Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a factor is personal body weight in car racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
He's "big boned". You...you're just...you.
i'm festively plump...
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by srf506
Hey Robert,
Moving the driver 2" forward in an SRF would probably give you a huge improvement in handling over the "stock" SRF, unless the additional fuel weight offset the gain? We used to run the 24 Hours of Moroso. Fun time. SRFs were like the LMP cars out there. Most of the other production-based cars might pull us on the straight, but we'd definitely get 'em under braking and in the turns. Additionally, we were so much more reliable than most of the others we spent a lot less time in the pits.
Well, the extra fuel weight didn't stick around for the full driving stint, so at least part of the time we enjoyed the weight xfer forward. The NASA 25 hour includes everything from Miatas & first gen RX7s to GT3s, a Daytona prototype, radicals, etc. So we had to watch our six! We were also making about 30% more power than an SRF, so didn't have to work as hard to pass the Miatas
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Now, all we need to do is find some scuba weights we can put in our pockets to see what 20lbs actually does on the kart tracks. . I think I might bring some next time the boys get together and do some karting.

mk

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Yes, I was there on Saturday. First time ever. I only ran the Yokahama track. One 15min practice session, then a 20 min race. My best lap was 27.80s. I'm 6'1" + 175lbs. Only been on a kart twice in my life.

But...since my fastest lap occurred on lap-25 of the race, after 674 picograms of sweat had evaporated off my body, we can conclude that weight is more significant than hydration using the formula u = Wr^17 + (1/P), where P = pearshapedness. Q.E.D.

PS: Yes I had too much coffee this morning. But my first paragraph is true, and I agree it is a nice facility.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Does driver weight have a greater affect horsepower or torque?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Gregg - didja have to? I mean, really?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Gregg - didja have to? I mean, really?
No kidding. You say potato, I say spud.

A few years ago I started up a Kart night at the local indoor track. There was much dithering about driver weight and how to compensate for the group that went from "big boned" to keebler cookie baker. We let drop-ins run with us without counting them in the standings. One night we had a guy drop in that was a good solid 210#. He mopped up the place by a wide margin. Come to find out he was the Brazil national Kart champ. Skill matters even in Karts as I bet he was racing against munchkins along the way and still won.

I bet that for most of us mortals the 100 pounds in question being high or low matters little and could be negated one way or the other by ether muffing or nailing a single corner well. 100 pounds + or - the other guys total car/driver in a 2800 pound car with = skill cars and drover should matter.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Yes it does.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
i'm festively plump...

LMAO! I will keep that phrase in mind...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Just to disagree, but be more accurate..... NO.

mk

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

I'm not going to read 4 pages but if it hasn't already been said (which I'm sure it has), losing weight makes a massive difference. Not only does it drop weight from the car, but it gives you better stamina. Being more fit keeps you feeling 100% for longer which affects your decision-making abilities and keeps you mentally sharp.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 AM
OJ GTS
Advanced

I'll add my tuppence as a former Caterham racer turned British Carrera Cup driver. I'm 6'5" and about 100-110 kilos (or 220-240 pounds in old money) depending on the time of year, position of the moon etc.

In the Caterham, which has the driver sitting almost on top of the rear axle and a 605 kilo minimum weight with driver, which equated to about a 20 kilo disadvantage for me, straight line speed was affected minimally, even in a lowered powered category. I could still keep up even out of some slower corners and on the longer straights I could still use the slipstream.

What was really affected was the left/right balance, especially with regards to traction. On slow, tight, left hand hairpins I would always struggle for traction against lighter drivers. On the flipside, on slow right handers I'd have a minor advantage, and in the wet I'd absolutely slaughter everyone, as my car had a more rearward weight bias.

Overall some circuits it would give me an advantage, but usually I'd guess I had a disadvantage of about 0.2-0.3s a lap on a 'normal' sized circuit.

In the GT3 Cup car, with 430bhp and 1300 kilos, my 20 kilo disadvantage means nothing. The tyres last just as long, there's no difference in straight line speed and while there may be a slight change in the left/right balance I've yet to notice it. My far more experienced team mate is about 2 tenths quicker than me on a good day in my car at Silverstone National, which judging by the data trace is purely down to technique on a couple of the corners.

However, despite training quite hard and being at least as fit as my direct competitors, I still find it tiring on some of the circuits, particularly during a race where concentration is higher. I get hot, my muscles ache and I do find it difficult to concentrate towards the end of a half hour race.

Quick Reply: How much of a factor is personal body weight in car racing?