seat back brace that moves with a slider. Requires carefull fab work but one lever to slide and lock both sliders and the brace.

I don't know of any FIA rated seats that recline but does not mean that there are not any.

I was working on a car for a friend that is a good bit shorter than me. Fixed halo seat, door bars, window net, lots of bar padding. While getting in once I got swisted up with one leg stuck under me and got a nasty cramp. Trying to free myself only pissed off the cramp but staying there was not helping it ether. Was sore for a couple of days once I extracted myself.

Quick Reply: OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?