Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a factor is personal body weight in car racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
It all depends what you're driving and if the minium weight includes the weight of the driver:

In my 944 spec my body weight is ~8.5% of the overall weight, but the car is light enough that I am right at the minimum weight requirement despite my size. In this case it shouldn't make a huge difference although if I weighed 100 pounds less I could put that ballast in an optimal location to help the CG and cornerbalance.

In my kart my weight is ~52% of the overall weight and I'm 15-20 pounds over the minimum weight requirement. In this case it is a massive disadvantage, and there isn't really anything I can do about it.
Karting. How many seconds is your 20 pounds worth on a certain course? I constantly go karting to keep my mind acute to driving something on a track - but it is occasionally frustrating to be up to a second or 1.5 off the best lap time when you know you are doing everything nearly perfectly. I consider the challenge fun, usually, but when you know you are obviously a better driver than the rest of the field and you can't make up the difference fully, it can be aggravating.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
To meet minimum weight carry ballast is better than body mass since the ballast will be placed low and in a location which helps improve the balance of the car.
Generally true but some classes (SRF) spec where you carry ballast to minimize any advantage.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dave, yeah. I saw it too. This summer I'll be in a new class Ariel Atom 3 - 1300 lb car, 300 HP Honda power. Min weight will be 1500 lbs all up. Anyone who weighs 250 will have a problem. Even if we move the minimums to 1600 lbs, I'll be looking for some depleted uranium ballast
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sunday: I have raced SRF's, including in a 6 hour enduro, and thought it was the most pure racing fun I have ever had.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Cool. I did the 6 hour at TWS a few years ago in SRF and it was a blast. Ask Robert H about the toilet paper incident - LOL.

It was a very challenging race for me. I had never run TWS and the weather was in constant change. The most difficult with around turn 4 or 5 (I think) where water seeped out at strange times. No two laps ever seemed the same and this is really difficult as you are trying to learn a new track. Every freakin time it dried and I started to get close to competitive laps, the rain started and killed my rhythm. None the less, it is a fun track and a great event.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark since the guys in the Stohrs and Wests blow by me when I am driving is stock GT3, I think they should carry 1000 lbs ballast up on the roll bar. Damn those things are fast! Stohr with CF body does 1:35 on our track. Flying Lizard RSR does 1:37 with Von Overbeek driving. My GT3 on hoosiers 1:49. Champ car 1:21. My guess is the Atoms will be low 1:40's
Old 05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark how the heck do you refuel those things. The ones at my home track are SCCA spec and need fuel about ever 40 mins. The fuel fill is in a stupid location, directly over the engine and headers!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I always ran about 10-15 pounds over in my FC. I figured there was a LOT more in the driver than in the extra weight and I would have really hated to be bumped for being one pound under.

Some DSR guys would say they didn't paint the car to save weight. I think it had more to do with the raw carbon being a good look.

Having just switched to SRF I wonder if I'll have to go on a diet or if I can keep grilling brats and burgers all summer long. I guess i'll find out this weekend.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Cool. I did the 6 hour at TWS a few years ago in SRF and it was a blast. Ask Robert H about the toilet paper incident - LOL.

It was a very challenging race for me. I had never run TWS and the weather was in constant change. The most difficult with around turn 4 or 5 (I think) where water seeped out at strange times. No two laps ever seemed the same and this is really difficult as you are trying to learn a new track. Every freakin time it dried and I started to get close to competitive laps, the rain started and killed my rhythm. None the less, it is a fun track and a great event.
That's where I did it, too...November 2006, IIRC. Weather was great for us.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Mark how the heck do you refuel those things. The ones at my home track are SCCA spec and need fuel about ever 40 mins. The fuel fill is in a stupid location, directly over the engine and headers!
Yup. They are built to run sprint races. You have to remove the tail to fill them, and as you observed, the fill is in a very nasty place. Not a big deal when you have hours between sessions but pretty scary when you are trying to fuel between quick sessions.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Yup. They are built to run sprint races. You have to remove the tail to fill them, and as you observed, the fill is in a very nasty place. Not a big deal when you have hours between sessions but pretty scary when you are trying to fuel between quick sessions.
Fill carefully and carry a big fire extinguisher!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Wada-mean? "not true"? If you have a 100lbs advantage as a girl in SpeedGT/touring, i dont care where you put the weight, its going to be a disadvantage. Just in acceleration alone, it might be worth near 10hp.

Now, what you are getting at might be true, if the weight was evenly distributed on the human body. Most big dudes have most of their weight in the lower section of their bodies. If so, it might not be such a disadvantage, especially if we are talking about a counterclockwise track.

So yes, I would rather have weight in a ballast box than in my gut!

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Um....not true. A hugely heavy drover is much worse for center of mass, etc. than ballasting to the same total weight, or than a light drover in very lightweight or underpowered cars, IMO.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Karting. How many seconds is your 20 pounds worth on a certain course? I constantly go karting to keep my mind acute to driving something on a track - but it is occasionally frustrating to be up to a second or 1.5 off the best lap time when you know you are doing everything nearly perfectly. I consider the challenge fun, usually, but when you know you are obviously a better driver than the rest of the field and you can't make up the difference fully, it can be aggravating.
10lbs is worth about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds on a typical kart track. 1.5s is a ton of time in racing, and in karting, it is an eternity.

______
Jason
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark, if you read Dave's post, you are saying the same thing as he is. There is NO argument. By the way unless we're talking about a pear shaped fattie, men have their mass higher on the torso than in the gut - which makes things even worse.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

Having just switched to SRF I wonder if I'll have to go on a diet or if I can keep grilling brats and burgers all summer long. I guess i'll find out this weekend.
On completely clean car, you can weigh about 230lbs before starting to get concerned about being over weight. I have a few rivet repairs and a little bondo, and weigh 210lbs with gear. I had to add 20lbs of ballast and was exactly 1670 (actually hovering 1668, 1669, 1670, etc) at VIR a few weeks ago.

_____
Jason

Quick Reply: How much of a factor is personal body weight in car racing?