Sponsored by:

Mid-Ohio Lap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyruvate
I carry 3rd in those corners in a SRF and in a 350hp EVO.

I don't downshift for 11 in either car. It upsets the car too much. It is much easier to push closer to redline, tap the brake, and get back on the throttle and upshift at exit.

______
Jason
Jason, thanks for the info. I never tried a downshift at 11 and I think I would agree it could be unsettling. I just have to learn to carry the speed and get on the gas sooner to be faster in Thunder Valley.

I've typically been in 3rd through the Esses and Madness (6 - 11) but tried downshifting into 2nd at 7 a few times. I guess I need to keep experimenting.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

My observations... Need louder pipes! I can't hear the revs!

Seems like you can likely walk the Turn 1 apex back a bit... I was thinking you just weren't sticking the apex, till you grabbed it at the end of the curb!

As for that line through Madness... I was surprised to see you go all the way over to the left prior... not seen that before... I prefer to brake/apex later, track out most of the way to the LH side, then come back just a bit for better turn-in into Madness. Definitely not a complete throwaway, though - someone who doesn't hug the inside will scream right around the outside of you for the RH'er into the Esses (is that 9?) and deny you the apex. Maybe easier to watch than explain...

Definitely gotta straighten out those Esses. You're driving two distinct turns, a left then a right. If you find the right reference point on the horizon, it's a straight line.

Looks like you need to get more comfortable with the RH'er into Thunder Valley, though your marks look good - just seems like you don't yet have the confidence in where your track-out is, and so end up pinching it. That should come with experience.

Coming out of Thunder Valley, the LH'er over the crest of the hill (14?) - gotta let that puppy track out more, all the way to the curbing, maybe 4/5ths of the way down the curbing. You can carry a lot more speed, and get back on the gas briefly.

For comparision - here's me setting a lap record there (with apologies for the traffic blocking the view):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC7Cv...e=channel_page
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
Never mind his speed, is Brian Till's video the right line? -- Click on link, then "full course w/chicane".
Yes. But what is not obvious is how far he is staying off certain apexes. If you look closely you will see that he is about 1/2 car width off of 3 (first left side apex in the bus stop section of the keyhole) and 10b (the right hand apex) which sets you up for a balanced entry into 11.

Once you stay off the apex at 3, you discover you can go in much faster and get on power much sooner. That alone is usually worth almost 2 seconds when folks figure out that part.

11 is much faster than most people will take it. It is an INCREASING radius corner so (taken at full speed) you will be sliding until you get to the apex then it opens up. If you are aligned with the V in the treeline at the apex, you are good to go. If not, then you better start adjusting quickly and back off.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark,
You are correct with your assessment of the chicane and getting back on the power sooner. Additionally most people don't go thru the keyhole anywhere near as quickly as you can. I have found the proper line will allow you to be full throttle very early and have 5 to 10mph more at the end of the back straight.

11 is where I tend to whimp out. I drive my car to and from the track and I've seen too many cars get banged up at 11. I ease up a bit and apex a little later as a safety factor. This is DE afterall and 7/10ths is all I'm prepared to do. This is also reflected in many other turns in the video.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that there is much to be gained by downshifting to second at 11, it's just a matter of stabilizing the car before turn in, it does require a quick shifter just over the hill though. I was there fri thru sunday (6+ hours of drive time). Gray 944 turbo with the orange splitter.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
I think that there is much to be gained by downshifting to second at 11, it's just a matter of stabilizing the car before turn in, it does require a quick shifter just over the hill though. I was there fri thru sunday (6+ hours of drive time). Gray 944 turbo with the orange splitter.
2nd gear is pretty low for that corner. I am at or near redline entering the braking zone, in the 2 car examples I provided, while in 3rd gear. I tap the brake making the braking zone very short. That corner is very fast, and as Mark said it opens up beyond the apex allowing you to carry more speed than you would think.

______
Jason
Old 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I will have to try to carry more speed.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That would never work in my car. There is tons of speed in that corner. I strongly suspect that you're overslowing the car going to 2nd gear. When in doubt try to find the speed that makes the higher gear work for you.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Are you downshifting to second at the end of the long straight or before madness?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Are you downshifting to second at the end of the long straight or before madness?
Nope. I don't use 2nd gear at all at Mid Ohio unless forced to by traffic.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
I had the opportunity to use a freinds GoPro to video a lap over the weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n40l45XRXAQ
Any constructive comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Watching that video, all I can think is 'so that's why dogs hang their heads out the window!' Interesting perspective having the camera looking over the outside mirror; most of the videos we see are from inside of the car.
BTW - looks like a great track; I'll have to try it some day.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disasterman;
I'm with Jim on this- his car is worlds faster than mine, and I'm never in second gear unless balked by someone. I'm usually redlined in third coming into the braking for 11, and grab 4th at track out in Thunder Valley.
'83 NA w/ all of 130 hp, btw.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
You running the Club Race in two weeks at Mid Ohio?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
Jim,
You running the Club Race in two weeks at Mid Ohio?
Nope. I'll be at Putnam with NASA. I really wish they weren't scheduled for the same weekend, otherwise I'd be doing both.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Disasterman;
I'm with Jim on this- his car is worlds faster than mine, and I'm never in second gear unless balked by someone. I'm usually redlined in third coming into the braking for 11, and grab 4th at track out in Thunder Valley.
'83 NA w/ all of 130 hp, btw.
+1 to that; I actually have to soft-pedal it going in there, hold it on the redline for a few breaths, then do my turn in - that's why my entry there seems so soft in the video above.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio Lap