Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a factor is personal body weight in car racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Einstein, You have got to be kidding me!

EDIT; If we are talking same weight cars AND this is with their drivers, then yes, i would imagine that the heavier driver might be more of a handling disadvantage in a SRF or formula car because of optimal center of mass trade offs. I dont know, I would have to go through the calculations. As it is now, most formula cars have their drivers pretty low in the car. I would think that the handling effects might even be a trade off on both styles. I couldnt say definitively one way or the other. But if you have the data, lets see it!

mk

And, in one post, Mark contradicts himself & validates my point.

PS: I understand WC quite well, sparky.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

In Pro Atlantic, the car is weighed with driver. This is a result of the series making the cars as equal as possible (ala Danica P when she raced Atlantic).

Then there is the creativeness as to where to stick ballast, we specified this as well. Ballast must be placed at the driver CG, transversely on each side of the drivers belly button (using spec ballast plates in a spec location provided by the racecar constructor) therefore eliminating the advantage of a horse jockey driver.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

But Chris, let's say a driver is heavy enough that he doesn't need ballast and is 20# over the minimum required post race weight in an Atlantic. What would the extra 20# translate to in lost time on a track such as Laguna with elevation changes and heavy braking zones?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Consider salads...
You don't even know the half of it man.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
30.5 second laps- which track in SoCal is that? an indoor place?
Originally Posted by Pete
It's got to be? F1 in Carlsbad perhaps?

I think Perris is around 50 sec. Depending on configuration, Fontana is 1 min.
Perris? I should go check that out. K1 speed in Carlsbad looks like a 28 or 29 fast lap. I was lapping at 30.5. Electric carts (laugh, I know - but its fun)

Miramar speed circuit, closer to my house, is a 29.9 fast lap on the new configuration. I just broke into 34. These are gas karts, however, which have less torque.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
In Pro Atlantic, the car is weighed with driver. This is a result of the series making the cars as equal as possible (ala Danica P when she raced Atlantic).

Then there is the creativeness as to where to stick ballast, we specified this as well. Ballast must be placed at the driver CG, transversely on each side of the drivers belly button (using spec ballast plates in a spec location provided by the racecar constructor) therefore eliminating the advantage of a horse jockey driver.
OK, now you've gotten me thinking about Danica's belly button.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW (not much, maybe my butt isn't well trained) I can't notice a weight difference on track unless it is above 100 lbs.
Then the transitions seem a bit more wallowy, and the wheel effort increases.

1982 514HP 930 track car.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
But Chris, let's say a driver is heavy enough that he doesn't need ballast and is 20# over the minimum required post race weight in an Atlantic. What would the extra 20# translate to in lost time on a track such as Laguna with elevation changes and heavy braking zones?
With a car such as the current Atlantic chassis that has tons of DF, at Laguna, lets say, lap time hasnt been much different between the heavy weights and the ballast users. That said, a short twisty street circuit certainly favors less weight.

Its hard to quantify this as all drivers (and teams) are of a different caliber. Given equal cars and driver talent, 20 pounds is significant.

Now that said, lighter weight is, perhaps, more sensitive in a lighter racecar as its a larger % of the sprung mass.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

You didnt read post #10 did you?
You pushed the apple cart down the hill, not me.

Ill give you the cliff notes, since you are consistant with your level of comprehension.

If we are talking the same total weight cars then you are right, but if not then......... You came back with ..........." Not true". In the end, you were talking same weight, different distribution (center of mass), but since you made the statement of my post not being true, I assumed you were talking about driver weight over equal car vehicle weights.

In otherwords, I said you are right as long as we are talking driver and car weights. If not, (like Indy) its not true as a heavy paul tracy would have to run against a Danica Patrick and the overall weight would be unfair.

mk

Here the two original posts . VR vs MK

VR's Original Post:
Quote:
In an SRF or open wheel/formula-type car, driver weight is a major factor. In a sedan-type car, not so much, unless the driver is 500 lbs, IMO.

