Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you still watching the ALMS?
Yes, I'm a fan through thick and thin
43.27%
Yes, it's worth it for GT2 alone
44.23%
No, I'm watching Grand Am
9.62%
No, I'm on a hiatus from all American endurance racing
2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Are you still watching the ALMS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you still watching the ALMS?

With the exception of Sebring, and Petit, I'm not. No matter how good GT2 is I refuse to watch a 3 hour Acura parade/commercial. It's just Grand Am for me this year, I've learned to drink the Kool Aid. The cars may be ugly, but there are plenty of them and the racing is good.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

GA doesn't fascinate me too much except for the GT cars....and i don't like the fact the everyone EXCEPT Porsche has a tube framed car. Pontiac...yeah right, in stickers only.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I LOVE the DP cars!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I LOVE the DP cars!!!
Why is it that they are getting less ugly? Oh yeah, maybe it's the fender-banging and hard side-by-side racing!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep...always great racing with this series. As the economy comes back so will more teams.

C.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
With the exception of Sebring, and Petit, I'm not. No matter how good GT2 is I refuse to watch a 3 hour Acura parade/commercial. It's just Grand Am for me this year, I've learned to drink the Kool Aid. The cars may be ugly, but there are plenty of them and the racing is good.
So i guess when things go bad for your favorite sports team you dump them as well????

Yes the ALMS is not what it was last year but why give up. The GT battles are great and getting some good tv coverage, the P catergories may not be the best but i think it was cool how acura built there machine. I also think 2010 will be a better year with more P cars. If you do enjoy ALMS racing now is the time to support them, so they can grow.

I have learned to watch the grand am series as well, i am getting use to the DP's but like many have said here the GT class sucks, even the porsche drivers were saying yesterday they cant compete in the dry with the tube frame cars
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM
DanR
Drifting

I wish the camera work was better and they would show more of the GT battles
Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I wish the camera work was better and they would show more of the GT battles
Yes. Now that the prototype classes are thin it's nice to see more focus on GT cars which I've always been more interested in anyway. The GT2 Corvette should give the Porsches and Ferraris a real run and hopefully the BMW will get up to speed.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

I think it is still the best road racing in North America. Fingers crossed for the return of Audi later this year or in 2010 to keep Acura in the series, otherwise we'll really see the prototype count implode.

Go Lizards in 2009!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by ajcjr
So i guess when things go bad for your favorite sports team you dump them as well????

Yes the ALMS is not what it was last year but why give up. The GT battles are great and getting some good tv coverage, the P catergories may not be the best but i think it was cool how acura built there machine. I also think 2010 will be a better year with more P cars. If you do enjoy ALMS racing now is the time to support them, so they can grow.

I have learned to watch the grand am series as well, i am getting use to the DP's but like many have said here the GT class sucks, even the porsche drivers were saying yesterday they cant compete in the dry with the tube frame cars
I don't dump a team when things aren't going well, but if the Red Sox, Yankees, and 13 other teams pulled out of the MLB (1/2) because the series was poorly run I'd probably stop watching....
Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
wanna911
Race Car

ALMS is relatively boring this year compared to last, but I still like it 10x better than Rolex. When that Pontiac went from last at Lime Rock last year and just drove around the entire field into first I just about lost it. Wonder what Rolex is going to do when GM pulls all that lovely tax payer advertising money out.

DP, all the cars look the same to me, I find myself looking at the windsheild all the time to remember what type of car it is. I'd rather the manufacturers have to built their own chassis. But it is exciting racing though.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTosi
I am suprised that you think this.

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I LOVE the DP cars!!!
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Why is it that they are getting less ugly? Oh yeah, maybe it's the fender-banging and hard side-by-side racing!
I like the less refined than F1 cars and drivers racing. Not for wrecks, I don't like the wrecks at all, but for the unpredictability of it.

BTW they are still ugly, just good woman ugly, you like her enough look past the butterface.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
BTW they are still ugly, just good woman ugly, you like her enough look past the butterface.
I wouldn't be that harsh but now that you mention it, I do have an analogy! ALMS is Keira and Rolex is Jillian. Different strokes!
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
DanR
Drifting

close the thread at Keira, nothing can get better or more interesting!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I watch and like both series, not sure why so many people feel if you are an ALMS fan you have to dislike GrandAM and vice-versa. I think the tech and innovation in the ALMS series adds a lot, and I tend to get more excited about ALMS races, even with the low car counts this year. GrandAM has lots of fender banging and tough racing, good stuff but the DPs still don't do much for me. Although they are both road racing sports cars I think that each series provides it's own unique show, it means I get to watch twice as much racing too and that's a good thing.

Quick Reply: Are you still watching the ALMS?