Sponsored by:

Mid-Ohio Lap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mid-Ohio Lap

I had the opportunity to use a freinds GoPro to video a lap over the weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n40l45XRXAQ
Any constructive comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang! I've never taken a lap hanging out the drivers side window - that was different.
Not too bad - what was the lap time on that? 1:50 - 1:55 something?
R tires or street?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Barfly
Racer

First, I would look further ahead. Keep you eyes up and look through the apex to your exit. Second, make sure that you don't creep. You will lose a lot of corner speed by creeping a few feet off your turn-in point.

_____
Jason
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
sig_a
Pro

Looks like an even, smooth lap. Maybe too early/tight at about 1:06 between 7 and 8 at Madness? Could this have been caused by not being all the way over to the left entering 7? All that, and I'm no expert.

Brian Till video lap from Mid Ohio web page located under the tab "About Us"

https://www.midohio.com/About-Us/A-L...Mid-Ohio-Track
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Alan,
Kuhmo Victoracers

Jason,
Thanks I will work on your suggestions

Sig_a,
I worked with the Mid-Ohio instuctors a few years ago, they teach an early apex at 7 with hard acceleration to the bottom of 8, hard brake into 8, which in their opinion is a throw away corner. Allows for later braking into 7 more speed 7 to 8 and no loss in 8 which is a relatively slow corner already.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree that 8 is a throwaway corner at all. The faster you get through 8, the quicker you get to 11 (or is it 12?). Check out my enduro from last year. There is a little water running through the chicane, and at the inside of 8, but it should be representative.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I don't agree that 8 is a throwaway corner at all. The faster you get through 8, the quicker you get to 11 (or is it 12?). .

Agree completely.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I don't agree that 8 is a throwaway corner at all. The faster you get through 8, the quicker you get to 11 (or is it 12?). Check out my enduro from last year. There is a little water running through the chicane, and at the inside of 8, but it should be representative.
Larry, you're referring to turn 9, the right hander with the puddle at the apex in your video. This turn IS critical as you carry all the speed from here up through the esses to the braking zone for turn 11.

RDL is referring to turn 8 which is the left hander that goes up on entry and down on exit. The entry to this turn is a throw away due to all the speed you can carry through turn 7, the right hander at the end of the backstretch.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDL
Alan,
Kuhmo Victoracers

Jason,
Thanks I will work on your suggestions

Sig_a,
I worked with the Mid-Ohio instuctors a few years ago, they teach an early apex at 7 with hard acceleration to the bottom of 8, hard brake into 8, which in their opinion is a throw away corner. Allows for later braking into 7 more speed 7 to 8 and no loss in 8 which is a relatively slow corner already.

Thanks
+1 the "school line" vs. Porsche line as the MO school instructors like to say. the teach a more agressive line. I throw madness away as well. get r done making a straight line from 9 to 11.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Larry, you're referring to turn 9, the right hander with the puddle at the apex in your video. This turn IS critical as you carry all the speed from here up through the esses to the braking zone for turn 11.

RDL is referring to turn 8 which is the left hander that goes up on entry and down on exit. The entry to this turn is a throw away due to all the speed you can carry through turn 7, the right hander at the end of the backstretch.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 AM
sig_a
Pro

Never mind his speed, is Brian Till's video the right line? -- Click on link, then "full course w/chicane".
Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by sig_a
Never mind his speed, is Brian Till's video the right line? -- Click on link, then "full course w/chicane".
It's the same line I use.

______
Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by sig_a
He is running the race line, and in my opinion it is also the faster way around the course. He is protecting at the entry of 8 and at the entry of the carousel. Some will carry the entry of the carousel a little wider to try and get a better exit off of 15, but I think it is a wash as it gives a better shot at later, straight line braking by staying tight. Brian Till will tell you that you need to run tight regardless of the car you are driving, but I know some debate that.

_____
Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're apexing earlier than I have at 7, but it looks like something I want to try. I've experimented with gear selection in 7 (the Esses). Some drivers tell me they hunker down into 2nd and upshift after 8 while going under the bridge. I've tried but I'm not sure it's helping my speed. Seems I'm a little bogged down.

I know I can't compare my gears with other setups, but what I'm asking is.... are y'all using the same low gear you use on the Keyhole and Carousel in the Esses?

While I'm at it, I'll ask the same of turn 11 (turn before Thunder Valley straight). I've never tried to gear down there, I think I'm carrying too much speed... but I feel anemic going into Thunder Valley sometimes.

Thanks... and thanks for the video, RDL. I'll use it to prepare for the MORPCA May 15-17 DE.

Add: I watched the video again, very educational for a novice like me. You apex on 6 much earlier than I have and that's setting you up for the earlier apex on 7. Looks smooth. I'm gonna try it (don't tell my instructors, and hey, Frank, you didn't read it here)
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by 911vet
I've experimented with gear selection in 7 (the Esses). Some drivers tell me they hunker it down into 2nd there and upshift after 8 while going under the bridge. I've tried that but I'm not sure it's speeding me up. Seems I'm a little bogged down.

I know I can't compare my gears with other setups, but what I'm asking is.... are y'all using the same low gear you use on the Keyhole and Carousel in the Esses?

While I'm at it, I'll ask the same of turn 11 (turn before Thunder Valley straight). I've never tried to gear down there, I think I'm carrying too much speed... but I feel anemic going into Thunder Valley sometimes.

Thanks... and thanks for the video, RDL. I'll use it to prepare for the MORPCA May 15-17 DE. I can't wait!
I carry 3rd in those corners in a SRF and in a 350hp EVO.

I don't downshift for 11 in either car. It upsets the car too much. It is much easier to push closer to redline, tap the brake, and get back on the throttle and upshift at exit.

______
Jason

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio Lap