Then, my response:
Quote:
Only if the class weight is with driver like speedGT/Touring. But, in Indy, look at the advantage Danica has with being 90lbs vs 200lb guys! 100lbs trying to get to 220mph is significant, in either a HP measure or rear wheel Torque!
(not to mention cornering and braking)
They should toss Mika into Danicas car for her races to make it fair for the big men of the series.

Then, VR came back with:

Um....not true. A hugely heavy drover is much worse for center of mass, etc. than ballasting to the same total weight, or than a light drover in very lightweight or underpowered cars, IMO.

What we have here is a failure to communicate!

And, in one post, Mark contradicts himself & validates my point.

PS: I understand WC quite well, sparky.

Last edited by mark kibort; 05-05-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Yup. They are built to run sprint races. You have to remove the tail to fill them, and as you observed, the fill is in a very nasty place. Not a big deal when you have hours between sessions but pretty scary when you are trying to fuel between quick sessions.
That's why we fitted a dry break fuel filler to our enduro 'spec' racer ford And a larger fuel cell, which meant we moved the drover 2" forward...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hey Robert,
Moving the driver 2" forward in an SRF would probably give you a huge improvement in handling over the "stock" SRF, unless the additional fuel weight offset the gain? We used to run the 24 Hours of Moroso. Fun time. SRFs were like the LMP cars out there. Most of the other production-based cars might pull us on the straight, but we'd definitely get 'em under braking and in the turns. Additionally, we were so much more reliable than most of the others we spent a lot less time in the pits.

Most race engineers will tell you that the driver is the biggest PITA they have to design around. (Aerospace engineers say the same thing about pilots by the way ;-) ). You have to have a man-sized hole right in a place where the chassis really could use the stiffness which drives suspension compromises, the weight is up too high and it's in the wrong place for weight and balance, and you have to include a lot of clap-trap and compromises to keep him safe and in control.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Also, James Clay is 270+ pounds.
lol, he's tubby but not THAT big...not that i have any room to talk
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmwhite
lol, he's tubby but not THAT big...not that i have any room to talk
He's "big boned". You...you're just...you.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tocho1
Yes, I'm a "big" guy and I like racing...and I keep hearing about the importance of weight in cars but not so sure how do you translate that into time.

Say two similar "fast" drivers, one that weights 250lbs (like me) and another one that weights say 150lbs, race each other in similar cars..what would the time difference be? Does it vary with the track? Does it matter what type of cars they drive? Etc...

I'm not looking for an excuse not to diet, which I need to (), but just curious...

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks in advance
In theory the 250lbs driver will always be slower than the 150 lbs driver. The reason could be a straight 100lbs weigth difference or 100lbs of less than optimal ballast.

Now we don't race in theory so in practice is it much much more complicated. The best way to limit the advantage is to make class weight car + driver. In this way both cars could race at the same weight (maybe). If they do then most differences are eliminated, but what remain is were the 150lbs driver can put ballast to improve the car.

So in the end the 250lbs will never have an advantage, but rules and good planning can minimize most of the disadvantages. If you can get the disadvantages less than the driver variation you are looking good.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Anyone do the Karting in South Sanfrancisco? .It was my first time My times were 30.1 and 27.95 for the monza and yokohama tracks. The guy I took 2nd behind was running 29.90 and 27.10. He had 35 days on the track and ranked in the 99% of all time. They track 10s of thousands of times too. pretty well organized karting establishiment.

mk
Yes, I was there on Saturday. First time ever. I only ran the Yokahama track. One 15min practice session, then a 20 min race. My best lap was 27.80s. I'm 6'1" + 175lbs. Only been on a kart twice in my life.

But...since my fastest lap occurred on lap-25 of the race, after 674 picograms of sweat had evaporated off my body, we can conclude that weight is more significant than hydration using the formula u = Wr^17 + (1/P), where P = pearshapedness. Q.E.D.

PS: Yes I had too much coffee this morning. But my first paragraph is true, and I agree it is a nice facility.

Quick Reply: How much of a factor is personal body weight in car racing?