Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent info here. I recently bought a car with an older, wide, non-halo seat, that I planned replace later. For now, I made a nice fiberglass lined foam insert & welded it to an OEM slider.

However, trying to get a NASA logbook, I learned that because the seat's >5 yrs old, a seat back brace is required. NASA also requires a center net for non-halo seats. Those 2 items add up to $200 that I could apply to a new seat.

After shopping around online, the OMP RS-PT seems like the best bang for the buck, especially with the free shipping offerred by Discovery and Apex.

I just noticed some shops advertising an OMP RS-PT2, still at $699. Anyone know anything about this???
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've raced in a car with that seat and loved it. I did a 3 hour stint and was comforatble the entire time.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RS P.T.2

The new RS-P.T. 2 is the latest model from OMP. It meets the latest FIA seat specs. We are in the process of updating our site to reflect this seat but if you order the RS-P.T. regular, you'll end up with the RS-P.T. 2. It's the same price with a better FIA spec.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I once had OMP Grip and OMP RS, which were quite comfortable. I just bought a Racetech RT4009HRV. It is much stronger, in torsion at least, than the OMP. I was imoressed byt the quality of the products. But I don't have anything bad to say about the OMP seats.

***I don't want to hijack the thread - but if you could help, it would be appreciated***

My problem is to fit the seat in the car (944) ... I'm using the recaro sliders. The seat cushion does not allow the use of the handle the sliders (the bar that connects both rails).

I could bolt it right in the floor, but I would prefer to keep the sliders, for ease of exit...

Any other solution thant those Recaro sliders?

Thanks

Charles
Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
The new RS-P.T. 2 is the latest model from OMP. It meets the latest FIA seat specs. We are in the process of updating our site to reflect this seat but if you order the RS-P.T. regular, you'll end up with the RS-P.T. 2. It's the same price with a better FIA spec.
This is good news! I assume I can apply my Rennlist 10% discount & still get free shipping. Do you have the RS-PT 2 in stock?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Also bear in mind anyone wanting to use a Halo seat in a car that gets street driven is in for a rude shock from my observations. I actually returned an OMP Halo for this reason. Reverse Parking or reversing in general is a nightmare, as is changing lanes in busy fast moving traffic. Be very wary of buying these based on looks alone. This is one Race Bling you want to avoid on the road.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
This is good news! I assume I can apply my Rennlist 10% discount & still get free shipping. Do you have the RS-PT 2 in stock?

The RS-PT2 is in stock and can ship today.

Agree - you should not use a headwrap seat on the street.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

This is all a lot of great info. A couple of us have been looking at a number of options. Finding the right size seems to be the most important aspect if the seats are created somewhat equal. The three of us range in weight from 150-170, from 5'9" to 5'11", waists from 32-34. Here is what we have found so far:

1. Recaro Pro Racer HANS - Too tight and too expensive
2. Sparco ProADV -- Too wide (cavernous)

We are wanting to try out a Sparco Circuit and an OMP HTE seat. Does anyone know how these might compare size-wise vs. the OMP RS-P.T.2 or the RaceTech? I'm looking at dimensions online, and it is rather difficult to compare as it doesn't seem there is a standard in where they are measured.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Hi Paul:
Sounds like we share the same measurements. I am 6'0" 175 and the Racetech RT4009HR fits me very well. Drove a car with this seat in it and this will be the seat I put in my 911 when I replace the current MOMO seat I have had for years. Definately try to sit in one at the track. I think you will like it.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Hi Paul:
Sounds like we share the same measurements. I am 6'0" 175 and the Racetech RT4009HR fits me very well. Drove a car with this seat in it and this will be the seat I put in my 911 when I replace the current MOMO seat I have had for years. Definately try to sit in one at the track. I think you will like it.
Instructing Viper Days and I think they have RaceTech built in. Thanks Mark.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pnorwood
Instructing Viper Days and I think they have RaceTech built in. Thanks Mark.
Yep, the Racetech RT4009HRV. V for Viper.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
V for Viper...
That's good enough for me!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

FWIW I have the OMP RS PT and it fits very well except the shoulder harness cut-outs are a little low and pressure my shoulders. Try before you buy. I did but without helmet and HANS.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

i did not read entire thread. did someone mention fia tests are at 20 g's racetech tests seats to 40g's iirc. Also, mounting seats properly ismoreimportant than what see is bought. RT has back brace section molded into the set which provided 2 factory mount points. I have not seen omps with that but i have not looked in a while. this factory brace section is very important especially after the 5 yr point. plastic seats should not be drilled and back braces resting freely on seats have issues.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
FWIW I have the OMP RS PT and it fits very well except the shoulder harness cut-outs are a little low and pressure my shoulders. Try before you buy. I did but without helmet and HANS.
I did notice the cutouts looked a bit big. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: OMP and Racetech seats- how do they compare?